Tesla

AeroHorn

Are Tesla vehicles still the "best" EVs in 2024? I realize this is the Tesla thread, not the EV thread. I may be in this market relatively soon but haven't done a lot of research yet. My impression was that others have caught up. Ioniq 6 looks really nice to me.

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Are Tesla vehicles still the "best" EVs in 2024? I realize this is the Tesla thread, not the EV thread. I may be in this market relatively soon but haven't done a lot of research yet. My impression was that others have caught up. Ioniq 6 looks really nice to me.

I wouldn't say the best vehicles, but certainly the most mature and easiest to operate. Now that the Supercharger network is opened up to other manufacturers (you can get an adapter from Ford today), that is changing. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any adapters for KIA/Genesis yet. Future vehicles will be using the Tesla charging port (now known as the North American Charging Standard or SAE J3400) and will have access to the network. But we don't know how Musk's recent tantrum firing and then mostly rehiring the supercharger team will affect operations moving forward. Me personally, were I in the market to replace my Model 3, I'd probably first look at options from Ford, Kia/Genesis, and then maybe Rivian. VW and GM are also options, but they have both had significant teething issues. I'd definitely consider another Tesla, but frankly I'm concerned Elon is going to run the business into the ground trying to pivot to AI or whatever bullshit he wants to peddle. I have loved my car though. No regrets about the purchase (in early 2020). 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I wouldn't say the best vehicles, but certainly the most mature and easiest to operate. Now that the Supercharger network is opened up to other manufacturers (you can get an adapter from Ford today), that is changing. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any adapters for KIA/Genesis yet. Future vehicles will be using the Tesla charging port (now known as the North American Charging Standard or SAE J3400) and will have access to the network. But we don't know how Musk's recent tantrum firing and then mostly rehiring the supercharger team will affect operations moving forward. Me personally, were I in the market to replace my Model 3, I'd probably first look at options from Ford, Kia/Genesis, and then maybe Rivian. VW and GM are also options, but they have both had significant teething issues. I'd definitely consider another Tesla, but frankly I'm concerned Elon is going to run the business into the ground trying to pivot to AI or whatever bullshit he wants to peddle. I have loved my car though. No regrets about the purchase (in early 2020). 

Agree with all of this.  As I've said before, I think Ford will end up being the big dog in EVs, but Tesla is still cranking out good cars (aside from that truck abortion).  I like Rivian and have heard good things from their owners, but the supercharger network alone makes Tesla the best choice IF you're planning on doing anything other than daily driving.  That said, I only take my Model 3 outside of town maybe 3-4 times a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree with all of this.  As I've said before, I think Ford will end up being the big dog in EVs, but Tesla is still cranking out good cars (aside from that truck abortion).  I like Rivian and have heard good things from their owners, but the supercharger network alone makes Tesla the best choice IF you're planning on doing anything other than daily driving.  That said, I only take my Model 3 outside of town maybe 3-4 times a year.

Ford and Rivian now have access to the Supercharger network FWIW. Others will also gain access to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Ford and Rivian now have access to the Supercharger network FWIW. Others will also gain access to it. 

Cool, I didn't know it was already accessible by any non-Teslas.  That is a huge game changer for EVs.  The supercharger network is way more important, imo, than actual Tesla cars.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

This is only at the newest superchargers, this isn’t all of them.

Yup, only V3 and later model superchargers are compatible (and not all of those yet). But that is a majority of superchargers are this point. Tesla was slowly replacing V2 charging locations with V3. I have no idea what the plan is at the moment. 

Edited by Dahobbs

25 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

This is only at the newest superchargers, this isn’t all of them.

Not accurate. 

There are some V4 (I think) Superchargers with adapters built in. Those are called "magic docks".

There are also adapters that are already shipping/shipped to Ford and Rivian owners, and third party adapters, that allow Ford and Rivian to use a Supercharger without the magic dock. I know, because I have one, and have used a supercharger that didn't have the magic dock. Meaning, I can charge at ANY supercharger, not just the magic dock superchargers. And it is plug and play, I don't have to do anything (although to get a cheaper rate, I need to have a Tesla charging account and initiate the charging session before I plug in). 

The issue was getting the Ford/Rivian networks to communicate with the Tesla network for billing purposes, which they have done.  That's what the other manufacturers need to work out. 

The reason is that there are Federal dollars earmarked for EV charging, but they have to have both NACS and CCS. And if nothing else, Elon LOVES him some federal subsidy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Expect some conflict. I was at a Supercharger recently and a Rivian had to take up two spots, as they charge from the front. I didn't give a shit and struck up a conversation with the owners.  They also had a Tesla but preferred the Rivian as it was more "luxurious". Looked like it.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out if Dipshit doesn't accelerate the Supercharging station team rehiring.  Especially long haul stations where spots are at a premium.

5 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Especially long haul stations where spots are at a premium.

This is where the biggest expansion needs to happen. I road tripped in my model 3 from Austin to Santa Barbara and back at the end of 2022 and you basically saw all the same people at each supercharger from junction to needles because all the cars have to stop at the same chargers. I only had to wait for a spot once, but as more EVs come online, it’s going to be an issue. 

redundancy is the key.  Gas stations have had 100 years to build out redundancy, so if you need gas, there’s a station pretty much anywhere within a few miles. EV road tripping is tough right now because of what I mentioned above. 

22 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Expect some conflict. I was at a Supercharger recently and a Rivian had to take up two spots, as they charge from the front. I didn't give a shit and struck up a conversation with the owners.  They also had a Tesla but preferred the Rivian as it was more "luxurious". Looked like it.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out if Dipshit doesn't accelerate the Supercharging station team rehiring.  Especially long haul stations where spots are at a premium.

Tesla has actually issued guidance on non-Teslas charging and that's what they reccomend. They are also rolling out chargers with longer charging cords, but honestly the low hanging fruit would be to just re-stripe the parking spots so that the chargers are on the line and not centered in a spot. 

And my wife had a Tesla before her Rivian (we both drive them now) - the Rivian is definitely more luxurious as is, and they just introduced a higher end "Ascent" package for models year 25 that even kicks it up a notch. I don't have any plans to get rid of either of our Rivian any time soon, but assuming they are still around in 5 years, I'll happily buy another one when it's time. And the fact that VW just announced a $5BN investment over the next 5 years (they are going to do a joint venture to build the computer architecture and UI for future EVs together), that is good news for their long-term viability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hornian said:

Tesla has actually issued guidance on non-Teslas charging and that's what they reccomend. They are also rolling out chargers with longer charging cords, but honestly the low hanging fruit would be to just re-stripe the parking spots so that the chargers are on the line and not centered in a spot. 

And my wife had a Tesla before her Rivian (we both drive them now) - the Rivian is definitely more luxurious as is, and they just introduced a higher end "Ascent" package for models year 25 that even kicks it up a notch. I don't have any plans to get rid of either of our Rivian any time soon, but assuming they are still around in 5 years, I'll happily buy another one when it's time. And the fact that VW just announced a $5BN investment over the next 5 years (they are going to do a joint venture to build the computer architecture and UI for future EVs together), that is good news for their long-term viability. 

Does Rivian have any plans to build anything smaller than a full size truck and full size SUV?

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Does Rivian have any plans to build anything smaller than a full size truck and full size SUV?

Yes. The have already announced the R2 and the R3, which are more of a midsize, 5 seater. The R2 is supposed to be available in 2026, the R3 sometime after that. I like the look of the R3X the most. 

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/rivian-announces-mid-sized-platform

Rivian-R1S-R1T-R2-R3-R3X-EV-lineup-2024-3.thumb.png.102206486b4db679cb22bf52ec8c5cb3.png

Rivian-R3X-4-2.thumb.jpg.35ec516e11aa3a2bd74a214eb78d8d90.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, hornian said:

They are also rolling out chargers with longer charging cords

From half ass internet research longe cords supposedly significantly lower charge time.

but honestly the low hanging fruit would be to just re-stripe the parking spots so that the chargers are on the line and not centered in a spot. 

Yes, this is will likely need to happen across the board. Easy fix, even centered if you back up a Tesla far enough it should reach.

Edited by Mach 1

15 hours ago, hornian said:

There are also adapters that are already shipping/shipped to Ford and Rivian owners, and third party adapters, that allow Ford and Rivian to use a Supercharger without the magic dock. I know, because I have one, and have used a supercharger that didn't have the magic dock. Meaning, I can charge at ANY supercharger, not just the magic dock superchargers. 

This isn't accurate. Prior to V3 superchargers, Tesla had a different communication protocol. It works fine for Teslas, but isn't compatible with non Tesla vehicle. Only V3 or newer superchargers will be compatible with other vehicles. So it isn't any supercharger. But it is the majority of them and any new ones built going forward. 

31 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

This isn't accurate. Prior to V3 superchargers, Tesla had a different communication protocol. It works fine for Teslas, but isn't compatible with non Tesla vehicle. Only V3 or newer superchargers will be compatible with other vehicles. So it isn't any supercharger. But it is the majority of them and any new ones built going forward. 

Thanks for the correction. I’ll say every supercharger I’m aware of shows up on my available chargers in my Rivian, so I guess most/all of them in central Texas, Houston, and Dallas  are V3 or newer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Figure this might get more visibility here than in Help. 

My Model 3 is in need of a brake job, but my regular mechanic won’t do it because if they lift it incorrectly, they are afraid they will crack the battery casing. Anyone know where I can get this done other than the Tesla service center?  It’s out of warranty now, so I’d rather not do that. 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My Model 3 is in need of a brake job, but my regular mechanic won’t do it because if they lift it incorrectly, they are afraid they will crack the battery casing. Anyone know where I can get this done other than the Tesla service center?  It’s out of warranty now, so I’d rather not do that. 

Where are you? 

Also... is this a track vehicle? I can't understand how a model 3's brakes would get enough use at this point to need a brake job. I guess maybe the earliest model 3s would need one at this point. 

On 6/25/2024 at 8:45 PM, hornian said:

Yes. The have already announced the R2 and the R3, which are more of a midsize, 5 seater. The R2 is supposed to be available in 2026, the R3 sometime after that. I like the look of the R3X the most. 

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/rivian-announces-mid-sized-platform

Rivian-R3X-4-2.thumb.jpg.35ec516e11aa3a2bd74a214eb78d8d90.jpg

1280px-1988_Yugo_GV_in_Blue,_front_left.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Where are you? 

Also... is this a track vehicle? I can't understand how a model 3's brakes would get enough use at this point to need a brake job. I guess maybe the earliest model 3s would need one at this point. 

2018 Model 3, one of the first in Austin, to my knowledge.  But more importantly, it's the wife's car.  That's why.

Edited by Biff Tannen
location central austin
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2024 at 1:07 PM, Biff Tannen said:

We used a mobile mechanic to replace front and back brakes on my 2016 X just last week before we bugged out of Texas for a month (taking two cars). We’ve used them before. They have a shop in RR too but will travel as well. Good work imo. I can pass along their number if you’d like. I’d have to ask the wifey she found them and set it all up.

Edited by troph

9 hours ago, troph said:

We used a mobile mechanic to replace front and back brakes on my 2016 X just last week before we bugged out of Texas for a month (taking two cars). We’ve used them before. They have a shop in RR too but will travel as well. Good work imo. I can pass along their number if you’d like. I’d have to ask the wifey she found them and set it all up.

Yes please.  DM sent.