Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

Coffee used to be dirt cheap. When I was sixteen and working at McDonald's in the early 80's a small cup of coffee cost 35 cents. And refills were free. It seems like I've seen lots of old movies and tv shows where it was a nickel or a dime a cup. I want to say it was in the 90's that the price of coffee skyrocketed. 
I don't mind paying more for good quality coffee. Starbucks isn't getting rich selling good quality coffee. They're getting rich marketing a brand, and selling mediocre quality coffee with a lot of added fats and sweeteners. 
A nickel cup of coffee used to be standard. It went to a dime then all hell broke loose.

19 minutes ago, RPM said:
42 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:
Coffee used to be dirt cheap. When I was sixteen and working at McDonald's in the early 80's a small cup of coffee cost 35 cents. And refills were free. It seems like I've seen lots of old movies and tv shows where it was a nickel or a dime a cup. I want to say it was in the 90's that the price of coffee skyrocketed. 
I don't mind paying more for good quality coffee. Starbucks isn't getting rich selling good quality coffee. They're getting rich marketing a brand, and selling mediocre quality coffee with a lot of added fats and sweeteners. 

A nickel cup of coffee used to be standard. It went to a dime then all hell broke loose.

Yep, I remember these:

Picture 1 of 5

Sadly, Biblical literacy usually means Biblical literalness, which is totally anti-Biblical literacy. I'd be supportive of true Biblical literacy, along with Koranic literacy, and Bahgavad Vitic literacy, and other religious texts. I'm guessing that isn't what they're intending. 

13 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Sadly, Biblical literacy usually means Biblical literalness, 

Nah, it'd still be selective. No way they'd want to follow ALL of the Levitical guidelines (only the ones about the wimmins and the gehys)

When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.- Leviticus 19:33-34 (NRSV)

• Like 2

Nah, it'd still be selective. No way they'd want to follow ALL of the Levitical guidelines (only the ones about the wimmins and the gehys)
When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.- Leviticus 19:33-34 (NRSV)

Oh, they rationalize that one away. “Resides with you” - “that doesn’t say anything about stopping them before they get here, which is what we gotta do! WALL!” I’m dead serious.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, F250 said:

I certainly appreciate a person that acknowledges their ignorance and has a willingness to rely on experts but the Presidency isn't the place for a neophyte to develop policy based on the opinions of others. That's how we ended up with the Bush doctrine

As a nation, we need to go back to electing experienced candidates with established policies so we know what the hell we are getting into before we elect someone.

Exactly why I never was on the Oprah bandwagon and am very reluctant to support Beto without him gaining some more experience.  If nothing else, Trump has shown the Presidency is not the place to receive on the job training or try to fake it until you make it.

Exactly why I never was on the Oprah bandwagon and am very reluctant to support Beto without him gaining some more experience.  If nothing else, Trump has shown the Presidency is not the place to receive on the job training or try to fake it until you make it.

Forgive me if I do not consider DOTUS as a representative sample of outsiders cutting their teeth in office. Trump’s major failing has less to do with lack of experience and about everything to do with his tertiary syphillis and narcissism.
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, scottsins said:

Forgive me if I do not consider DOTUS as a representative sample of outsiders cutting their teeth in office. Trump’s major failing has less to do with lack of experience and about everything to do with his tertiary syphillis and narcissism.

Concur.  Oprah shouldn't be considered as a presidential candidate, but if she were in office, I have zero doubt she wouldn't just take a long piss on the traditions of the office, decorum, and overall being a decent person.

She may very well be as ineffective a President as what we have today, but at least she wouldn't be a walking, talking national embarrassment.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Oh, trust me, if my choice is between Trump and the Rock, I'm voting Rock.  Be it Duane Johnson, igneous, sedimentary or whatever.  I just would rather the alternative to Trump be someone with major-office experience that can focus on repairing the fracturing in our society, damage to our institutions and relationships with allies without having their bandwidth chewed up by having to learn how to be a government official and politician.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The best recent example for an inexperienced good faith president is Barack Obama.

Big difference in the level of experience between someone who cut their teeth as a US senator for a term and someone who is an executive for Starbucks, hosts a talk show, stars in movies, holds a professional wrestling title belt, etc...

Edit:  Beto is fine with 3 terms in the house.  I'm wrong to call him out as lacking experience.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Big difference in the level of experience between someone who cut their teeth as a US senator for a term and someone who is an executive for Starbucks, hosting a talk show, starring in movies, holding a professional wrestling title belt, etc...

I was thinking in terms of comparing Obama to Beto.   They’re not that far apart as far as political experience goes going into their first presidential election.

In fact, Beto has more experience in publicly elected positions.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was thinking in terms of comparing Obama to Beto.   They’re not that far apart as far as political experience goes going into their first presidential election.

In fact, Beto has more experience in publicly elected positions.

Yep, mea culpa.

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I do like the imagined details when he was coming up with the story.  "What do black people like again?  Oh yeah!  Basketball!"

I'm surprised he didn't have the Obamas spending all day in the dining room eating fried chicken and watermelon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

I hope, HOPE, no...PRAY to the nonexistent God....that President Beto/Harris/Warren/Biden/whoever immediately goes into the White House, ON CAMERA, and removes all the fucking flat-screen TVs and TiVos that are left behind.  Assuming the grifters haven't ripped them off the wall the night before the inauguration and snuck out the back door of the White House.

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hope, HOPE, no...PRAY to the nonexistent God....that President Beto/Harris/Warren/Biden/whoever immediately goes into the White House, ON CAMERA, and removes all the fucking flat-screen TVs and TiVos that are left behind.  Assuming the grifters haven't ripped them off the wall the night before the inauguration and snuck out the back door of the White House.

When trump is finally removed from office the next president is gonna walk in the White House to find the place has been ransacked like a bank foreclosed on house in the middle of some Florida swamp. Fixtures ripped out and everything. 

When trump is finally removed from office the next president is gonna walk in the White House to find the place has been ransacked like a bank foreclosed on house in the middle of some Florida swamp. Fixtures ripped out and everything. 

All the stuff Rush et al cried about that the Clinton Administration did prior to W coming in - removing keys from keyboards and defacing office furniture - will actually be true.

Especially since he’ll be denied a second term.

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Assuming the grifters haven't ripped them off the wall the night before the inauguration and snuck out the back door of the White House.

I have a sneaking suspicion Trump's WH exit will make LBJ's look meek. He might take the Resolute Desk.

6 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Imo, that's not the problem with what Brokaw said. If he's going to play the "they need to assimilate" card then he damn well better mention that Anglos (mostly Anglos, also blacks) need to do a better job of accepting hispanics into the culture. 

I’m praying that one of my kids grows up and marries into a Hispanic family that is not completely assimilated and takes me in when I’m elderly.  I don’t want to die in a retirement home.  One of the absolute worst things about “American culture”.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m praying that one of my kids grows up and marries into a Hispanic family that is not completely assimilated and takes me in when I’m elderly.  I don’t want to die in a retirement home.  One of the absolute worst things about “American culture”.

As somebody that grew up going to border towns and who visits Mexico often, I would say that Americans need to try to assimilate to Mexican culture. The world would be a better place if there was more mariachi music. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dad? 

I don't know why every white male doesn't marry into a Mexican family. They cook the best damn food in the world and as a man I can do no wrong. I get to be served and live like a king for 2-3 hours a week. Of course my gf is Chicana as shit so I have to deal with her ass the other 6 days and 22 hours a week, but those glorious 2 hours...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just what in the world does assimilation mean? 

In some ways (like you allude to) I hope they DON'T assimilate into Anglo culture.

6 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I hate to ask this but does anybody on this sight really think it is a good idea to teach the Bible in public schools?

This conversation came up with a cousin a while back:

Cousin: Everything went to hell when we took God out of public schools. 

Me: So you want Obama’s government teaching kids how to practice religion and what to believe?

Couisin: No, that’s not what I mean, we can leave it up to the states to decide. 

Me: You still want the government teaching religion?

Couisin: Well, we used to not have school shootings and drug overdoses and gangs when we had God in the classroom (Note:  I don’t know if he means student-led prayer or what in public schools). 

Me: Well, we’re  in Texas, so I guess the government can teach the Catholic-view of religion, since they are the largest religious group. 

Couisin:  NOW WAIT A MINUTE THATS NOT WHAT I FUCKING SAID I DONT MEAN THAT AT ALL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This conversation came up with a cousin a while back:

Cousin: Everything went to hell when we took God out of public schools. 

Me: So you want Obama’s government teaching kids how to practice religion and what to believe?

Couisin: No, that’s not what I mean, we can leave it up to the states to decide. 

Me: You still want the government teaching religion?

Couisin: Well, we used to not have school shootings and drug overdoses and gangs when we had God in the classroom (Note:  I don’t know if he means student-led prayer or what in public schools). 

Me: Well, we’re  in Texas, so I guess the government can teach the Catholic-view of religion, since they are the largest religious group. 

Couisin:  NOW WAIT A MINUTE THATS NOT WHAT I FUCKING SAID I DONT MEAN THAT AT ALL

I'm sure you have a great family and all, but your cousin sounds like a real piece of work.

Yeah, let's have the state teach "Intelligent Design". 

We are truly heading toward idiocracy.

Edit to add:

And, like you mention, whose religion will be taught? Hell, forget Judaism or Islam, just stick to Christianity.

Baptists? No way I want those bozos responsible for teaching religion. How long ago was it that they viewed dancing as a ticket to hell? Fuck those guys.

Catholics? Yeah, good luck convincing the Protestants.

Lutherans? Which ones? WELS? Those guys are fundamentalist batshit cray cray. LC-MS? Not much better than WELS. (take a look at their site on creationism. ignorance wrapped in religion never looked so bad). ELCS? I'm sure the good redneck Texans are all on board with homo ministers.

Episcopalian? That's a good fit, but probably too snooty for most.

Methodists? Like the good Rev. Maclean said, "Methodists are just Baptists who can read."

Edited by Asithappens

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s for another thread, but when we define assimilate, we need to define the American culture as well.

Diabetes, guns and debt?  You've really made it once you have a 30 year note on your new jet ski. 

Edited by Lagunamadre
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I'm sure you have a great family and all, but your cousin sounds like a real piece of work.

I have a cousin who posted a holocaust day remembrance with a pic of concentration camp prisoners lined up.  In the comments he talked about how we can never let this happen again, and we need to be careful of people like Antifa who say they can beat up Nazis, because it's not fair to call anyone group out.  

So...yeah.  They're out there.  

5 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Some would like to destroy that atheistic public education system, and force kids into private for-profit schools, including religious ones.   Some of those people wind up as Secretary of Education.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1