Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

21 hours ago, Deej said:

Penny is a barking machine. Has a different bark for everything. Food, water, need to go out? You name it, she has a specific bark for it, but her favorite thing is sitting in the middle of the yard and just barking to make sure everyone knows she's there. 

Same for mine - sadly I'm the only human in this house who understands the different barks. He'll be barking at the door to go pee and everyone else ignores him thinking he's barking at a squirrel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2024 at 7:35 PM, Deej said:

Penny is a barking machine. Has a different bark for everything. Food, water, need to go out? You name it, she has a specific bark for it, but her favorite thing is sitting in the middle of the yard and just barking to make sure everyone knows she's there. 

As my dad used to say, "Just barking to feel their brains rattle around."

1 minute ago, baboso said:

As my dad used to say, "Just barking to feel their brains rattle around."

The mutt is very quiet  guess it is the Chow side.  When she does bark, sh1t is going down tho.

On 7/15/2024 at 9:38 PM, mooseoutfront said:

Magnum has developed into a straight up killer in his middle age. Eight-ish years old and he’s bringing home voles and squirrels and rabbits. 

IMG_8545.jpeg

Just throwing it out there, maybe you have a vole problem?  And Magnum is taking care of it?

7 hours ago, mchookem said:

Duke got his second parvo and first lepto vax this morning and they seriously knocked him on his ass 😟 turned into a whimpering mess, i couldn't even touch his haunch where he got the shot or hold him, he yelped 💔 no allergic reaction but obviously a lot of pain, i had to run back up to the vet to get some pain med for him. he wouldn't eat and slept about 8 hours... then woke up this evening back to normal and gnawing on everything including me 😄 

20240715_124136.thumb.jpg.66550abeb942c97cd989dfb6aadbdc32.jpg

he's up to 4.3 lbs 😁 my friend hadn't seen him since the day i got him, about 2 1/2 weeks... she'd crocheted him a sweater but it was already too small 😆 so we're using it as a toy!

i freaking love his little overbite lol 🥰

tight-dick-playa-eastbound-and-down.gif

• Haha 2

Unfortunately I found Brie doing a Nazi salute the other day. Looks like she might have been radicalized online, though she is half German / half French so maybe it’s a Vichy government type deal. 

IMG_0772.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, mchookem said:

Duke got his second parvo and first lepto vax this morning and they seriously knocked him on his ass 😟 turned into a whimpering mess, i couldn't even touch his haunch where he got the shot or hold him, he yelped 💔 no allergic reaction but obviously a lot of pain, i had to run back up to the vet to get some pain med for him. he wouldn't eat and slept about 8 hours... then woke up this evening back to normal and gnawing on everything including me 😄 

20240715_124136.thumb.jpg.66550abeb942c97cd989dfb6aadbdc32.jpg

he's up to 4.3 lbs 😁 my friend hadn't seen him since the day i got him, about 2 1/2 weeks... she'd crocheted him a sweater but it was already too small 😆 so we're using it as a toy!

i freaking love his little overbite lol 🥰

Everything is a toy to them at this age. The pups love paper towels, corks, and most especially sticks.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TOR said:

Just throwing it out there, maybe you have a vole problem?  And Magnum is taking care of it?

Oh, we have a major vole problem. They are everywhere. They stay out of the cabin in the summer, but in the winter I set an extensive trap line. 

He’s been a vole hunter for years, the rabbit and squirrel killings are new. 

After I get up in the morning and feed him I let him out and he goes on his daily patrol. He’s usually gone for 45 min to an hour. Lately he’s been bringing back his trophies. I wish he’d just bury them out in the woods. 

41 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Grain free?

Life Protection yada yada, chicken and brown rice.  Which is what she usually gets.  Won't eat the salmon.  

I'm a little worried because she's old and pooping water is going to dehydrate her.  

doggo2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Deej said:

He's just giving you your tribute. Be proud.

I know and I am.  He's really proud of himself when he brings something home. 

The problem is more often then not they are still somewhat kicking when he gets home and I end up having to break their necks then dispose of the carcasses.  He wont eat the squirrels and the rabbits are full of worms in the summer time.

Country dog doing country dog things.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Country dog doing country dog things.

Lola (RIP best dog ever) our Aussie, used to dig up/find squirrel corpses that we had disposed of in back pasture and bring them to the door.  She even dug up shallow grave critters that we put in the ground to try and keep her from the corpse play.  Nothing like a dog that loves the smell of rotting flesh and wants to share it with the family!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TOR said:

I changed the mutt's food to Blue Buffalo and now she has the incredible shits.  Is there something wrong with the food?  Effing advertising.

mutt.png

In my experience, that's just how dogs are. We've been feeding our 2 the exact same kibble for a decade. Previous attempts to try other diets or even other brands have ended in diarrhea. Hell, one of my dogs has his stomach gurgle non-stop and loses his appetite for the evening after going to the kennel b/c the treats they have aren't the same as the ones they get at home.

• Like 1

Depressing story out of Beaumont, but at least a happy ending. Old man commits suicide by cop, leaves a note asking for his dog to be taken care of. Hundreds of people immediately offered to adopt and he already has a new home and new brother.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/man-fatally-shot-by-police-leaves-behind-note-asking-dog-be-taken-care-of/502-2952a1c3-35c1-4f14-9f7a-a59e8a9cbe88

Before a 68-year-old Beaumont man with a gun had a fatal encounter with police in the street in front of his Old Town home on Monday, he leashed his dog and left a note asking that a home be found for him.  

The handwritten note was found in a ziplock bag, attached to the collar of "Buddy," a Labrador Retriever, inside the home of Charles Carrol, 68, who died after being shot by Beaumont Police on Monday.

When a Beaumont Animal Care officer arrived to assist police, they found Buddy, already leashed, with the note attached to his collar hiding under a table. Here's what the note said...

"Buddy is afraid of strangers. He has never bitten anyone.  He is not an apartment dog. He needs kids. 

He pulls hard against the leash. Not suitable for walks. Needs fenced yard or acreage in the country.

A wonderful dog. Licks faces, hands, shoes. Please get him a home."

Two hours after the post was made a home was found for Buddy according to Beaumont Animal Care.

"He wasn't so skittish, we sat here, we hung out for a little bit. I wanted to take him home right then and there," said Buddy's new owner, Chase Warren.

Warren has decided to give the yellow lab a new lease on life.

"I needed my dog to have a friend. He's getting up there in age, he's nine, and Buddy's nine," said Warren.

Warren said his main goal is to give Buddy a good home. "There's no telling what he saw, what he went through during that time. The only I can do is do right by his dad and treat him like he's my own," said Warren.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Depressing story out of Beaumont, but at least a happy ending. Old man commits suicide by cop, leaves a note asking for his dog to be taken care of. Hundreds of people immediately offered to adopt and he already has a new home and new brother.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/news/local/man-fatally-shot-by-police-leaves-behind-note-asking-dog-be-taken-care-of/502-2952a1c3-35c1-4f14-9f7a-a59e8a9cbe88

This is a rough story.  Only surprising thing is the cops didn't shoot Buddy.  

Went to Pietzsch.  Still have family there.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:
Some days worrying about my dog is the only thing that keeps me going

Note to self: Never marry a stripper

/I kid. I kid.  The idea of his dogs missing him may have saved my older son's life during a rough period of time for him that has, since, improved drastically, or so it seems and so I hope.  We have layered our and their lives with great dogs.  It's an emotion that's a very subtle survival instinct.

And they're so sweet when Archie isn't wildong and eating my wallet. I'll be following his little ATM ass around for the next 12 hours.

6997a71754a9b6010a63761a93d273a1.jpg

Archie and Maeby

8ab695aad71ca07fc1a11a5b785b9ed0.jpg

Gracie

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Shit, I’ve started and stopped a post to this thread several times this past month.  My vizsla is almost 11 and epileptic, but seizures were pretty controlled.  Until about a month ago, when I was out of town, and he had what apparently was a huge cluster of seizures.  Wife took him to pet ER and they tried a lot of things including Midolazam, keppra, and nothing worked until they did an IV with phenobarbital.  Even then he was still seizing, but less often.  After I got home we picked him up since I usually care for him myself, and after talking to the vet we put him on bromide as well.  

Btw, pet ER can get 5k before you blink.  

We got home and he was still seizing but more controlled than before.  After another 24 hours he stopped and we were able to assess the damage.  His back legs basically weren’t working, whether due to ataxia or neuropathy, and he was obviously in pain.  

We got harnesses, slings, and went to work on therapy.  For about two weeks he steadily improved.  Then out of the blue, he starts dragging his paws and tripping.  In addition it looks like he’s having focal seizures (he usually has grand Mals).  Really weird.  

Vet tells us she’s out of ideas and we should go to a neurologist.  2 hours away.  So off we fucking go, get there and realize this neurologist is a fucking idiot, asking us for videos of the seizures and a log.  Another 1k wasted.

At this point I contact a vet who does home euthanasia because I feel like the dog is just suffering needlessly.  She comes twice, the first time I wave her off because I’m seeing some improvement.  The second she gives me pain medicine for the dog, because she thinks there is probably some underlying pain besides the seizures causing the lack of mobility.

We got him on Meloxicam and so far, so good.  Three anti convulsants and a pain med and I think he’s averted the rainbow bridge for now.  I cried more over my dog than I have for anyone else in a long time.  I really thought he was done for a few days, and I’m glad I am so stubborn and wouldn’t stop trying for him.

We don’t deserve our dogs, but we can try to live up to what they think we are.

Don’t know what metro area you are located in, but we had to take our dog to a neurologist to evaluate a bulging disc in his neck. Our vet in Houston referred us to a neurologist in Sugar Land that she knows from vet school. We were very impressed with her and felt like her consultation was thorough and extremely competent. Happy to share the details if you happen to be in the Houston area.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, royiv said:

Don’t know what metro area you are located in, but we had to take our dog to a neurologist to evaluate a bulging disc in his neck. Our vet in Houston referred us to a neurologist in Sugar Land that she knows from vet school. We were very impressed with her and felt like her consultation was thorough and extremely competent. Happy to share the details if you happen to be in the Houston area.

Unfortunately we’re in BFE in California.  Neurologist was near San Jose and can get fucked with a rusty butter knife.  Our euthanizing vet has been the most helpful as she doesn’t give a shit about standard of care.  It’s amazing how lawyers ruin things they touch.

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Unfortunately we’re in BFE in California.  Neurologist was near San Jose and can get fucked with a rusty butter knife.  Our euthanizing vet has been the most helpful as she doesn’t give a shit about standard of care.  It’s amazing how lawyers ruin things they touch.

Damn. The only good thing about living in a metro with a bunch of aggys is that the good ones are excellent vets. 

• Hook 'Em 2

@Hefeweizen good luck man. That's a tough situation. When that happened with my Malamute in the early 00s it was a brain tumor. We tried radiation and it didn't work. When I saw it happen a couple of years ago with the St. Bernard we sit (husband was out of town so wife and I had to go help) they just couldn't get them to stop and ultimately she had to make the call. Sorry I don't have better stories for you. Fingers crossed. 

@TOR did you figure out the food issues? When you switched you did it gradual right?

• Hook 'Em 1

We have solid stools now, thanks for asking.   I switched just bag to bag, my mistake.  She looooves the blue stuff, which may have added to the condition.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

@Hefeweizen good luck man. That's a tough situation. When that happened with my Malamute in the early 00s it was a brain tumor. We tried radiation and it didn't work. When I saw it happen a couple of years ago with the St. Bernard we sit (husband was out of town so wife and I had to go help) they just couldn't get them to stop and ultimately she had to make the call. Sorry I don't have better stories for you. Fingers crossed. 

@TOR did you figure out the food issues? When you switched you did it gradual right?

Thanks man.  It’s not a tumor, he’s had idiopathic epilepsy for 5 years.  It’s just that he’s old and things kind of fell apart.  I’m doing my own physical therapy with him taking him into the ocean in a harness and letting him paddle.  I’m a fucking tenacious asshole when it comes to people I love (he’s my best friend).  We’re going to get him back to as good as he can be.  I can’t imagine not giving it my all.

• Hook 'Em 4

arnold schwarzenegger its not a tumor GIF

Good to hear you are battling. I haven't had any transformational experience with it but out of curiosity have you tried CBD? I have heard people claim that it has helped their pet for seizures/epilepsy. Don't take my word for it please, definitely talk to your vets.