Tell me about Milwaukee

Texas St. Armadillos

• 6 months later...

Looking at possibly heading up to Milwaukee last days of July.  My wife & I love breweries and neighborhood bars…..but we’ll have our 6 & 9 year daughters with us for this trip.  We’ll be going to a Brewers game, but any suggestions on kid-friendly venues that can also be enjoyed by adults?  Looking to stay downtown. 

Lived there for a couple of years right out of school, but that was so long ago (late 90's) I'm sure its a different  scene. Good to know Bryants is still slinging stiff cocktails and an amusing scene. Wolski's is one of my favorite dive bars in the world, and just a few  blocks from where the Lakefront brewery is now located. Its been years since I've set foot in there,  but we would usually head over at 12  or 1 AM as their  last call was a flexible concept, but usually ran at least 30 mins  past city ordinances. Our go-to was stiff beam and cokes served in pint glasses for next to nothing. If you've ever seen a "I Closed Wolskis" tshirt or  bumper sticker, thats the origin.  We'd pound those while playing pool/darts until they kicked us out, and then head over to Ma Fishers at 3AM for ham and cheese omelettes. 

9 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Looking at possibly heading up to Milwaukee last days of July.  My wife & I love breweries and neighborhood bars…..but we’ll have our 6 & 9 year daughters with us for this trip.  We’ll be going to a Brewers game, but any suggestions on kid-friendly venues that can also be enjoyed by adults?  Looking to stay downtown. 

It's not considered bad form in the Midwest to bring kids to breweries and neighborhood bars FWIW.  Especially if they serve food.  Any of the breweries are gonna be fairly kid friendly.

I think kids would have fun down by the lake near the Summerfest grounds and art museum.  That's walking distance from downtown.  The Public Market and Third Ward in general would be kid friendly and solid places to wander around.

10 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Was up there for a wedding last year.  Great town.  Stayed at the Pfister Hotel.  It was very nice.  Concierge knew we were going to the Brewer game, so he told us to walk to the bar area.  From there, order a beer and you get a free shuttle to and from the stadium.  Great deal.

Hotel bar was great.  Do NOT order an old fashioned in Milwaukee.  They put sprite or Mountain Dew or something in them up there.  Disgusting.

14 minutes ago, garrett01 said:

Was up there for a wedding last year.  Great town.  Stayed at the Pfister Hotel.  It was very nice.  Concierge knew we were going to the Brewer game, so he told us to walk to the bar area.  From there, order a beer and you get a free shuttle to and from the stadium.  Great deal.

Hotel bar was great.  Do NOT order an old fashioned in Milwaukee.  They put sprite or Mountain Dew or something in them up there.  Disgusting.

Brandy is how they poison Old Fashioneds in Wisconsin.  Just disgusting.  One of the few things I don't care for about that state's culture.

28 minutes ago, garrett01 said:

Good, was looking at the Pfister.