Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

You two yahoos are almost making me want to do triathlons again.  Almost.

If you don’t feel like training you can send me $500 and I will kick you in the balls and give you a t shirt. Basically it’s the same thing. 

Edited by Clintonaldo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You two yahoos are almost making me want to do triathlons again.  Almost.

It's fun to push myself to new limits and do things that I never thought I could do.  Six years ago, I was 315 pounds, depressed and had kinda lost my own sense of self.  Now I'm 180 lbs, lean, have run marathons, and love to see how far I can push myself.  Looking back, I'm extremely proud of the progress that I've made.  Am I fast?  By all means, no.  Am I doing something that I never dreamed I could do?  By all means, yes.  It's a journey for me, not a sprint.  If I put in the work, I will be successful.  No one else can do it for me, which is why I love running and triathlon as a sport.

@Clintonaldo is probably at the point where he can judge his past performances to his current training and say "I've been in this situation before, this is how I overcame it last time" but this is all new territory for me.  How will I react when shit hits the fan?  Time will tell!

• Hook 'Em 3

It's fun to push myself to new limits and do things that I never thought I could do.  Six years ago, I was 315 pounds, depressed and had kinda lost my own sense of self.  Now I'm 180 lbs, lean, have run marathons, and love to see how far I can push myself.  Looking back, I'm extremely proud of the progress that I've made.  Am I fast?  By all means, no.  Am I doing something that I never dreamed I could do?  By all means, yes.  It's a journey for me, not a sprint.  If I put in the work, I will be successful.  No one else can do it for me, which is why I love running and triathlon as a sport.
[mention=1080]Clintonaldo[/mention] is probably at the point where he can judge his past performances to his current training and say "I've been in this situation before, this is how I overcame it last time" but this is all new territory for me.  How will I react when shit hits the fan?  Time will tell!

We are kind of in the same boat. I was a college soccer player who didn’t know what to do after school and took up binge drinking for 14 years and got up to 235. I am now 43 and 178 and the best shape of my life. I do this shit to keep me on a good path and to be a good example to my 3 year old son. Plus, your greatest lessons come from failures in races. I could tell this last race because I hit every time I wanted within 1 minute on each discipline and that just comes from experience.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

We are kind of in the same boat. I was a college soccer player who didn’t know what to do after school and took up binge drinking for 14 years and got up to 235. I am now 43 and 178 and the best shape of my life. I do this shit to keep me on a good path and to be a good example to my 3 year old son. Plus, your greatest lessons come from failures in races. I could tell this last race because I hit every time I wanted within 1 minute on each discipline and that just comes from experience.

100%.  Setting a good example for my 8 year old is my why.  Get outside, move your body, do hard shit, and learn that you will fail at some point.  It's overcoming that failure that you can translate not to exercise, but to everything in your life if you have the willpower to keep pushing and keep going.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m doing an Olympic distance triathlon Sunday called the Chattanooga Waterfront and I am doing it with Addie Ray Racing. I’ve never swam pulling someone in a raft so a little nervous but excited about pulling someone on bike and pushing on run. It will be a good training day too. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I’m doing an Olympic distance triathlon Sunday called the Chattanooga Waterfront and I am doing it with Addie Ray Racing. I’ve never swam pulling someone in a raft so a little nervous but excited about pulling someone on bike and pushing on run. It will be a good training day too. 

Interesting.  Good luck!

I bit the bullet and bought a tri bike.  I don't see me not continuing this for the foreseeable future and it's better to invest in it now.  My wife surprised me for Father's Day.  It was pretty cool.  I'm heading to get fitted this Saturday.

Interesting.  Good luck!
I bit the bullet and bought a tri bike.  I don't see me not continuing this for the foreseeable future and it's better to invest in it now.  My wife surprised me for Father's Day.  It was pretty cool.  I'm heading to get fitted this Saturday.

You will love it. What did you get ?

5 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Quintana Roo X-PR.  Base model with some slight upgrades (wheels, power meter on left crank).  I'm really looking forward to it.  I rode the road bike this morning on my indoor trainer and it felt like I was cheating on my wife lol

Quintana Roo X-PR.  Base model with some slight upgrades (wheels, power meter on left crank).  I'm really looking forward to it.  I rode the road bike this morning on my indoor trainer and it felt like I was cheating on my wife lol

I did the xpr with ultegra and updated the bars and zipp 808 for wheel set. I can easily ride 25 mph in aero. You will love the bike.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

I did the xpr with ultegra and updated the bars and zipp 808 for wheel set. I can easily ride 25 mph in aero. You will love the bike.

Question for you.  Depending on road conditions, what's the best all around tire that you typically go with?  I've seen the Continental Grand Prix 4-Season recommended a lot.  Do you have a good tire recommendation?

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Question for you.  Depending on road conditions, what's the best all around tire that you typically go with?  I've seen the Continental Grand Prix 4-Season recommended a lot.  Do you have a good tire recommendation?

The one that is on it is good for me imo. What rims did you go with? What indoor trainer do you have? I am debating on getting one.

53 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

The one that is on it is good for me imo. What rims did you go with? What indoor trainer do you have? I am debating on getting one.

Just the standard rim set.  I'm going to upgrade wheels after market.  I have a Wahoo Kickr Core v5 that I got off FB marketplace that was barely used.  Pairs nicely with a Zwift subscription.

35 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Just the standard rim set.  I'm going to upgrade wheels after market.  I have a Wahoo Kickr Core v5 that I got off FB marketplace that was barely used.  Pairs nicely with a Zwift subscription.

Biggest bang for your buck will be wheels

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:37 AM, Clintonaldo said:

We are kind of in the same boat. I was a college soccer player  drinker who didn’t know what to do after school and took up binge drinking for 14 about 20 years and got up to 235 232. I am now 43 47 and 178 170 and the best shape of my life. I do this shit to keep me on a good path and to be a good example to my 3 year old son 12 and 16 year old sons. 

My man -

I may have way overdone it on running and had OATS surgery 6 weeks ago.  I have been told by three doctors that I need to mix in something else with running so I'm eyeing a 70.3 next April.  I can already tell my wife is going to be really pissed if I fuck up my knee again and have to have surgery.

13 minutes ago, Basil said:

My man -

I may have way overdone it on running and had OATS surgery 6 weeks ago.  I have been told by three doctors that I need to mix in something else with running so I'm eyeing a 70.3 next April.  I can already tell my wife is going to be really pissed if I fuck up my knee again and have to have surgery.

You will love triathlons

On 6/19/2024 at 9:59 AM, Clintonaldo said:

On 6/19/2024 at 10:07 AM, pearlandhorn said:

On 6/19/2024 at 10:10 AM, Clintonaldo said:

New Bike Day came this past Saturday.

IMG_1636.jpeg

I lied. It was 80 degrees with 87% humidity at 5:30 am and the 8 beers from yesterday left its mark. I ran 14 at a 7:58 average. Overall, pretty happy with it considering it was day 5 of hard workouts. I drank 26 oz of water on the run and still lost 6 pounds. 

On 6/30/2024 at 7:47 AM, Clintonaldo said:

I lied. It was 80 degrees with 87% humidity at 5:30 am and the 8 beers from yesterday left its mark. I ran 14 at a 7:58 average. Overall, pretty happy with it considering it was day 5 of hard workouts. I drank 26 oz of water on the run and still lost 6 pounds. 

Jesus. 

I did my first 50 mile bike this last Saturday with a 10 mile run on Sunday.  It's damn near impossible to survive in Texas going more than 10 miles (running) during the summer.  I've definitely had to slow my running pace down just to keep my heart rate in zone 2, low zone 3.  I think I'm running around an 8:30/8:40 pace which makes total sense for me.  I'm assuming you aren't in Texas?  If you are, I don't know how you do it.

I think I'm 14 weeks or so from the 70.3 in Waco.  I'm heading out in 2 weeks for Hawaii where I'll be without my bike but will definitely enjoy some open water swimming and running on Maui.

Jesus. 
I did my first 50 mile bike this last Saturday with a 10 mile run on Sunday.  It's damn near impossible to survive in Texas going more than 10 miles (running) during the summer.  I've definitely had to slow my running pace down just to keep my heart rate in zone 2, low zone 3.  I think I'm running around an 8:30/8:40 pace which makes total sense for me.  I'm assuming you aren't in Texas?  If you are, I don't know how you do it.
I think I'm 14 weeks or so from the 70.3 in Waco.  I'm heading out in 2 weeks for Hawaii where I'll be without my bike but will definitely enjoy some open water swimming and running on Maui.

I live in Chattanooga. I will be doing the full in Chattanooga the week before your Waco race. Good luck !

10 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I live in Chattanooga. I will be doing the full in Chattanooga the week before your Waco race. Good luck !

Same to you!  Are you shooting for a specific time?  I'm assuming this isn't your first rodeo with a full 144.6.

22 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Same to you!  Are you shooting for a specific time?  I'm assuming this isn't your first rodeo with a full 144.6.

First full. I guess around 11 hours.  I’m doing another 70.3 in mid August and should finish at 5:15. It’s not Ironman branding so it’s much cheaper 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a great swim session yesterday. Did 2k meters, ending on a long 400m distance without stopping. Swimming has always been my Achilles heel as I’m too stubborn to actually hire a coach to teach me how to swim (I’ll buy a $4k bike but f paying for a coach lol). Taking today off as I’m traveling with family but I’ll get in a long run tomorrow before heading back to the hurricane in Houston.

I had a great swim session yesterday. Did 2k meters, ending on a long 400m distance without stopping. Swimming has always been my Achilles heel as I’m too stubborn to actually hire a coach to teach me how to swim (I’ll buy a $4k bike but f paying for a coach lol). Taking today off as I’m traveling with family but I’ll get in a long run tomorrow before heading back to the hurricane in Houston.

Went for a slow run today and I am tired of the humidity. Thank God there was new construction in a neighborhood as my stomach let loose.

e93f8033649d0b5e6137873a88fdb69d.jpeg
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I had a great swim session yesterday. Did 2k meters, ending on a long 400m distance without stopping. Swimming has always been my Achilles heel as I’m too stubborn to actually hire a coach to teach me how to swim (I’ll buy a $4k bike but f paying for a coach lol).

Take a look at Total Immersion.  Learn how to be as efficient as possible in the water, first.   

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Take a look at Total Immersion.  Learn how to be as efficient as possible in the water, first.   

I’ve actually looked at total immersion and effortless swimming. They’re great. 👍 

Rode 2 hours on the peloton for 40 miles and it was so fucking boring. I kept telling myself the last 30 minutes that I could quit and it would be fine. Just go another 10 and stop. Thankfully it’s not in me to quit. 

if these updates are irritating I will stop. This is kind of a journal at this point. 

my buddy who has done Kona gave me a book called Becoming an Ironman. It’s probably 20 years old at this point or close to it but it’s stories of people who completed an Ironman and what their day was like. I can’t put the book down as I love shit like that. 

2 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Rode 2 hours on the peloton for 40 miles and it was so fucking boring. I kept telling myself the last 30 minutes that I could quit and it would be fine. Just go another 10 and stop. Thankfully it’s not in me to quit. 

if these updates are irritating I will stop. This is kind of a journal at this point. 

my buddy who has done Kona gave me a book called Becoming an Ironman. It’s probably 20 years old at this point or close to it but it’s stories of people who completed an Ironman and what their day was like. I can’t put the book down as I love shit like that. 

12 mile run this morning. Longish ride in the morning before work. Thankful for the indoor trainer. I’ll be riding during a hurricane 😂 

IMG_1678.png

• Hook 'Em 1

What a goat show @Clintonaldo

Came back to Houston on Sunday. Woke up Monday morning and hopped on the trainer at 6. Power went out about 6 times, briefly, until 8 am. Ended up getting 30 miles in before power went out for good. Ended up driving back up to my folks/in laws house Tuesday morning. Got a 10 mile run in this morning and heading to the pool in the morning. Hopefully power is back tonight or tomorrow and we can head home tomorrow.

It was a great run. Low 70s when I started and lower humidity. A rarity in Texas during the summer. 

IMG_1686.png

What a goat show [mention=1080]Clintonaldo[/mention]
Came back to Houston on Sunday. Woke up Monday morning and hopped on the trainer at 6. Power went out about 6 times, briefly, until 8 am. Ended up getting 30 miles in before power went out for good. Ended up driving back up to my folks/in laws house Tuesday morning. Got a 10 mile run in this morning and heading to the pool in the morning. Hopefully power is back tonight or tomorrow and we can head home tomorrow.
It was a great run. Low 70s when I started and lower humidity. A rarity in Texas during the summer. 
IMG_1686.thumb.png.7c2cbd17ff70ecbf91928a33ffd47eda.png

I knew you were working out so I had to go a little longer. First 7 miles were slow and then I was running 7:50 the last 8

c38f8d5579735581ecf171ac42399d4a.jpeg
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

No, but I’ve swam the enchanted waters of Honolua Bay:

IMG_1716.png

Also ran a half marathon yesterday morning up the coast of Maui. Pretty zonked this morning. Time ended up being 1:51 or so. It was warm yesterday and I got sunburned swimming. We’re leaving Sunday and I miss my bike. 

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Also ran a half marathon yesterday morning up the coast of Maui. Pretty zonked this morning. Time ended up being 1:51 or so. It was warm yesterday and I got sunburned swimming. We’re leaving Sunday and I miss my bike. 

You are making the most of your trip. Punish the bike when you get back. 

I have a little something to add for you tomorrow 

• Hook 'Em 1

So, I ran 12 miles 2 days in a row. I don't know if that is smart or not but figured it will help me getting used to running on tired legs. I only spent about 2.5 hours total on bike last week so I will make a big adjustment this week as we are 8 weeks and 6 days away. I did run 55 miles last week. Today I am swimming for an hour.

On 7/20/2024 at 2:12 PM, closetohumping said:

Yall are crazy

You aren't the first person to tell me this and you won't be the last.

On 7/22/2024 at 7:07 AM, Clintonaldo said:

So, I ran 12 miles 2 days in a row. I don't know if that is smart or not but figured it will help me getting used to running on tired legs. I only spent about 2.5 hours total on bike last week so I will make a big adjustment this week as we are 8 weeks and 6 days away. I did run 55 miles last week. Today I am swimming for an hour.

Got in a 26 mile bike ride before work yesterday morning (very little sleep - trying to get back on central time from hawaiian time) and got a 9 mile run in this morning before work.  I've been neglecting the gym and need to make it back in for some strength training so I'll hit that tomorrow along with a swim.  Now that I'm about 10 weeks away from Waco, weekends will be exclusively long ride and long run days.  I'm going to build back up to 65 miles on the bike.  This weekend will be a 45 mile ride Saturday followed by an 11 mile run on Sunday.  I may do a few miles run Saturday at the end of my bike session just for some practice.  As I ramp up for Waco and get more mileage in on the bike on my long rides, I'll extend the runs on Saturdays (before football season of course) and be back by 11 central in front of the TV.

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

You aren't the first person to tell me this and you won't be the last.

Got in a 26 mile bike ride before work yesterday morning (very little sleep - trying to get back on central time from hawaiian time) and got a 9 mile run in this morning before work.  I've been neglecting the gym and need to make it back in for some strength training so I'll hit that tomorrow along with a swim.  Now that I'm about 10 weeks away from Waco, weekends will be exclusively long ride and long run days.  I'm going to build back up to 65 miles on the bike.  This weekend will be a 45 mile ride Saturday followed by an 11 mile run on Sunday.  I may do a few miles run Saturday at the end of my bike session just for some practice.  As I ramp up for Waco and get more mileage in on the bike on my long rides, I'll extend the runs on Saturdays (before football season of course) and be back by 11 central in front of the TV.

I will be 9 weeks out on Sunday and I feel so far behind all because my long ride was canceled last week. I rode 2 hours on spin bike at 5 am this morning and will do it again Thursday. Saturday I am riding 75 and running 6. 

My wife told me last night she wants to go to the beach and take our 3 year old for his first trip and I successfully navigated a Sunday- Thursday so I can get my long brick in this weekend. I will spend a lot of time running in Florida and may go to the Y one morning for a spin class. 

2 guys I run with who have both done Kona keep telling me to ride ride ride and it’s starting to fuck with me and they know it but I know they are telling the truth. I think I can crack a 10:40 after looking at things.