I caught the cancer

Burt

23 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Had a squamous cell removed from my ear a few years back. Caught my attention. Now I’m all over my kids making sure they’re wearing sun protection. My parents never did. So I guess it’s a good thing.

on the broader subject, my Dad and brother both had bouts with Prostate cancer. So yeah that screening is happening every year. 

I've admittedly gotten a little lax with sun screen on myself the past couple of years. Not intentionally, but I sometimes get lost in coaching a game before suddenly realizing my ears are on fire.

I do preach to my girls before and during practices and games to put it on, though.

• Drool 1

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Sitting at MD Anderson awaiting our first appointment of 5 appointments and 4 tests over the next 3 days. Feels like I'm staring into the abyss, trying to be cautiously optimistic and struggling not to see it as a black hole. 

No idea what the path looks like after Thursday. Change is certain....fuck cancer. Putting our faith in the hands of the best cancer treatment there is.

I was sitting where you are just a few months ago. It is really hard and it is ok to be scared, reassure your wife that this is what you signed up for when you got married (supporting each other) and support her. 

Remember you are in the best place in the world to be right now. 

Edited by hornbri
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Fico said:

Just got mom out of the hospital back into the house for hospice. She has had two ostomies due to blockages that were tumor related and her oncologist says she too weak/frail for another round of chemo. Been about 14 months since stage 4 colon cancer diagnosis. She was on a regular colonoscopy schedule and was actually schedule for one two days before her diagnosis. 

It’s been a tough year and half, and going to be tough through the end. 

Fuck cancer. 

Very rough. I'm always the youngest person at the infusion center and feel like I'm cheating when I see how hard chemo effects older people. Respect to your mom and my thoughts to your family.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2024 at 3:27 PM, Fico said:

Just got mom out of the hospital back into the house for hospice. She has had two ostomies due to blockages that were tumor related and her oncologist says she too weak/frail for another round of chemo. Been about 14 months since stage 4 colon cancer diagnosis. She was on a regular colonoscopy schedule and was actually schedule for one two days before her diagnosis. 

It’s been a tough year and half, and going to be tough through the end. 

Fuck cancer. 

Dammit Fico, sorry man.  Was she on the ten years between colonoscopies schedule?  people should get them younger and people should get them more often.   Colon cancer is becoming more common.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 3:53 PM, Stringer said:

I had my bone marrow test, 1 year after my stem cell transplant.  The news is....not great.  While the leukemia is not back, there are traceable amounts of it.  So, we are trying a chemo drug for now. If that doesn't work, we'll have to do another transplant in the future, which no one wants to do.

It sucks because everyone was feeling great about everything, including my doctors.  I was starting to meet with people to get back to work and go on a real training regime to get my body back in shape.  Now, we're starting over.  Just a massive kick in the nuts.

that mental letdown after all your work just sucks Stringer.  Still, you got this.   Bump in the road as it were.  A giant fucked up crap sucking bump, I will admit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:35 PM, Sbbruin said:

Fuck.  So sorry to hear this update.

Do NOT go down the google hole.  I did when I was first diagnosed and thought I was basically a dead man walking.  A lot of the info is older and takes in huge sample sizes and treatment at all manner of locations.  You're going to one of thebest in the country.  She's got this.

This.   there is a hell of a lot of depressing and very inaccurate crap on the Internet.   And if it says you’ve got a 5% chance, there is not one damn thing in the world that says you were not gonna be in that 5%.  

The entire time I was absolutely 100% positive that I would beat whatever it was.   That might not have been perfectly accurate, medically, but I have to think that my absolute lack of depression and worry the last five years did me some kind of good physically.   And it sure as hell helped my family dealing with it.   Individual results may vary, and there is no shame in dealing with it a different way. My best to you and your wife.   MD Anderson was a godsend to me and kept me from being gutted like a fish for no particular reason in an unnecessary surgery..  you are where you need to be

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

53 minutes ago, seven said:

4 hour laproscopic surgery turned in to a 9 hour open but all the goals were met. She even carved out the diseased lyphnodes. I'm so god damn sore but as happy as I've ever been. Twas a great day gentleman 

The shit people will do just to get their thumb on a morphine pump….

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

On 8/20/2024 at 6:34 PM, hornbri said:

I was sitting where you are just a few months ago. It is really hard and it is ok to be scared, reassure your wife that this is what you signed up for when you got married (supporting each other) and support her. 

Remember you are in the best place in the world to be right now. 

All of this ^^^^^

Couldn’t say it better.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, seven said:

4 hour laproscopic surgery turned in to a 9 hour open but all the goals were met. She even carved out the diseased lyphnodes. I'm so god damn sore but as happy as I've ever been. Twas a great day gentleman 

Excellent!  Amazing what laproscopy can do.  I had half my digestive system remove and hardly have any scars from it.

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Excellent!  Amazing what laproscopy can do.  I had half my digestive system remove and hardly have any scars from it.

IMG_3286.gif.1342061dec8693000421909bdf21572e.gif

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think we're cancer eskimo brothers.  They cut out the other end of my GI from what they did yours.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, seven said:

How bout them compression socks? You're ridin the pain-killer train and them dang ol socks keep a zhushin and a pushin, man.

Also, for when you go home, if you have a bouncy dog who's glad to see you, sleep with a pillow over the incision.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/29/2024 at 2:08 PM, Sbbruin said:

Did you wake up in Tijuana, in bath tub filled with ice?

I've read about that on the internet, so it must be true

On 8/29/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sbbruin said:

I see a bright future for you as a drug mule, my friend.  Lemonade out of lemons, as it were.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the wordsmith RDC is so I'll keep this short. Asking another person to wipe my ass because I couldn't reach that day is the most humbling experience of my life. It honestly emboldened my connection to society and appreciation of the rarely discussed kindness of humans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Drool 1

I'm not the wordsmith RDC is so I'll keep this short. Asking another person to wipe my ass because I couldn't reach that day is the most humbling experience of my life. It honestly emboldened my connection to society and appreciation of the rarely discussed kindness of humans. 

I dare you to smear a half-melted chocolate bar on your ass and then call the nurse.

23 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Visiting this thread on behalf of my dad. 73 years old, urethral cancer survivor (diagnosed 8 years ago, surgery, treated), who now has been diagnosed with a Chordoma in his lower back. This super rare (300 people diagnosed every year in the US) cancer has wrapped around his spinal cord and docs at MD Anderson will attempt to remove it in one piece to prevent recurring. Chordomas are caused by leftover cells during fetal development that typically die off after the spinal cord is formed. It’s slow growing as all chordomas are. However, his annual CT scans after his urethral cancer would always show a small spot light up. He had some pain in his lower butt where his legs hamstrings connected to his glutes and went to get an MRI and it lit up like a Christmas tree. They’re heading down in a couple weeks for treatment plans and to schedule surgery. 

Thankfully, they don’t believe this one has metastasized. Radiation and proton therapy are on the table as well. We shall see.

Keeping all those who are battling in my thoughts and wishing you all rest and recovery during your difficult times.

You and your dad will be in my thoughts.  MDA gonna open a can of whoop-ass on that-there chordoma 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

You and your dad will be in my thoughts.  MDA gonna open a can of whoop-ass on that-there chordoma 

I truly believe so. My mom is an absolute wreck with it all.

Of course MDA has a doctor that specializes in Chordoma. It’s still such a small subset of sarcomas that there hasn’t been a ton of research on it. 

It’s wild though. My dad was very overweight for his entire life. After his first diagnosis, he cleaned his act up. Quit smoking, in the process of losing weight (down like 50 lbs with Ozympic), making better food choices, being more active. Then this. It fucking sucks but I think he’s taking it in stride. He’s tough as a mother fucker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Just got my blood work done and still all good. I feel guilty walking through the doors at Md Anderson for bloodwork when you see so many people just grinding to kick cancer’s ass. Fuck cancer!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Welp, I got the bad news today, I have prostate cancer.  Good news is it was caught early.   Have to review treatment options over the next 10 days or so before deciding what to do about it.  Being I’ve been married almost 40 years my initial thought is just cut it all out.  Curious if others had to make that decision.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Welp, I got the bad news today, I have prostate cancer.  Good news is it was caught early.   Have to review treatment options over the next 10 days or so before deciding what to do about it.  Being I’ve been married almost 40 years my initial thought is just cut it all out.  Curious if others had to make that decision.

Define "all." You gonna end up looking like a Ken doll?

And catching it early is key.  My old man was probably your age or so when he was diagnosed.  Went to MD Anderson, radiation pellet treatment, he's been fine for 25+ years.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Define "all." You gonna end up looking like a Ken doll?

And catching it early is key.  My old man was probably your age or so when he was diagnosed.  Went to MD Anderson, radiation pellet treatment, he's been fine for 25+ years.

I don’t have the last part of the test results which tells how aggressive it is, so not sure what options are best as far as treatment.  Was only 7 on the Gleason scale (6 to 10) so that’s good.  I’ve fucked enough shit my first 58 years that I’m good with having surgery, but it’s a tough decision anyway.

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don’t have the last part of the test results which tells how aggressive it is, so not sure what options are best as far as treatment.  Was only 7 on the Gleason scale (6 to 10) so that’s good.  I’ve fucked enough shit my first 58 years that I’m good with having surgery, but it’s a tough decision anyway.

You're 58.  There's still plenty of fuckin' to be done.  Don't write that off if you don't have to.

22 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

As Brisket said, early detection, especially for prostate cancer, is key.  Knock that shit out Judge.

Dammit man. Catching that early will be key. If you need anything hit me up and I will do what I can.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Two weeks in the hospital, got out this afternoon. I've been blasting/dribbling liquid out of my ass every 1-3 hours for 3 days with no end in sight. I know this will be worth it in the end but right now my butthole thinks I'm a real jerk. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Being I’ve been married almost 40 years my initial thought is just cut it all out.  Curious if others had to make that decision.

I went RALP at 56 (Gleason 3+4) and am back to normal with a little pharma help.

Is your Gleason 7 3+4?