Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

I've had a rough past couple weeks.  After my last long bike ride 3 weeks ago, I had an issue with a recurring roid.  Had to stop biking.  Last week, had it removed and haven't been able to ride for the past 3 weeks.  I'm on the mend now and should be good to go for race day.  Hopefully I'm recovered enough over the next couple weeks to get a couple more training rides in before race day.  I can still run and swim (taken the last 6 days off - follow up appointment tomorrow with doc a week after removal).  It's been a literal pain in the ass.

52 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I've had a rough past couple weeks.  After my last long bike ride 3 weeks ago, I had an issue with a recurring roid.  Had to stop biking.  Last week, had it removed and haven't been able to ride for the past 3 weeks.  I'm on the mend now and should be good to go for race day.  Hopefully I'm recovered enough over the next couple weeks to get a couple more training rides in before race day.  I can still run and swim (taken the last 6 days off - follow up appointment tomorrow with doc a week after removal).  It's been a literal pain in the ass.

Sometimes rest is good. Get better 

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to doc for follow up on Wednesday and got the clear to run and bike. Went to the gym yesterday to lift and went on a 9 mile run this morning. Felt amazing. It was 63 with low humidity. I don’t have my bike with me as I’m visiting my parents this weekend. I’ll venture onto the bike Monday or Tuesday and ease back into it. I’ll probably do a 40 mile ride next weekend then start the 2 week taper. Race day is 3 weeks from Sunday.

@Clintonaldo, Chattanooga is next weekend, right?

6 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Went to doc for follow up on Wednesday and got the clear to run and bike. Went to the gym yesterday to lift and went on a 9 mile run this morning. Felt amazing. It was 63 with low humidity. I don’t have my bike with me as I’m visiting my parents this weekend. I’ll venture onto the bike Monday or Tuesday and ease back into it. I’ll probably do a 40 mile ride next weekend then start the 2 week taper. Race day is 3 weeks from Sunday.

@Clintonaldo, Chattanooga is next weekend, right?

2 weekends away. I ran 20 on Wednesday and have swam a bunch this week plus 2 spin classes. I am up to 30 miles of running so far. 

I wanted to do one last big brick tomorrow but it might be raining. If I can ride I will ride 60 and run 10. If it rains I will run 20 again. Water temp here is 77 so it will be wetsuit legal as they always find somewhere to measure to get it to 76 and we have some chilly mornings coming up. 

I’m just ready to get it over with. It’s been fun but I am anxious. It’s going to be hard to taper for 2 weeks so I might just do a week taper. 

You really didn’t lose anything much with your injury. My best advice is to bike bike and more bike. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Water temp in Waco is 84 so quite a ways to go before its wetsuit legal there. It’s going to be hot next week with no rain on the horizon so river isn’t going to cool off much. I’m cool with that as I don’t really care for swimming in a wetsuit.

My parents next-door neighbor just did IM Wisconsin last weekend and finished 9th overall. He said it was an insane bike course up in Wisconsin with over 6000 ft of climbing. He did Chattanooga last year and finished 3rd overall. I talked to him for a bit this evening and he has some friends going up to TN and racing. It was nice chatting with him. Thought that was pretty cool. Small world.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Water temp in Waco is 84 so quite a ways to go before its wetsuit legal there. It’s going to be hot next week with no rain on the horizon so river isn’t going to cool off much. I’m cool with that as I don’t really care for swimming in a wetsuit.

My parents next-door neighbor just did IM Wisconsin last weekend and finished 9th overall. He said it was an insane bike course up in Wisconsin with over 6000 ft of climbing. He did Chattanooga last year and finished 3rd overall. I talked to him for a bit this evening and he has some friends going up to TN and racing. It was nice chatting with him. Thought that was pretty cool. Small world.

Guy sounds like an animal. What is his name ?

On 9/13/2024 at 7:23 PM, Clintonaldo said:

You really didn’t lose anything much with your injury. My best advice is to bike bike and more bike. 

Got back on the saddle Monday after work for a short 45-minute ride.  Did an hour this morning.  Soreness in the legs feels good.  "Surgery" if you want to call it that has done it's job.  Knock on wood but I think I'm healed.  Taking the QR out this weekend for a good ride on the road and keeping it off the trainer until after race day.  I'm getting nervous.  I know I'll do fine.  I think it's more mental right now than physical.  Doc said I can get back in the pool today so I'm heading to the pool in the morning before work to get a long swim in and knock the rust off.  I'll be in the pool 3x per week until race day.  It's nice to be full go again.  Just gotta get through another week of hard training then taper it out.  Already done my long runs and long bricks.  I may do one more shorter brick (25 mile ride + 6 mile run or something) before race day just to calm the nerves.

31 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Got back on the saddle Monday after work for a short 45-minute ride.  Did an hour this morning.  Soreness in the legs feels good.  "Surgery" if you want to call it that has done it's job.  Knock on wood but I think I'm healed.  Taking the QR out this weekend for a good ride on the road and keeping it off the trainer until after race day.  I'm getting nervous.  I know I'll do fine.  I think it's more mental right now than physical.  Doc said I can get back in the pool today so I'm heading to the pool in the morning before work to get a long swim in and knock the rust off.  I'll be in the pool 3x per week until race day.  It's nice to be full go again.  Just gotta get through another week of hard training then taper it out.  Already done my long runs and long bricks.  I may do one more shorter brick (25 mile ride + 6 mile run or something) before race day just to calm the nerves.

For a 70.3 I would only do a week taper. Make sure you get your bike serviced and sealant in tires refilled.