2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Collins be like “see I’m a moderate!” So everyone forgets her Kavanaugh vote 

Make no mistake about it. Turtlehead already knows he has his vote and has given his blessing for select deflections to hopefully enhance their 2020 election chances.

Edited by ruitxn

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ouch....

....because it's not harsh enough.

That's the real problem behind immigration issues.  The GOP can't even get on the same page, because there's only two kinds of approaches, with no crossover between them: dickish, and super-dickish.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, but he’s not lockstepping with Trump and even if his reasons are bad, that’s noteworthy 

Not really.  Again, if the defection is, in an isolated case, "Trump isn't being Trumpy enough," that's not noteworthy at all, except to tell us that Trumpism is even bigger and worse than Trump himself (which we already knew).

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not really.  Again, if the defection is, in an isolated case, "Trump isn't being Trumpy enough," that's not noteworthy at all, except to tell us that Trumpism is even bigger and worse than Trump himself (which we already knew).

Can you explain the Cotton Russian sanctions vote? 

I’m guessing he just wanted to be on the right side of history when he eventually runs for potus

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Wilbur Ross: "I don't understand these people's concerns. For the life of me I don't see why they don't just call up their Goldman Sachs representative and move some money from their generation skipping trusts to their checking accounts to get through this shutdown. In the very least, they could at least tap into one of their Cayman or Swiss accounts to hold them over" 

1 minute ago, Lagunamadre said:

Wilbur Ross: "I don't understand these people's concerns. For the life of me I don't see why they don't just call up their Goldman Sachs representative and move some money from their generation skipping trusts to their checking accounts to get through this shutdown. In the very least, they could at least tap into one of their Cayman or Swiss accounts to hold them over" 

Seriously, the "let them eat cake" asininity of this admin -- coming from MULTIPLE sources -- is astonishing.

And as to the idea that "see, the government doesn't really do anything, I'm not feeling it!" stupidity....it reminds me of this old ad campaign for BASF:

we-dont-make-a-lot-of-the-products-you-b

There's a metric shitton of stuff that the government does that most folks don't know about because it's mundane, behind-the-scenes stuff.

You trade in the stock market.  Great, a triumph of capitalism?  Who works to keep stock transactions honest, and not fraudulent?  The SEC.

You had lettuce today on your salad or burger.  Who inspected it to keep it safe?  The FDA.

You live in a shit little rural town.  But it's still alive.  Who keeps commerce flowing there?  The USDA (in more ways than you can imagine).

You flew today.  Your plane didn't crash into another plane.  Thank the Air Traffic Controllers.

You were WORRIED about a plane crash, so you drove on I-10 instead.  Built in large part with Federal infrastructure dollars.

That drive made you thirsty.  You stopped and drank from a water fountain.  The water didn't poison you, because of Federal water quality standards.

On your way through the shit rural town, your Allsup's burritos hit you, and you had to drop a deuce.  You flushed, and your runny shit went down the pipes to a sewage treatment plant built largely with federal (often USDA, in these parts of the country) dollars.

When you crossed the state line, a shitty truck driver rear ended you and cost you $200k in medical bills.  You sued him and recovered...in Federal court (diversity of citizenship of the parties put you there).

And we could go on.  For days.

If your rebuttal is "oh yeah, well, SOME people died of E.Coli on their lettuce!", you're right, and you're making the point.  SOME people died.  There are around 90 e. coli deaths in the US each year.  In India, 380,000 a year die from diarrhea (including e. coli  and other illnesses -- it's not separated out).  Gov't services aren't perfect.  In some cases, they even suck.  But in a crapload of cases, you don't realize how integrated they are into everything you use.

Anyone who works in a world that touches on the Federal government at ALL is already seeing impacts from this asininity.  It will take time for many of these effects to reach folks who are less connected.  But they will.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Texas Tribune on Texas Congressmen's thoughts on Wall and whether a shutdown is worth it.  1 interesting is Cornyn saying "there is no one-size-fits-all solution to the border."

Is Cornyn actually showing a bit of sense now that he isn't in the senate leadership?

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea... if you won't want to make a stand or want to float in the middle then the best thing to do was vote Yes on both measures.  Then it can be.... I just wanted to open the government!

I don't see an issue about voting yes on both if you don't really care about the wall issue.  And to be honest, it's not like Trump can build a sea-to-sea wall for 5B.   The Dems should still fight him as a whole but I can see some would be willing to cross the aisle for either bill.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, Js1 said:

Dems will vote against The Trump bill because it's too much money for the wall - McConnell cries that the Democrats are obstructing

GOP will vote against the Pelosi House bill (bc that's what it is now) because there's no wall money - Schumer cries that Republicans are obstructing

Blah

Blah

Blah

Shutdown will rage on.

Boy that was obvious.

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

SOME people died.  There are around 90 e. coli deaths in the US each year.  In India, 380,000 a year die from diarrhea (including e. coli  and other illnesses -- it's not separated out). 

food poisoning is so rare in this country that people getting ill makes national news.  not dying, just ill.  no one died from chipotle* and there were serious concerns if the business would ever recover.  chipotle literally closed all of its stores over it. 

*i know this isn't the first time i've looked for this information and i just looked again and i don't find anyone actually having died. 

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't see an issue about voting yes on both if you don't really care about the wall issue.  And to be honest, it's not like Trump can build a sea-to-sea wall for 5B.   The Dems should still fight him as a whole but I can see some would be willing to cross the aisle for either bill.

Voting yes to both means you’re okay with the president taking hostages to get what he wants. 

It means you have no business being a United States Senator. 

JMO

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story