Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

There was no way in hell there wasn't going to be a drop off after Saban. DeBoer was a fool to follow directly after Saban. 

I think Saban would have still had a dropoff this year.  Their problems on defense are talent related and that can be laid at his feet.  Alabama isn't 2 deep at every position anymore thanks to the transfer portal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think Saban would have still had a dropoff this year.  Their problems on defense are talent related and that can be laid at his feet.  Alabama isn't 2 deep at every position anymore thanks to the transfer portal.

Saban wouldn't have lost to Vandy. Sorry to break it to you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think DeBoer also knew last year was lighting in a bottle at Washington and things wouldn’t look so great this season, so it was a time to jump even in the face of that.

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

I think he also knew last year was lighting in a bottle at Washington and things wouldn’t look so great this season. 

Yeah, it was the perfect time to leave with losing his qb, 2 best receivers and almost the entire oline.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

No offense but top 5 based on what? His 3 championships in NAIA?

That's a start.  But mainly based on going 6-0 against Lanning, Sark, and Smart.

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

He could be a good coach but no one is going to be like Saban. He might be like a regular good coach. Loses here and there. Not elite.

Saban wasn't going to be like Saban anymore either, which is a big part of why he got out.

DeBoer will need to rebuild the defense as it has slipped farther than I expected.  Sark has shown that an offensive minded HC can do it through incremental personnel and coaching improvements. 

Ultimately Bama's ceiling is lower now that the bag game no longer rules the day.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

There was talk from the Bama camp that Saban would still have an office and ... would be sort of an Elder and help from the top as needed. I haven't really followed, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Ol' Nick's got a busy life with commercials and talking head shots. Is there a hint of don't-give-a-shit from there? Did DeBoer rub Saban the wrong way, or...

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I didn't say he would have, but even he couldn't make the 11 guys they trot out on defense right now play well.

What are the qualifications for being named a team captain these days? Apparently lower than I'd thought. I guess Bama's D giving up nearly 70 points in six quarters "forced" Moore to show his displeasure with an extended tantrum. Dennis Rodman would be proud. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Watching #13 pull that shit at the end, I was thinking if I'm a ref there, I'm hitting that fucker with back-to-back Unsportsmanlike penalties and tossing him. Does that carry the same next-game suspension as targeting? I'm thinking it does, but I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Any road, if DeBoer doesn't do something about that shit, he's fucking up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

No clue what connection there is, if any, between Deboer and their DC, but I just looked at a snapshot of his resume…pretty weak: https://rolltide.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kane-wommack/1578

Unless there’s some deep rooted relationship, he may be one and done, or at least moved to a “co” position with a proven commodity.

He was lifted from a HC gig. I think you non-Bama fans are overreacting a bit. DeBoer is a good coach, albeit one that made a questionable decision replacing a legend in a tough conference with a clear established new big dog (Georgia), a new big dog in Texas, and programs that are relatively down right now in OU, LSU and Florida.  I think most everyone would “fail” in a role of replacing a 6-time NC winner. He’s still a hell of a coach. And his DC was probably a steal. This was one game where Vandy won it; Bama didn’t lost it. If they play 10, Bama wins 9 out of 10. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

What are the qualifications for being named a team captain these days? Apparently lower than I'd thought. I guess Bama's D giving up nearly 70 points in six quarters "forced" Moore to show his displeasure with an extended tantrum. Dennis Rodman would be proud. 

haley joel osmont is right, DeBoer has to address this issue 

• Haha 3

There was no way in hell there wasn't going to be a drop off after Saban. DeBoer was a fool to follow directly after Saban. 

I get the argument that no one follows a legend well. But if you are a college coach don’t you have to take the Alabama job if they call?

I think Deboer is a really, really good coach. It's not often that someone of that caliber is available at just the right time in a coaching search. It seems like only Ohio State gets that consistently lucky when they are replacing their coach.

Of the few losses that he does have on his record though, a disproportionate number of them are of the WTF variety. Those Washington teams were also in one nail biter after another, that they almost always won.

The overall Deboer experience is going to be much different from the Saban experience for Bama fans.

• Like 1

I fucking knew people would ruin this upset with "well ackshually it wasn't Saban so it's not that big a deal"

People have diarrhea of the mouth all the time. I don’t think it ruins anything about this game.

Bama wasn't as dominant the last couple years compared to their peak (although they still could've easily won the whole thing last season). That said, they still have the highest talent composite in the country. And blowing a 28 point lead at home/losing to Vandy in consecutive weeks isn't just something "Saban would never do." It's something any great coach wouldn't do. DeBoer gets somewhat of a pass since it's year 1 and he's still building "his" program. Maybe he just needs some minor tweaks. Maybe he's just a lucky fraud like Lincoln. Either way, I think it's safe to say he won't be a continuation of the Saban era, and every non-Bama CFB fan should be happy about that.

Edited by TXpride

Bama wasn't as dominant the last couple years compared to their peak (although they still could've easily won the whole thing last season). That said, they still have the highest talent composite in the country. And blowing a 28 point lead at home/losing to Vandy in consecutive weeks isn't just something "Saban would never do." It's something any great coach wouldn't do. DeBoer gets somewhat of a pass since it's year 1 and he's still building "his" program. Maybe he just needs some minor tweaks. Maybe he's just a lucky fraud like Lincoln. Either way, I think it's safe to say he won't be a continuation of the Saban era, and every non-Bama CFB fan should be happy about that.

Maybe he’s just bringing his pac12 defense with him to Alabama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think he’s pretty good. I damned sure would take the guy over Lane Kiffin. Kiffin’s ceiling looks pretty much like hovering around 10 wins at a low pressure locale like Oxford and never beating anyone of consequence. Maybe, being in Mississippi, he’s become a big Faulkner guy and this is performance art and he could go somewhere else and actually win something.  I doubt it. Deboer has accomplished more than Kiffin, regardless, and that shit can’t be credibly disputed.

No one wants to declare the death of Alabama as a national power more than me. I’ve done it on multiple occasions, dating laughably back to Shaggy. I hope we’re on to something here. That said, I think Deboer was the best hire they could have made under the circumstances.  His recruiting class doesn’t indicate a falter. Maybe they’ll shit themselves a few more times and it will portend the dawn of a better era for the rest of us CFB fans. 

I'm fairness it's pretty hard to recruit to Ole Miss for whatever reason. The Grove and women are top notch. But their ceiling is 10 wins. If he were in a place like Florida he would do very well with recruiting and could make the playoffs 

But Oxford ain't it. He's a good to decent recruiter. But her not even ode to bring bring top 5. He needs to move on..and probably afrer Riley is fired. 

1 minute ago, jw4381 said:

I think I saw that #13 got some sort of internal slap on the wrist.

I'd have kicked that mother fucker off the team in the locker room after the game. Fuck that shit, man.

DeBoer's reasoning was that Moore really loves Alabama football and worked hard to sell DeBoer to players so they wouldn't leave in January. 

Essentially he delivered the message that if you kiss the coach's ass enough then you can behave however you want.  The fact he isn't even suspended for at least a half, which would be the justified consequence for slamming Pavia's head into the turf if the refs had seen it and called it, is absurd. If I'm Vanderbilt I'm sending the clip of that to the league office and asking how that isn't much worse than regular targeting. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

DeBoer's reasoning was that Moore really loves Alabama football and worked hard to sell DeBoer to players so they wouldn't leave in January. 
Essentially he delivered the message that if you kiss the coach's ass enough then you can behave however you want.  The fact he isn't even suspended for at least a half, which would be the justified consequence for slamming Pavia's head into the turf if the refs had seen it and called it, is absurd. If I'm Vanderbilt I'm sending the clip of that to the league office and asking how that isn't much worse than regular targeting. 

Yeah that was a crock of shit. The Bama athletic department should call his ass on the carpet

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Saban wasn't going to be like Saban anymore either, which is a big part of why he got out.

This.

Saban saw the writing on the wall.  It's fairly easy to make an easy run for a championship every year when your entire team is made up of 5 star players and everyone else's talent level doesn't come anywhere close.  Avoid any real OOC matchups, crush the weak SEC teams that you've gotten your ESPN media buddies to talk up into legitimate/ranked/whatever, and win your 1 or at most 2 tough games a year.  Done.  With the portal and NIL upping the talent level across the board?  Yeah, you're not going to see ultra dominant teams anymore in the college game.  You might get one for a single season, but establishing a dominant program that just repeats over and over?  Especially now that there's an actual playoff?  Good luck.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more of this type of shit.  These players are King Shit of their high schools.  They have major D1 programs fighting over them making them the Belle of the Ball.  Then they become King Shit at college.  Except now they're actually getting paid real money to play.  And there aren't too many (if any) college coaches that are going to risk losing games by enforcing discipline.  If you're making $5+ mill a year to make it to the playoffs and win titles, that's a lot to risk by suspending your best player(s).  Oh, and now there are other teams happy to pay them NIL money as well and take them off your hands if you piss the little princes off.  

32 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

I think I saw that #13 got some sort of internal slap on the wrist.

I'd have kicked that mother fucker off the team in the locker room after the game. Fuck that shit, man.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41667982/alabama-malachi-moore-laments-outburst-end-vandy-game

No suspension.  Not even the first half of their next game.  I'm not even sure that he had some other type of "discipline" imposed against him.  Shocking, IMO.  

Edited by Carl Spackler

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more of this type of shit.  These players are King Shit of their high schools.  They have major D1 programs fighting over them making them the Belle of the Ball.  Then they become King Shit at college.  Except now they're actually getting paid real money to play.  And there aren't too many (if any) college coaches that are going to risk losing games by enforcing discipline.  If you're making $5+ mill a year to make it to the playoffs and win titles, that's a lot to risk by suspending your best player(s).  Oh, and now there are other teams happy to pay them NIL money as well and take them off your hands if you piss the little princes off.  

These guys all want to go to the NFL. Regardless of when he gets drafted, this is going to come up as a character issue. That’s probably a big reason why you don’t see these psychopaths doing this more other.

11 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I thought you could just replace Saban with the DC from South Alabama. Was that not true?

He was the HC at South Alabama, and he's the CO-DC with two other guys including the former HC of Buffalo. Saban was so good, it takes 3 people to replace him including 2 forrmer HCs.

2 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Deboer is a good coach, but he doesn't focus on defense, which is his weakness. He refuses to to even bother with making it better. Bama is in for a rude awakening 

Don't get me wrong. Bama will still be good, until Deboer focuses on defense Bama will not be elite like Sabam

DeBoer is another Lincoln Riley. 

• Like 1