Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

13 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

He will give the speech in Senate chambers. No democrats will show up and the Republicans hands will be become blistered as they do their best to emulate North Korean citizens watching their dear leader propagandize them. 

CNN/MSNBC will claim we've hit a new low. Fox will jiz their pants as the "libs are being owned". 

Normal Americans will be sad at the State of our Union, unfortunately a feeling as familiar to us as breathing. 

I believe the Senate still has to vote to allow him to do it.

Something tells me they don't have 60 votes. 

1 minute ago, Zombie said:

I likewise am not very well versed in the Venezuela situation, but what I've read today in the NYT and elsewhere is that Maduro was not legitimately elected and this new guy is a more legitimate leader based on the corruption of Maduro's election. If the existing government is not legitimate, then there cannot really be a coup. I despise Trump, but I think this is a good step forward for the long suffering Venezuelan people. 

yes, but it will have some not-so-easy-to-weather effects on the global oil market. more pain points.

which normally would be easier to bring into the fold,. but with all the pain trump's inflicted on the american people with the shutdown, i think patience for this will be low. if gas prices start rising, it will be good for other sectors of our economy as well, but for the everyman, it's going to suck.

that said, it's the actual right thing to do to put pressure on the corrupt and illegitimate maduro regime. fuck that guy and fuck chavez in his moldering dead eye sockets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It will get held in the ballroom or whatever at Trump's hotel in DC, and it will also double as a campaign rally.

He'll have the teens on there, and Hannity will broadcast from the place with an exclusive interview, and whatnot.  Diamond and Silk will probably be in attendance, too.

The working title will be "The REAL State of the Union Address, starring President Donald J. Trump"

1 minute ago, Zombie said:

I likewise am not very well versed in the Venezuela situation, but what I've read today in the NYT and elsewhere is that Maduro was not legitimately elected and this new guy is a more legitimate leader based on the corruption of Maduro's election. If the existing government is not legitimate, then there cannot really be a coup. I despise Trump, but I think this is a good step forward for the long suffering Venezuelan people. 

But Trump is joining Bolsonaro in backing an opposition leader. Are we going to actually pretend that either of these guys give a shit about Venezuela (outside of their oil) ?

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

yes, but it will have some not-so-easy-to-weather effects on the global oil market. more pain points.

which normally would be easier to bring into the fold,. but with all the pain trump's inflicted on the american people with the shutdown, i think patience for this will be low. if gas prices start rising, it will be good for other sectors of our economy as well, but for the everyman, it's going to suck.

that said, it's the actual right thing to do to put pressure on the corrupt and illegitimate maduro regime. fuck that guy and fuck chavez in his moldering dead eye sockets.

Is it the right thing do to back an opposition leader? Maduro is terrible, but we shouldn't be meddling in another country's power structure, right?

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Is it the right thing do to back an opposition leader? Maduro is terrible, but we shouldn't be meddling in another country's power structure, right?

well, we do this all the time, with sanctions, etc. it makes me feel gross to be on the same position as bolsonaro, but venezuela is a shambles at the moment, and has been a political thorn in our side since chavez took power.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Right. Why do you feel good about a situation where two gangsters - Trump and Bolsonaro - are teaming up to support an opposition leader?

i don't feel GOOD about it. but maduro has to go.

full disclosure a coworker and good friend of mine is a venezuelan expat, and i disclose a large amount of personal bias here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I can't keep track of what takes 60 votes and what takes 50 votes these days. I figured non-budgetary votes only needed 50 votes (plus Pence).

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i don't feel GOOD about it. but maduro has to go.

full disclosure a coworker and good friend of mine is a venezuelan expat, and i disclose a large amount of personal bias here.

I likewise don't feel good about it, but I believe action is necessary with millions of their people literally starving. However, there will absolutely be unintended consequences. 

34 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

But Trump is joining Bolsonaro in backing an opposition leader. Are we going to actually pretend that either of these guys give a shit about Venezuela (outside of their oil) ?

Trudeau joined them too.  Blah.

It's me, the guy who wants to overthrow a democratically elected government through unliteral action but feels VERY BAD about doing it.

lol you guys

"There's a starvation problem in Venezuela!"

- "Should we send direct aid and food? Should we help?"

"No! REGIME CHANGE ALWAYS WORKS!"

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Of course not. But I also don't think we should fail to address the problem because it's too vast and it's easier to ignore it because it makes some of us cozy on the inside. I'm all for prosecution and deportation of ALL illegals, regardless if they came here through a border or on a visa. 

You do realize that if this were to happen the construction business would be done. 

And when the new home business goes away the economy is doomed.

7 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

As stated, I see it as a start. The alternative is to continue on with "catch and release" while never attempting to solve the problem. 

The alternative, and the most effective strategy if you want to deter people south of the border (brown people), is to dry up the jobs.  You do that by fixing the Social Security Administration and the IRS systems, such that multiple people are not able to file with the same Social Security numbers.  

You also crack  down on the companies and industries that are using the most labor from South off the border  - you know, construction and agriculture.  Restaurant/hospitality to a lesser extent   

There’s only one catch: those industries donate heavily to the GOP, and the Republican President made a lot of money from the construction and hospitality industries.

Which is why he and the GOP know that a wall will do nothing but satisfy the Republicans who don’t want to busy themselves with critical thinking about why people come here from south of the border.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

DxoBQEbWwAUzL6k.jpg

I don't know what triggers me more, Trump's stupid fat orange face, the terrible mow job, or the oversized shoes the kid seems to be wearing.

For me, its the strip of grass that little fucker is going to leave behind by not being able to mow straight.

Edited by Burt

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You do realize that if this were to happen the construction business would be done. 

And when the new home business goes away the economy is doomed.

Holy shit, no kidding. Prosecute and deport ALL illegals?

Not to flame, but that's the dumbest thing in this entire thread for a number of reasons. 

Cost of prosecution? Cost of deportation? As mentioned, effect on economy? 

Never go full retard.

5 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

What you’ve written is not untrue, it’s just one-sided. If we are going to play the “political points” game, we can trot out minorities, gays, bathrooms, Catholica school kids, etc. from the other side of the aisle too. If you think that Hillary Clinton gives two shits about a black gay couple trying to get married, you need your head checked. 

To use an earlier counterpoint against your argument, we setup an economic system based on slave labor that was very successful for 100+ years. We’ve reversed course completely and added both laws and an Amendment to further blacks as equal citizens in this country. I think that we can both agree that the ground still isn’t level. (Without getting into why we think it’s not) Still, the life as a black person in 2019 is far greater than that of a black person in 1800. 

My point is that you can use this argument to argue in either direction. One, we had existing laws that worked for the vast majority of the country to build the foundation of this country which was thriving, so why change? Second, changing course gave berth to an even greater society from a humanistic standard, even if it’s not a perfect solution. How do you know that Americans won’t do the work if the pay is for a living wage? Isn’t that capitalism? The job needs to be done so I have to be competitive in what I offer or else my business will suffer. 

I would amend your statement that Americans are too proud to consider those jobs because they have been demonized as being below standard. It’s an honest living for an honest day’s pay. Wouldn’t that work in favor of unemployment wages/benefits? Or help towards homelessness? 

I am bewildered by your attempt to make a point. 

First you said this isn't a complex problem, and then you replied by rattling off a bunch of special interest groups (why?), and then described a counterpoint to my argument, which you say can actually be used to argue either side of the argument.

If that wasn't enough talking in circles, then came more points, and amendments. And then quite frankly I tuned out. 

I mean, Hillary Clinton? Gay marriage? Slavery? WTF does that have to do with anything?

Distill your thoughts. 

Why is illegal immigration not a complex problem? And why will is a $5.7B piece of wall the best solution? 

And let's skip the bullshit argument that "well, a wall is better than nothing". No one here is arguing for nothing. 

• Like 2