Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Alabama is going to have some surprising and serious LOS issues in 2024. I'll wait until the portal is closed to really think about it, but as of right now, and from what I saw in their spring game, there's a good shot that they won't look like the same fronts from Bama since 2008.

Watching their spring game highlights, their defensive line and secondary look like shit compared to the last few years. Offensively they look pretty solid, at least against that defense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Alabama is going to have some surprising and serious LOS issues in 2024. I'll wait until the portal is closed to really think about it, but as of right now, and from what I saw in their spring game, there's a good shot that they won't look like the same fronts from Bama since 2008.

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Watching their spring game highlights, their defensive line and secondary look like shit compared to the last few years. Offensively they look pretty solid, at least against that defense.  

itsover.gif

Edited by Brothahorn

Looks like while at UW DeBoer knew about rape allegations against Tybo Rogers (He was allowed to play in both the semi final and national championship game)

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/police-suggest-uw-athletics-staff-knew-about-discussed-tybo-rogers-rape-allegation/

Be interesting as this case continues to see if DeBoer has to testify what he knew/when etc

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Looks like while at UW DeBoer knew about rape allegations against Tybo Rogers (He was allowed to play in both the semi final and national championship game)

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/police-suggest-uw-athletics-staff-knew-about-discussed-tybo-rogers-rape-allegation/

Be interesting as this case continues to see if DeBoer has to testify what he knew/when etc

Well, I guess if Bama feels jicky about his first year, they have leverage for cause lingering around. 

7 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Article reads like DeBoer is the perfect fit for Bama. Roll Tide!

• 3 months later...

Missed when this happened, but DeBoer finally added his "glue guy" Chuck Morrell to the Bama staff as a Special Assistant.    Many years of coaching together on the same staff, and Morrell even stepped aside so DeBoer could be elevated to his first CFB Head Coaching job at Sioux Falls 2005.

How Chuck Morrell can help Alabama football’s coaching staff in 2024

Updated: Jul. 17, 2024, 12:51 p.m.

By   Matt Stahl | mstahl@al.com

One of the less-publicized changes to college football for the 2024 season isn’t as obvious as the wave of conference realignment that shifted the sport, but one that coaches will immediately see an impact from. Analysts are now allowed to participate in on-field coaching, a change that benefits large programs like Alabama’s, which pioneered having an army of analysts under Nick Saban.

On Wednesday, speaking at SEC Media Days in Dallas, Saban’s replacement, Kalen DeBoer was asked about the change, especially with regards to special assistant to the head coach Chuck Morrell.

“Chuck Morrell and I go back,” DeBoer said. “We were actually teammates together and spent 10 years together at the University of Sioux Falls. He was the defensive coordinator, I was the offensive coordinator starting out. Our relationship, when it comes to just how close we are, just the trust we have in each other, he’s a guy that’s just as loyal as it gets.”

Morrell joined DeBoer’s staff at Fresno State in 2020 as safeties coach. He remained in an on-field role throughout the new Crimson Tide head coach’s tenure at Washington, serving as safeties coach and co-defensive coordinator with the Huskies.

Kane Wommack jumped to Alabama as DeBoer’s Tide DC. However, DeBoer said Morrell was playing a role.

“He did a great job for us at Washington the last two years, and coming in, he and Kane Wommack have really worked so well together,” DeBoer said. “I know the role has been as an analyst and a coordinator. We have other members that are on the on-field staff that are critical to our scheme and development and growth of our defensive side of the ball.

“But just another great voice, a guy that knows ball inside and out, and I’ll put him up there as one of the best -- if he was a coordinator, when he was a coordinator last year, the best in the country. To have that luxury now with so many great coaches in our program, it’s an awesome thing.” 

Kalen DeBoer speaks at SEC Media Days

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised Justice Haynes isn't getting a nod. That dude will be a force for them. 

I'm holding out hope that Sark can use his Bama connections and lure Richard Young to add some insurance to our RB room since he's behind Miller and Haynes. Not to mention he's a FL kid. Kid is a nice RB in his own right. 

Posted (edited)

Wanted to motivate Bama by not picking them 

"I picked Georgia and Texas because it’s reverse rat poison for Alabama. It’s a motivating factor for them not to get picked because I hated to be picked first or second because you don’t know how that’s going to impact your team psychologically. These kids are affected a lot by what they read, what they hear, what they see. I didn’t want them to see anything too good.”  

https://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-didnt-pick-alabama-for-sec-championship-as-reverse-rat-poison-benefit-to-alabama 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wanted to motivate Bama by not picking them 

"I picked Georgia and Texas because it’s reverse rat poison for Alabama. It’s a motivating factor for them not to get picked because I hated to be picked first or second because you don’t know how that’s going to impact your team psychologically. These kids are affected a lot by what they read, what they hear, what they see. I didn’t want them to see anything too good.”  

https://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-didnt-pick-alabama-for-sec-championship-as-reverse-rat-poison-benefit-to-alabama 

talking season 3 GIF

Debore will be a problem probably starting in year 2, but this year he's losing 3+ games. I hate to even admit it, but that dude with the elite talent he can now collect will be a pain in the ass. Don't they have something like  five or six 5 star recruits committed already? Christ. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock