Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I can't remember either. That site was hilarious and I went to it every day until it folded. What a hummer. 

It hasn't folded, exactly.  Pretty sure Scipio found himself moving from hobby sportswriting to making a living at it, and BC wasn't the vehicle to do so.  A couple of the other better writers seemed to have no interest in making a job out of it, while some others did, but weren't nearly as good. So they dispersed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It hasn't folded, exactly.  Pretty sure Scipio found himself moving from hobby sportswriting to making a living at it, and BC wasn't the vehicle to do so.  A couple of the other better writers seemed to have no interest in making a job out of it, while some others did, but weren't nearly as good. So they dispersed.

Ah, I get it. Appreciate the answer. Now that I know why. It's still missed with the old and original writers. They were absolutely hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Ah, I get it. Appreciate the answer. Now that I know why. It's still missed with the old and original writers. They were absolutely hilarious. 

Agreed and the game threads were terrific.

I think sbnation is all "community" sites (especially for fanbases that don't have surly's etc) and not at all set up for subscriptions, billing, etc.  So harder to monetize, if not impossible.  Hence the abandonment.  It's not like sbnation ruined BC or anything.

• Like 1

The Mercer Bears just scare you to death…

In all seriousness, I think they win out. SCar prob best chance to pull it off but Bama knows this is a must win. Mizzou is softer than charmin. Tenn is an 8-4 ish team with an overrated fatfuck HC and freshman QB. LSU has Brian Kelly as a HC. OU will have quit by then. Auburn is about as good as smeared dogshit all over the shag carpet.

Next loss will be to Texas in Atlanta. 41-28 good guys.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

What's the next game that Roll Tide loses?
image.png.cc6dc728982d325b4d6de55ccd8834d7.png

Possibly Tenn ;20% xhance, LSU 30%, (Auburn 50/50 much like Tex/ou) because of the rivalry. Milroe panics too much and relies on Ryan Williams to make plays. I bet they cover him all game if they're smart (Tenn and LSU aren't). 
They should win out, but we've seen them lose to inferior opponents, and Deboer will have to get into a scoring match since their DBs suck shit, and their D-line seems average, at best. 

If they win out, they're next loss will be to Texas 45-20

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was a poorly constructed model in earlier days of that kind of digital community. The notion was a central site, BC, with satellite sites leveraging the same tech and “management guidance” with content specific for various niches (fanbases or recruiting).

Sounds okay, right? Problem from there is that Dunlevie decided to cut only himself and Scipio in on the ownership structure and he didn’t raise any money. 

He didn’t do that in a corrupt manner. It was known early and wasn’t worth a fight for those also contributing. I was starting my own thing and tapped out when we got serious about needing to write content to kick off. Came back to longhorn netdom a year later when things were going well and wrote a lot over there for the fun of it. Others did there and elsewhere on the other sites. 

The problem is that the model required a lot of cajoling and haranguing from Dunlevie to get other people to keep producing timely content and they didn’t have skin in the game. So you had a lot of sites not producing for other schools, and a lot of pressure on folks who viewed it as a friendship lark. That leads to bringing in weaker and weaker writers who are taking stabs because they’re excited to be included. 

There was also an emerging frankenstein issue with traffic and ethics and monetary needs when success was emerging elsewhere that Dunlevie couldn’t really manage. So they exited and probably made a little dough and had an earnout to boot. 

3 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

The Mercer Bears just scare you to death…

In all seriousness, I think they win out. SCar prob best chance to pull it off but Bama knows this is a must win. Mizzou is softer than charmin. Tenn is an 8-4 ish team with an overrated fatfuck HC and freshman QB. LSU has Brian Kelly as a HC. OU will have quit by then. Auburn is about as good as smeared dogshit all over the shag carpet.

Next loss will be to Texas in Atlanta. 41-28 good guys.

They have too many holes on defense, lack the depth they’ve relied on to help soften that issue when it used to occur, and their offensive line is a mess. They’re losing somewhere else before having a chance to play in the title game. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I would agree. He just doesn't care about defence and doesn't dare about defense. Just offense. So you're right. It's just a matter of time when recruits see this. 

Bama was generally an offensive team the last half of Saban’s tenure. They were top 25 defensively last year, just behind Texas, but that’s not the standard I’m sure we all hold for Saban. Did we collectively forget how bad our defense was Sark’s first year?

1 hour ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Possibly Tenn ;20% xhance, LSU 30%, (Auburn 50/50 much like Tex/ou) because of the rivalry. Milroe panics too much and relies on Ryan Williams to make plays. I bet they cover him all game if they're smart (Tenn and LSU aren't). 
They should win out, but we've seen them lose to inferior opponents, and Deboer will have to get into a scoring match since their DBs suck shit, and their D-line seems average, at best. 

If they win out, they're next loss will be to Texas 45-20

They are going to have trouble w Tenn as the Tenn pass rush will not allow Milroe to throw long. Will be like our game last year.

Edited by Alien Octopus
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

DeBoer's reasoning was that Moore really loves Alabama football and worked hard to sell DeBoer to players so they wouldn't leave in January. 

Essentially he delivered the message that if you kiss the coach's ass enough then you can behave however you want.  The fact he isn't even suspended for at least a half, which would be the justified consequence for slamming Pavia's head into the turf if the refs had seen it and called it, is absurd. If I'm Vanderbilt I'm sending the clip of that to the league office and asking how that isn't much worse than regular targeting. 

Moore is going to sit out a half. It will happen on Nov. 16, when Mercer comes to town. Until then, Bama will need their stalwart leader out there to guide younger teammates. Some of them haven't yet learned the finer points of throwing a hissy fit, but there's still time. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, horn009 said:

DeBoer is another Lincoln Riley. 

Klatt agrees this Bama team like LRiley teams

Alabama's Defense is a 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐌! | Joel Klatt Talks College Football on The Next Round

Inge going to Tennessee instead of Bama likely hurt DeBoer's defensive staff

New linebackers coach William Inge reveals why he’s at Tennessee instead of Alabama

image.thumb.png.149b1a5e40b3bf1cadee92c1301fe3d9.png

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/article/william-inge-new-linebackers-coach-reveals-why-hes-at-tennessee-vols-instead-of-alabama-crimson-tide-kalen-deboer-228097787/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, B00M said:

Bama was generally an offensive team the last half of Saban’s tenure. They were top 25 defensively last year, just behind Texas, but that’s not the standard I’m sure we all hold for Saban. Did we collectively forget how bad our defense was Sark’s first year?

No I did try forget, but Deboer has a pattern of pretty bad and tries to go the Riley way of out scoring their opponents. Defense is the last thing he cares about.

In 1969, Vandy beat Bama 14-10 with Mack’s brother Watson Brown at qb.   That was a 6-5 Bryant team.  In 1970 we went 6-6 with an extra regular season game.  Fair weather spoiled fans (assholes) were avoiding Bryant in restaurants.  Bryant met with DKR in the offseason, installed the wishbone and went ten years straight averaging 10 or more wins and won or shared the 1978 and 1979 NCs.  Bama was in the picture for a handful of championships between 1970-1980.  1973 NC was awarded to us by UPI but I don’t know anyone who counts that one.  We choked the 1973 Sugar Bowl to ND 24-23 in a helluva game in which Tom Clements late in the game threw the pass of a lifetime on 3rd and long out of his own end zone do a big slow bohunk tight end, Robin Weber, who had never been targeted but a couple of times.  He was wide open and pulled it in.  Game over.  Ara had them balls.

You never know what’s coming around the corner.  I like DeBoer and think he’ll be fine.  If we lose Willie and a few truckloads full of t shirt fans, good riddance.

Roll Tide and Hook ‘em.  Honestly. I think this Bama team is not that bad but also not through losing games.  C’est la vie.  Try like hell to win each play and don’t get bogged down in the bullshit between games.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

In 1969, Vandy beat Bama 14-10 with Mack’s brother Watson Brown at qb.   That was a 6-5 Bryant team.  In 1970 we went 6-6 with an extra regular season game.  Fair weather spoiled fans (assholes) were avoiding Bryant in restaurants.  Bryant met with DKR in the offseason, installed the wishbone and went ten years straight averaging 10 or more wins and won or shared the 1978 and 1979 NCs.  Bama was in the picture for a handful of championships between 1970-1980.  1973 NC was awarded to us by UPI but I don’t know anyone who counts that one.  We choked the 1973 Sugar Bowl to ND 24-23 in a helluva game in which Tom Clements late in the game threw the pass of a lifetime on 3rd and long out of his own end zone do a big slow bohunk tight end, Robin Weber, who had never been targeted but a couple of times.  He was wide open and pulled it in.  Game over.  Ara had them balls.

You never know what’s coming around the corner.  I like DeBoer and think he’ll be fine.  If we lose Willie and a few truckloads full of t shirt fans, good riddance.

Roll Tide and Hook ‘em.  Honestly. I think this Bama team is not that bad but also not through losing games.  C’est la vie.  Try like hell to win each play and don’t get bogged down in the bullshit between games.

No offense or anything, but your school claims like 15 fake titles. The idea that they wouldn't claim one that is actually legitimate while claiming shit from the 1910s and 20s is comical. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

What's the next game that Roll Tide loses?
image.png.cc6dc728982d325b4d6de55ccd8834d7.png

If their defense doesn't get better in a hurry, the only guaranteed wins left on that schedule are probably South Carolina, Missouri, and Mercer. The rest of the games are toss-ups. 

bama fans getting weak, no burning crosses in his yard

he was an idiot for taking this job but i’ll guess that 100% guaranteed contract helps

he’ll be gone after next season. bama fans have only themselves to blame, need to pay more for better players 

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No offense or anything, but your school claims like 15 fake titles. The idea that they wouldn't claim one that is actually legitimate while claiming shit from the 1910s and 20s is comical. 

No offense taken.  I’m perfectly happy to claim these few, including one which (gasp!) predated the AP poll era.

1. 1961 - Undefeated Bama beat Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl

2. 1992 - Undefeated Bama beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl

3. 2010 - Undefeated Bama beat Texas in the Rose Bowl.  What if Colt hadn’t been injured?  What if Colt had handed off instead of running into the teeth of that defense?  What if Squints, instead of being strip sacked, had hit Shipley for 50 yards and Texas kicked a tying field goal?  Who the fuck knows?

4. 1930 - Undefeated Bama beat Washington State in the Rose Bowl.  That one is special because my father played end (bogh esys) on that team.  Running full speed covering a punt in Rose Bowl practice in Tuscaloosa, he was clipped smack on the left knee and couldn’t play in the Rose Bowl.  That knee would be scoped today without a second thought and he’d be fine in a few weeks.  But not in those days.  The University refused to allow him to make the trip (ASSHOLES!).  He never gave them a farthing for the rest of his 82 years but he did take me to a hell of a lot of games, including three Sugar Bowls.

Four is plenty enough for me.  The games in between are pretty fucking good, too.  Good Luck, Horns.  We’re a couple of years away, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Dude is full of shit. You don’t need a defensive play call when the other team is in victory formation.

I noticed the whole game the Bama D was often unready, guys still looking at the sideline as Vandy was snapping the ball. Not good. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Is it, or being a Bama fan, that's as high as you can count?

Nope.  That count was for the three I attended in person and the fourth one was for 1930. the season my father played in.  I still respect your rich tapestry of Surly jibes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/8/2024 at 11:59 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Maybe he’s a dumbass and I’m a dumbass, too, but I really like watching his stuff every week. 

I just wish he didn’t have that fake accent or whatever he’s trying to do

2 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Alabama is at this point in their transition.

IMG_6120.thumb.jpeg.44a18d35ee29c7cf9be56991b2971529.jpeg

Nebraska has to go hundreds (if not thousands) of miles for recruits. Alabama could (and has) have a down period, but unlike NU they'll always have access to talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

You must mean "gibes," not "jibes;" Surly rarely agrees with anything. 

I guess his jibe didn’t jive with my gibe.  Roll Tide anyway.  Remember chicken wire and crepe paper?  Lo, the gibbous moon doth rise.  Thank for teaching me something new.

image.thumb.jpeg.681a1545de781969ee7b94dfe4c3726d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Nope.  That count was for the three I attended in person and the fourth one was for 1930. the season my father played in.  I still respect your rich tapestry of Surly jibes.

Thank you. That is wonderfully poetic, and I think it give rise to a fine motto for this web site.

Yes.

Respect Our Rich Tapestry of Surly Jibes.

• Hook 'Em 1