2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So Cocaine Mitch likely isn’t going to get this shit passed through the Senate.

Meanwhile Nancy continues to pass clean bipartisan CRs in the House. 

It would be nice if the Democrats in the Senate could stay united, but I have a feeling one or two will peel off and vote for cloture if it gets that far.

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hundreds of thousands of federal employees angry, frustrated, and hurting for cash. Seems like fertile recruiting grounds for foreign intelligence services. If you have access to state secrets, your kids don't have to go hungry. 

Don’t forget the two million contractors who are out, and may not even get any backpay.  

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t forget the two million contractors who are out, and may not even get any backpay.  

Client called today and said they are at 60 days max. They have been told by DOD/DHS to continue as normal, invoice as contracted, but there is no one to sign the contact. 

We do advance recon and research for them so we are not part of their contracts. We are the first line cut. Yay...... 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

So I saw something on twitter, and blew it off, that at a certain amount of days of the shutdown, federal employees could be outright fired if they didn’t show up. 

Is this actually related to that?

I do know that if you are supposed to work, and had previously scheduled time off, that time off is canceled. During the round of shutdowns during the prior administration, one of my clients lost harvest help because his brother that comes back to help him pick corn had to report to work instead of taking some of his time off to help him like he did other years. 

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So I saw something on twitter, and blew it off, that at a certain amount of days of the shutdown, federal employees could be outright fired if they didn’t show up. 

Is this actually related to that?

Could be.   In my wife's situation, yes, she can be terminated for failing to report to work.

Rules vary from department to department.

Trump’s phony ‘compromise’ has now been unmasked as a total sham

Trump’s proposal, as presented in his speech the other day, would reopen the government, provided that Democrats agree to $5.7 billion in spending on his border wall. It would also include hundreds of thousands of dollars in humanitarian provisions, which is good (though the administration itself wants those funds)....

The proposal on the dreamers was whittled down to the point where it only undoes the disaster Trump himself is orchestrating. The New York Times recently reported that Miller privately “intervened” to ensure that the bill dramatically downsizes the number of dreamers who would get protections. He cut that number from 1.8 billion to 700,000 (the number Trump referenced).

The bill text confirms this and illustrates how it was done. It grants three years of protected lawful status plus work authorization only to those who are currently on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, not to all of those who are eligible for it, a much larger pool. It cannot be renewed.

This is a badly truncated version of the Bridge Act, a measure championed by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) that would have granted this status to the larger pool of those who are DACA-eligible. Thus, Trump’s proposal would only restore temporary protections that were already granted and that Trump has tried to take away (his effort to cancel DACA is tied up in court). The press release accompanying the new bill misleadingly calls the new measure “the Bridge Act,” inadvertently preserving the taint of bad faith pervading this particular provision.

The new proposal is much worse on asylum seekers than advertised. The bill text explains what Trump really meant when he claimed his proposal would create a “new” way for Central American migrant children to apply for asylum. The proposal actually declares that the only way any of them will be eligible for asylum going forward is if they apply for it outside the United States at soon-to-be-created application centers in Central America, according to several legal experts I spoke with about this.

Those experts point out that this would in effect close off the main avenue for these minors to apply — that is, the right to apply when they enter the United States and are apprehended. To be clear, creating an out-of-country way to apply is not itself a bad thing, and the proposal appears ostensibly to be in keeping with an aim that appears understandable on its face — the desire to discourage the journey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/22/trumps-phony-compromise-has-now-been-unmasked-total-sham/?utm_term=.05924ffd23ca

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There's a reason Nance is not going to make deals with Trump.  They are all in bad faith or contain ridiculous poison pills added in by Miller.

This.  There is only one path to negotiating with a person like Trump: DON'T.  He is incapable of negotiating honestly and in good faith. He is incapable of following through on any promise or representation he makes.  There can be no "deal" with him, because he won't stick with it.  So, no negotiations.  No deals.  He can work through the actual mechanisms of law set forth in the Constitution: Congress should pass laws, the President can veto, then Congress can override if they have the votes.  Otherwise, fuck off.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, retread said:

The New York Times recently reported that Miller privately “intervened” to ensure that the bill dramatically downsizes the number of dreamers who would get protections. He cut that number from 1.8 billion to 700,000 (the number Trump referenced).

AND YOU PEOPLE CLAIM DEMOCRATS DON'T WANT OPEN BORDERS!  Everyone in the western hemisphere could be a Dreamer!

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're getting close to it being time for a general strike, period.

Ex sister-in-law is an air traffic controller at Seattle-Tacoma Int.  She said that there's a rumor that air traffic controllers are going to call in sick in Atlanta in the middle of next week, shutting down the largest airport in the world just in time for the Super Bowl.  Two of her co-workers have taken retail jobs in order to make ends meet, so they're coming in to work dog tired.  She says there is a lot of desperation now. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ex sister-in-law is an air traffic controller at Seattle-Tacoma Int.  She said that there's a rumor that air traffic controllers are going to go on strike in Atlanta in the middle of next week, shutting down the largest airport in the world just in time for the Super Bowl.

tenor.gif?itemid=3470411

26 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

so they're coming in to work dog tired. 

That's what I look for in Air Traffic Controllers. My job, I can fuck off and whatever, shit gets done the next day. ATC, yeah, that could be fun saying fuck it at work. This could end well.

29 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ex sister-in-law is an air traffic controller at Seattle-Tacoma Int.  She said that there's a rumor that air traffic controllers are going to call in sick in Atlanta in the middle of next week, shutting down the largest airport in the world just in time for the Super Bowl.  Two of her co-workers have taken retail jobs in order to make ends meet, so they're coming in to work dog tired.  She says there is a lot of desperation now. 

This would be hilariously awesome. 

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

This would be hilariously awesome. 

I mean, I just assume none of the TSA guys are coming in the day after the Superbowl.  You don't need an organized effort to pull that off.  It's just the obvious thing to do.

Edited by Bateshorn

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ex sister-in-law is an air traffic controller at Seattle-Tacoma Int.  She said that there's a rumor that air traffic controllers are going to call in sick in Atlanta in the middle of next week, shutting down the largest airport in the world just in time for the Super Bowl.  

Please, please, please let this transpire.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  There is only one path to negotiating with a person like Trump: DON'T.  He is incapable of negotiating honestly and in good faith. He is incapable of following through on any promise or representation he makes.  There can be no "deal" with him, because he won't stick with it.  So, no negotiations.  No deals.  He can work through the actual mechanisms of law set forth in the Constitution: Congress should pass laws, the President can veto, then Congress can override if they have the votes.  Otherwise, fuck off.

And it's also why the Republicans aren't sticking their necks out.  Trump could change his mind at any minute and leave them out to dry.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, DixonHur said:

I do think it's been odd that the TSA gets all the press when the air traffic controllers are also not getting paid, but way more important IMO.

Have to be in Dallas tomorrow for an 11 AM meeting.  This is a meeting I'd normally fly up for, but I'm not flying anywhere I don't have to until this thing is over.  ATC not getting paid makes me fucking nervous. Overworked ATC is a recipe for disaster, and overworked and unpaid ATC is only going to increase the likelihood they aren't 100% on their game.  I can do without that.

Dems will vote against The Trump bill because it's too much money for the wall - McConnell cries that the Democrats are obstructing

GOP will vote against the Pelosi House bill (bc that's what it is now) because there's no wall money - Schumer cries that Republicans are obstructing

Blah

Blah

Blah

Shutdown will rage on.

Regarding sick outs by TSA, ATC, etc. wife sent me this link.  Article from earlier today:

https://m.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2019/01/opm-warns-feds-against-sick-outs/154334/?oref=m-ge-river

As a suspected sick out grows at the Transportation Security Administration, the Trump team warned excepted federal employees against skipping work.

The Office of Personnel Management last week issued a rare unsigned memo to agency heads featuring a round-up of frequently asked questions about the lapse in appropriations. In addition to highlighting the process for agencies to distribute new furlough notifications, required now that the partial government shutdown has surpassed the 30-day threshold, officials stressed agencies’ authority to punish excepted employees if they do not show up for work by labeling them as "Absent Without Leave."

“If an employee is excepted from furlough, and therefore required to work during the shutdown yet has failed to do so, he or she would be considered AWOL during the period of any such unauthorized absence,” OPM wrote. “The employee’s unauthorized absence should be coded in payroll as AWOL.”

When the shutdown first began, the Trump administration sought to be lenient toward absences from excepted employees, who are required to work without pay, in part because the first full week of the partial government shutdown coincided with Christmas and year-end vacations.

But as the lapse in appropriations has dragged on, increasing numbers of feds, particularly at the TSA, have begun calling in sick. The rate of absent excepted employees at the agency responsible for passenger screenings at airports grew to 10 percent over the weekend, and the agency has suggested it may have to temporarily move employees from one airport to another to cope with absences.

In its memo, OPM instructed agencies to consider punitive action toward excepted employees officials believe have been absent either without a “legitimate” reason or as part of a sick-out.

“The agency may use its discretion, based on the facts and circumstances of the employee’s situation, to apply appropriate consequences based on the AWOL status,” OPM wrote. “When an excepted employee is unable to work based on a legitimate impediment, an agency or supervisor retains the right to place them in a furlough status.”

The ability of agencies to punish federal employees who do not wish to work without pay is the subject of multiple lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of the partial government shutdown. Federal workers and unions argue that the threat that employees could be punished or lose their jobs if they do not agree to work without pay could constitute violations of the Fifth and 13th amendments of the U.S. Constitution. A hearing on these lawsuits is scheduled for Jan. 31.

OPM’s memo also seeks to help excepted employees whose transit subsidies have been suspended as a part of the shutdown. Although those workers are still required to pay out of pocket for their transportation to and from work, OPM said they will be able to apply for reimbursement after agencies reopen.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Dems will vote against The Trump bill because it's too much money for the wall - McConnell cries that the Democrats are obstructing

GOP will vote against the Pelosi House bill (bc that's what it is now) because there's no wall money - Schumer cries that Republicans are obstructing

Blah

Blah

Blah

Shutdown will rage on.

If that's what happens then every Republican who voted for the exact same thing when it was a GOP Senate bill needs to be publicly called out. Journalists need to question every one of them why they were for it when it could have prevented the shutdown but are against it now to end the shutdown. 

Congressional Republicans are such pussies. If they stood up to Trump, he'd back down just like any schoolyard bully. 

• Like 2