Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

36 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was making an unfair broad generalization but we shouldn’t pretend like the all white male rich Catholic high schools don’t have something to do with Trumpism. 

Sounds weird, we have a ton of Catholic High Schools here but none of them would fit that description. The whites send their kids to Episcopal schools.

33 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I credit much of my worldview from being educated all over the country with people from all walks of life and attending public school.

Me too, I went to a public school in a weird southern area where the school district was basically 45% black 50% white and 5% "other" (mostly Indians and a few Chinese) but we had four 4-year universities within 60 miles of us and a lot of of the high school teachers were spouses of college professors.  Our school had something like a 90% graduation rate and 90% of those graduates at least entered college - this was back in the late 1980's where that wasn't exactly normal, especially in the deep south.  Our high school got rated as one of the top 25 public high schools in the country one time while I was there.  Go us.

I also had the benefit of a dad that worked all over the world so I was always interested in the different countries he went to.  Best present I ever got was the set of encyclopedias that I went through book by book, page by page.  I remember him coming back from places like Colombia during their violent times and Angola during the height of their civil war.  He was also on one of the last flights out of Beijing before the Tienanmen massacre.  After that last one I started to doubt he really worked in the oil and gas industry and was more likely a CIA operative. 

Alas,  once I reached adulthood I took a chance on working overseas just to give it a shot on my old man's advice.  18 years and 5 countries of residence later I am very glad I did.  You think you see things as being bad in the US now?  I left the US in 2002 and made my first trip back in 2004.  When I landed in the States there were big screens all through the airport with Dick Cheney talking about how you need to do your duty and look for suspicious terrorist type people  My reaction was, "What the fuck is this?  This is some real George Orwell 1984 shit."

Little did I know, y'all were just getting started.  It's out of control now.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Squidward is proof positive that Duke College is an out school for rich yankee kids that can't get into real Ivy League schools or Rice / Stanford.

This is a horrible take. Duke is harder to get into than at least a couple of Ivy members. It's much harder to get into than Rice. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a horrible take. Duke is harder to get into than at least a couple of Ivy members. It's much harder to get into than Rice. 

Rice accepted 11% of applicants last year. I doubt Duke is significantly harder to get into than that.

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Rice accepted 11% of applicants last year. I doubt Duke is significantly harder to get into than that.

According to the googlegs, Duke College had an acceptance rate of 11.4% last year.  I call that a draw.  Perhaps the 0.4% difference were the Stephen Miller types that Rice would not want associated with their name?

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s a little different in Louisiana I guess.  

Probably, Catholic schools here tend to be filled with Mexican middle class families. They are fairly inexpensive and provide a good but not great education so they aren't something associated with privilege in this neck of the woods. A lot of these schools were established when segregation was still in place.

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

They're closer than I thought. But Duke has almost twice as many applicants, so you can't just compare %s. 

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Look at the product they produce.

I'm taking you up on your point about admissions standards. Which was hilariously stupid. Try and stay on the topic of your own comment. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Duke SAT range:  1430-1560

Rice SAT range:  1520-1590

(according to the intergoogles)

Yes, I apologize, I misspoke, but saying Duke is full of kids that didn't get into Rice or Ivy's is not true at all. 

God it's been a boring day at work. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They're closer than I thought.

They're the same.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

But Duke has almost twice as many applicants, so you can't just compare %s. 

I'm taking you up on your point about admissions standards. Which was hilariously stupid. Try and stay on the topic of your own comment. 

Maybe Duke College has 2x as may applicants because every dipshit in America sees their basketball team and thinks they can go to school there?

Better name recognition doesn't make for a better school.  That's exactly my point and you confirmed it when you said they have the same acceptance rate.  I would venture to guess the average scores for applicants applying to Rice are higher than those applying to Duke College. 

Doesn't cost all that much money to fill out an application on a hope and a whim that you find a loophole to get into a known school.  To apply to a true academic institution like Rice, means you know what you're doing.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, sorry, was trying to figure out if you were talking about the state or a specific city. 

Regardless, there are plenty of rich white catholic schools in TX.

Yeah, I was providing a perspective from the brown side of the state.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Duke SAT range:  1430-1560

Rice SAT range:  1520-1590

(according to the intergoogles)

Duke Basketball all-time W/L record:   2144-881. .709

Rice Basketball all-time W/L record:  1110-1438. .436

I couldn't give a shit about Duke basketball.  I know there's no comparison between the two programs.  Just wanted to add this to the conversation.  Probably the only time in my life I had the chance (or will ever care to) to compare the two basketball programs.

Carry on everyone.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Way way back in the day I thought Stanford was harder to get into than Rice.  And it was on raw percentages of admissions.  But back then, the average Rice SATs were higher.

Rice is one of the hardest schools in America to get into and by some chance and circumstance I had the chance to go there.  I still wound up ok, but I still kick myself in the nuts every now and then for not accepting that offer.

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Duke Basketball all-time W/L record:   2144-881. .709

Rice Basketball all-time W/L record:  1110-1438. .436

I couldn't give a shit about Duke basketball.  I know there's no comparison between the two programs.  Just wanted to add this to the conversation.  Probably the only time in my life I had the chance (or will ever care to) to compare the two basketball programs.

Carry on everyone.  

And that's fair...

Just now, 'stache said:

Did Hannity really succumb to dear leaders pathetic beg that they be nice to him? I thought Hannity was on the "shut the fucking government down again" train.

Yes, yes he did.  This is from Wednesday.  Today, Trump did it to the letter:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sean-hannity-how-trump-can-take-congress-garbage-deal-and-stick-the-wall-down-their-throats

It would be perfectly reasonable for President Trump to reject this bill, but there may be another, even better solution. Step one: The president signs the deal, and uses the $1.375 billion as a downpayment for the wall. Step two: President Trump has identified some $900 million for additional construction that is already available for the administration's discretion. That would bring the pot to about $2.3 billion. Step three: This needs to happen simultaneously, and it has the president declaring a national emergency. This is the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They're the same.

Maybe Duke College has 2x as may applicants because every dipshit in America sees their basketball team and thinks they can go to school there?

Better name recognition doesn't make for a better school.  That's exactly my point and you confirmed it when you said they have the same acceptance rate.  I would venture to guess the average scores for applicants applying to Rice are higher than those applying to Duke College. 

Doesn't cost all that much money to fill out an application on a hope and a whim that you find a loophole to get into a known school.  To apply to a true academic institution like Rice, means you know what you're doing.

Are you trolling? Duke College? True academic institution? 

Is this what y'all do on this board? ffs.

Go look up any ranking anywhere. Any website. Any publication. Find one that has Rice slotted over Duke. Please.

I'm actually astonished that Rice's test scores are that high.  Not that it's not a fantastic school, it is, but those scores are well above those of Northwestern, Stanford, and yes, Duke.  They're roughly equivalent to those at Washington University and the more prominent Ivies.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm actually astonished that Rice's test scores are that high.  Not that it's not a fantastic school, it is, but those scores are well above those of Northwestern, Stanford, and yes, Duke.  They're roughly equivalent to those at Washington University and the more prominent Ivies.

It ain't called the Harvard of the South for nuthin'.

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It ain't called the Harvard of the South for nuthin'.

Yeah, but lots of schools are called "the Harvard of the _____".   Anyway, good for Rice.

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol how are people shocked at how good Rice is? Its been the best university in the southern US for a while now

There's a difference between thinking it's a great school on the caliber of a Northwestern, etc. and seeing admission standards higher than those of Stanford.  They're all rare air, but damn.

Edited by jimmyjazz