Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

51 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I will be 9 weeks out on Sunday and I feel so far behind all because my long ride was canceled last week. I rode 2 hours on spin bike at 5 am this morning and will do it again Thursday. Saturday I am riding 75 and running 6. 

My wife told me last night she wants to go to the beach and take our 3 year old for his first trip and I successfully navigated a Sunday- Thursday so I can get my long brick in this weekend. I will spend a lot of time running in Florida and may go to the Y one morning for a spin class. 

2 guys I run with who have both done Kona keep telling me to ride ride ride and it’s starting to fuck with me and they know it but I know they are telling the truth. I think I can crack a 10:40 after looking at things. 

That’ll be a great time, especially your first full distance! 

When I volunteered at IM TX, the folks I was helping off the bike were saying that they were way undertrained on the bike. I was walking with one (I took bikes and racked them for the athletes) and he said he should have done way more training on the bike. He said his longest ride was only 85 miles. I’ve always thought you need to ride greater than your race distance which is why I’m going for 65 or 70 for my longest ride.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

That’ll be a great time, especially your first full distance! 

When I volunteered at IM TX, the folks I was helping off the bike were saying that they were way undertrained on the bike. I was walking with one (I took bikes and racked them for the athletes) and he said he should have done way more training on the bike. He said his longest ride was only 85 miles. I’ve always thought you need to ride greater than your race distance which is why I’m going for 65 or 70 for my longest ride.

2 different people said at mile 85 you are halfway done with the ride and that has stuck with me. I never want to experience what I did in my first 70.3. I had a 2:29:58 half marathon only because I refused to have a 2:30. It still haunts me. I think it’s easy to get suckered in on the bike as ya feel good at 70 and you are more than halfway done by mileage and people probably think on race day adrenaline will carry them. 

I think you are more than ready for your 70.3. I still might do a non Ironman 70.3 in 3 weeks as a training day but I am going back to Florida 5 days after I get back for a guys trip and it will only give me 4 days to dry out from alcohol. 

26 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

2 different people said at mile 85 you are halfway done with the ride and that has stuck with me. I never want to experience what I did in my first 70.3. I had a 2:29:58 half marathon only because I refused to have a 2:30. It still haunts me. I think it’s easy to get suckered in on the bike as ya feel good at 70 and you are more than halfway done by mileage and people probably think on race day adrenaline will carry them. 

I think you are more than ready for your 70.3. I still might do a non Ironman 70.3 in 3 weeks as a training day but I am going back to Florida 5 days after I get back for a guys trip and it will only give me 4 days to dry out from alcohol. 

I still need to get my long rides in for sure, with some brick sessions after. It’s so damn hot here in Houston though.

I also don’t drink (family history blah blah blah) so I can stay focused. When you say you had a bad run on your 70.3 because of your bike, what do you mean?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

What is your plan for swimming in the brazos at the waco 70.3    Just start a dose of antibiotic prophylaxis a few days before the race and hope?

I swam Lady Bird Lake/Colorado River two months ago for the Austin CapTex Tri.  I survived.

Edit: I also take 6,000 IUs of Vitamin D daily...so I have that going for me.

Edited by pearlandhorn

14 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I still need to get my long rides in for sure, with some brick sessions after. It’s so damn hot here in Houston though.

I also don’t drink (family history blah blah blah) so I can stay focused. When you say you had a bad run on your 70.3 because of your bike, what do you mean?

I just didn’t know what to expect and I was on a borrowed bike. I couldn’t really run after and limped home at 6:30 finish. 

54 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I just didn’t know what to expect and I was on a borrowed bike. I couldn’t really run after and limped home at 6:30 finish. 

Kinda like how people say you are halfway through a marathon at mile 20.  Prior to running a marathon, I thought this was total bullshit, then I bonked at mile 22 of my first marathon and it was like a lightbulb going off.

On 7/24/2024 at 1:17 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Kinda like how people say you are halfway through a marathon at mile 20.  Prior to running a marathon, I thought this was total bullshit, then I bonked at mile 22 of my first marathon and it was like a lightbulb going off.

I distinctly remember at telling my self at mile 22 of the Marine Corp Marathon - I'm never doing this shit again.  That was 2001 and my only marathon. 

29 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I distinctly remember at telling my self at mile 22 of the Marine Corp Marathon - I'm never doing this shit again.  That was 2001 and my only marathon. 

I said the same thing in 2023 at Houston.  I then proceeded to sign up again that night for the next year lol

I did a 15 mile trail race last year that was actually 18 ( they switched the course that morning and the race was known for wacky shit like this ) and I was honestly scared at one point. You run down Lookout Mountain in Ga and then come back up and the last 3 miles are the climb up. I ran it with 2 guys I can compete with on the road but it was my first trail race and I realized at mile 4 I couldn’t keep up and told them I would try to catch up. I had gotten the best advice ever and that was on each of the 2 water stops I better fill up and thank God I did. 

Anyways , things were going ok and surprisingly I was running top 12 come to find out until mile14 and then the wheels started coming off and I asked a guy I was running beside if I would know when we started the ascent up or is it gradual and he just laughed. Well, I get there and I said oh fuck. It’s single lane almost straight up and for 2 miles I averaged 23 minutes a mile and I was out of water. I had thoughts of quitting but I had to get to finish line to quit as it was the only way out. It was all I could do. I was literally walking 12 steps and resting and letting anyone who wanted pass me. 

The best part is when I finish my 2 buddies are already changed and having a good time and I asked them if they went to Applebees for brunch while they waited on me. They said they realized at mile 8 the course was going to be long and was worried I would be pissed. I ended up finishing 44 out of 110 people so overall not bad but it’s the most scared I’ve ever been. I told them that was my first and last trail race.  I had to pull over 3 times driving home to stretch. 

They had a 50 mile trail race that same day and one of the guys I paced at the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon was racing it and we talked for a little at mile 5 as it’s the same course for the first 18 miles and he ended up finishing 4th overall. 

I tell that dumb story to say this. I’m doing it again this year for redemption. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/28/2024 at 9:00 AM, Clintonaldo said:

Had a decent weekend training wise but not enough bike time.

13ceb63b8842ac922eaa095c2bd8e165.jpg

Today I ran with a guy who is normally decent but I had to fire him at mile 11. Luckily, at mile 13 I saw a buddy and we ran the rest.

e439aa77a724211ba28408040289b495.jpg

image.gif.9aee6332233a2b96d1859d18cf03a7c5.gif

• Like 1

Bike went REALLY well. Had to stop a few times to get more bottles, pee, etc. I think I need more calories on the bike. 

Run started off great. Problem is the heat. I got back to the house at 10 AM after 5.5 miles and it was so fucking hot. Went inside and filled up my bottle and it said 95 with a heat index of 112. I made it 7 miles. I guess I need to start earlier.

IMG_1744.png

IMG_1745.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Bike went REALLY well. Had to stop a few times to get more bottles, pee, etc. I think I need more calories on the bike. 

Run started off great. Problem is the heat. I got back to the house at 10 AM after 5.5 miles and it was so fucking hot. Went inside and filled up my bottle and it said 95 with a heat index of 112. I made it 7 miles. I guess I need to start earlier.

IMG_1744.png

IMG_1745.png

Looks like you are there. Honestly, I would run the distance in the next few weeks and then start running around the time you think you will be running during the race for heat acclimation. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Fucking hell dude.  Slamming 20 miles on a Wednesday morning.  Were you a zombie the rest of the day? lol

lol kind of. I just got to Florida today for a guys trip and the long run was hanging over my head so I said fuck it. I will still run down here and do 2 hours on bike but that is more manageable hungover. 

Dang I miss training. I’ve only done 1 race in the last 8 months. My back is so super fked I can run like I used ton. Indian wells 70.3 was my last long distance event. Have taken a few first in some sprints. But the numb painful legs aren’t having it 

good luck in your full dude. I’m thankful every day to be able to have completed a full distance at the end of 22 

38 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Dang I miss training. I’ve only done 1 race in the last 8 months. My back is so super fked I can run like I used ton. Indian wells 70.3 was my last long distance event. Have taken a few first in some sprints. But the numb painful legs aren’t having it 

good luck in your full dude. I’m thankful every day to be able to have completed a full distance at the end of 22 

Thanks man. I have to constantly remind myself how lucky I am to feel so miserable sometimes.  Good luck with your recovery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Took it easy this weekend. I can feel the training catching up with me. Listening to my body. I’ll probably go for a short jog tomorrow, take a few more days off then start the final build up again. I’m 8 weeks away so I want to recover and attack one more time before the taper. GG on the century.

16 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

It’s interesting watching my speed turn to dog shit. Last year I could run a 1:28 half and now that I am not just running it gos away. It’s not a bad thing but it is humbling and sometimes hard not to run faster out of ego 

For a training run, that's not a bad time at all.  Especially at that heart rate!  I believe my half PB is somewhere around 1:42 but I consistently do training runs around 1:52 or so.  I'm definitely not setting a PB for a half marathon in Waco lol

• Like 1

It’s supposed to be announced Chattanooga is changing bike course as Georgia and Ironman cannot suddenly agree on cost. New course will be 3 laps and 8,244 of elevation ( which is double normal course ) and no damn shade at all. A hard day just got harder but my last ride had 6,000 of elevation gain and I felt good. Nothing I can do but do it. 

On 8/26/2024 at 6:18 PM, Clintonaldo said:

It’s supposed to be announced Chattanooga is changing bike course as Georgia and Ironman cannot suddenly agree on cost. New course will be 3 laps and 8,244 of elevation ( which is double normal course ) and no damn shade at all. A hard day just got harder but my last ride had 6,000 of elevation gain and I felt good. Nothing I can do but do it. 

Whoa.  Crazy that they can do that with just a few weeks until the race.  That sucks.  Just do it.

12 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Whoa.  Crazy that they can do that with just a few weeks until the race.  That sucks.  Just do it.

Yep. Not concerned. The elevation is actually the same and the road will be better. I drive the route often. The worst thing is 3 loops. 

3 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Yep. Not concerned. The elevation is actually the same and the road will be better. I drive the route often. The worst thing is 3 loops. 

When I did the Olympic in Austin, it got very boring very quick doing 4 loops on the bike.  I'm glad Waco is an out and back one loop and a one loop run.  When is D-Day for you again?

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

When I did the Olympic in Austin, it got very boring very quick doing 4 loops on the bike.  I'm glad Waco is an out and back one loop and a one loop run.  When is D-Day for you again?

Sept 29 which is the 1 year anniversary of my dad dying. I was going to pm you my name closer to race in case you wanted to follow. 

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

Sept 29 which is the 1 year anniversary of my dad dying. I was going to pm you my name closer to race in case you wanted to follow. 

Please do and I'd love to follow you on the course.  I'll send you mine as well.

17 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

@ClintonaldoHow is your swim?  I know you posted some results from a 70.3 a few months back but I'm curious on how often you swim, drills, etc.?

Absolute dog shit swimming. My pool pace is 2:13 but I normally swim much better open water. 

For the half last year I swam 34 minutes and a guy close to me in ability swam it in 33. Last year he swam the full in 45 minutes so I’m praying for a current like that. The last 2 years the full has been fast swim 

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I'm in for the Key West Half in January-I'll be seventy, and that will give me an endurance run in each of my decades (except the 0-10 years).  Depending on the week's debauchery, I'm gunning for 2:45.  Ack.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Started distance running at age 40 in ‘06 and ran my first of 18 marathons in ‘07.

Backed it off for a couple of years and am now 90% back in half marathon shape.

I tell you all this because after 18 years and 1000’s of miles without it ever happening…. I actually shit myself 4 miles into my 10 miler this morning. Broke Rule #2 (Never Trust a Fart). Fortunately I recognized it right away and controlled the damage and was a half mile from a convenience store.

So…if you’re lucky enough to continue running into middle age….its gonna happen!

• Like 1