Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

We're picking up the RV on Thursday and spending the majority of the evening packing.  I'm leaving work at noon on Friday and picking up the kid on the way home.  Hopefully we'll be out of town by 2 and in Waco by 6 at a campground on Lake Waco about 15 minutes from the start line.  Hang out that evening and head to registration Saturday morning.  There's a group meeting at 7 AM Saturday morning for an early swim in the Brazos that I might join.  I'm making a list of all the stuff I need to bring with me. I'm also taking the day off work on Monday so we can leisurely leave and head back to Houston.  It'll be a nice getaway for the wife and kid as well.

Edited by pearlandhorn

3 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

We're picking up the RV on Thursday and spending the majority of the evening packing.  I'm leaving work at noon on Friday and picking up the kid on the way home.  Hopefully we'll be out of town by 2 and in Waco by 6 at a campground on Lake Waco about 15 minutes from the start line.  Hang out that evening and head to registration Saturday morning.  There's a group meeting at 7 AM Saturday morning for an early swim in the Brazos that I might join.  I'm making a list of all the stuff I need to bring with me. I'm also taking the day off work on Monday so we can leisurely leave and head back to Houston.  It'll be a nice getaway for the wife and kid as well.

I was going to say make a list and check it off as it is packed into RV. I would bring extra gels and shit because things will get lost.

• Hook 'Em 1

Made it to Waco last night in time for registration Friday. Going for a swim in the brazos this morning with a group and dropping off the bike around 2. Water temp yesterday was 81 and they are advising no wetsuits when though it’s optional. 

My son made some friends with some kids in the RV park who are in from Colorado. The dad is racing his 10th 70.3. Chatted with him for a good 20 minutes yesterday evening. 

15 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bike dropped off. It’s going to be a hot run! Hopefully we get some cloud cover and a breeze tomorrow.

Just coming to post that you are in the “ why am I doing this phase”. Drink electrolytes and stay off of your feet after you drop $200 in the tent on clothing. Eat your last meal around 5 and toss and turn all night in bed. Wake up early to force a shit out. #sub6wecoming

• Haha 1

Thankfully, I’m pretty regular at 5 am. I’ve got my feet propped up in the RV watching football with the dog while the kid and wife are out shopping.

Thankfully I deflated my tires before I dropped my bike off. Tires are popping in the sun.

Call it bad juju but I don’t buy anything before I finish a race. I’ll buy some stuff tomorrow wearing my medal.

image.jpg

3 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

As I am on my 8th beer and down $300 for the day in gambling I am jealous you are racing tomorrow.

I just realized that I signed up for this race 10 months ago. It’s absolutely insane that it’s finally here. I’m super thankful I was able to make it through two marathons and an Olympic triathlon in that time, without getting injured. Super thankful for the kind words as well.

Snagged a pic of the finish line as well. Cant wait.

IMG_1865.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

I just realized that I signed up for this race 10 months ago. It’s absolutely insane that it’s finally here. I’m super thankful I was able to make it through two marathons and an Olympic triathlon in that time, without getting injured. Super thankful for the kind words as well.
Snagged a pic of the finish line as well. Cant wait.
IMG_1865.thumb.jpeg.ef5a773a8118873decd297a503d50d56.jpeg
IMG_1863.thumb.jpeg.9bdad18d1b61e5e638aa2e99d6d738c4.jpeg

Forgot to mention bring your own pump tomorrow to air up tires. Put one of your stickers on it so it doesn’t get lost. Don’t get suckered into people blowing by you on the bike. You will pass them back on the run if you stick to your plan. Drink more than you think you should on bike.

10 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Forgot to mention bring your own pump tomorrow to air up tires. Put one of your stickers on it so it doesn’t get lost. Don’t get suckered into people blowing by you on the bike. You will pass them back on the run if you stick to your plan. Drink more than you think you should on bike.

Yeah, I sure will. I’ll grab fluids at every aid station and top up. 1000mg of salt every hour. Electrolytes are most important.

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

2 bottles on your bike is enough fluids so don’t stop. You’ve done the work. Trust the plan.

I’ve also got the reservoir up front. Plan is to premix tomorrow morning and dump electrolyte mix in aero reservoir, one more bottle of electrolyte mix, and bottle of water behind me. I’ll have plenty but if one goes flying like a bottle rocket on a bump, I’ll grab one.

I’ve also got the reservoir up front. Plan is to premix tomorrow morning and dump electrolyte mix in aero reservoir, one more bottle of electrolyte mix, and bottle of water behind me. I’ll have plenty but if one goes flying like a bottle rocket on a bump, I’ll grab one.

I thought you had the same setup as me. When you get home take it off your bike and rinse it out. That hydration system is a game changer as you can stay in aero. Make sure and call out your intentions on bike tomorrow. There will be a lot of people on the course and common sense goes out the window.

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I thought you had the same setup as me. When you get home take it off your bike and rinse it out. That hydration system is a game changer as you can stay in aero. Make sure and call out your intentions on bike tomorrow. There will be a lot of people on the course and common sense goes out the window.

I also got the dual bottle cages behind me. My bike came with the aero reservoir only. I wanted more fluids so added the dual bottle cages in the back. I clean it every time I use it.

And 100%. They were talking about drafting penalties today. With my slow swim, I imagine I’ll be passing quite a few people on the bike. 

Edited by pearlandhorn

2 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

6 more miles on the run and he is done. Will be a little over 6 hours. He is in the pain cave. 

I sure as shit was 😂.

it was 93 degrees when I finished the bike. Headwinds at mile 30 of the bike as well.

Proud of myself for finishing - over 200 people dropped due to heat. I bonked at my 8 of the run, had to start run walking.

All in all, happy to finish. If it was only about 25 degrees cooler, it would have been fantastic.

3 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I sure as shit was 😂.

it was 93 degrees when I finished the bike. Headwinds at mile 30 of the bike as well.

Proud of myself for finishing - over 200 people dropped due to heat. I bonked at my 8 of the run, had to start run walking.

All in all, happy to finish. If it was only about 25 degrees cooler, it would have been fantastic.

You’ve learned a lot for next time too. It’s hard to describe that level of fatigue. You just have to go through it to appreciate it. My first 70.3 was 6:30 and my third was 5:29:55. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

You’ve learned a lot for next time too. It’s hard to describe that level of fatigue. You just have to go through it to appreciate it. My first 70.3 was 6:30 and my third was 5:29:55. 

I compare it to my first marathon. I was completely thrown at mile 20. It was pain I had never experienced before in my life. 

I thought I had enough salt (3000 mg on the bike) but it wasn’t enough. I was cramping when I pulled in. Left quad and right calf were toast.

I learned a lot, enjoyed every second of it. Bunch of support on the run and the volunteers were great. I’m ready to sign up for Galveston 70.3 to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

How are we feeling today ?

Feeling great! Only really soreness I have is my calves.  I went down and talked to the guy I met at the campground last night and he was in rough shape.  He's not used to the heat being from Colorado.  He said the race kicked his ass and he struggled in the run as well.  Most people I've seen were saying the same.  The heat just got the best of a ton of people.

We made it back to Houston today.  There's a ton of racers that are complaining about being pulled after they finished the swim.  The race director advised them that all wet suit folks would be going after the non-wet suit folks and that the T1 cutoff was 9:50 am.  The more non-wet suit folks there are...the longer it takes all of them to get in the water.  Race started at 7:30 and they were letting people in 3 at a time.  I don't think I got into the water until 8 or so.  I don't believe the first wet suit wearer made it into the water until 8:50.  Dozens of people got pulled right when they got out of the water because they wouldn't make it out of T1 until after 9:50.  Hell, some of them didn't even finish the swim until after 9:50.  I mean, they were told multiple times to not wear a wet suit, but they did anyway.  I kinda feel bad for them, but I kinda don't.  Couple folks saying that they panicked 100m into the swim and had to be pulled. 

Bunch of people were also complaining about the chip seal on the road on the bike.  It was about 20 miles.  My hands went numb and my feet were hurting from all the bumping.  Apparently that was new from the race last year.  Super rough road that I wasn't used to at all being in the Houston area and mainly riding on county/residential roads.

In retrospect, I'd like to do Galveston, mainly because it's so close to home, but I've also heard good things about it.  I'm also looking at Florida and of course, Chattanooga.  My wife likes to go and support and see all the cool bikes.  And my son, wife and I both like taking the RV places. 

8 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

First activity was today after resting the previous 3 days.  Felt nice to get back out and run.  I'm leaning towards not doing the full Houston Marathon this January and just doing the half as I've got my eye set on Galveston 70.3 in early April.

You will do a full in 2 years. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

You will do a full in 2 years. 

I’ve got to get clearance from my wife before I sign up and train for a full. The training is a part time job in itself. With an 8 year old and a full time job, something would have to give.