Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Just in case anyone is looking. 2 females and a male. A friend's neighbor is trying to find homes for them. Central Austin, around Woodrow and North.

Screenshot_20240728_100702_Facebook.thumb.jpg.e89ebf43aaf2bbb8144ebd31520ce446.jpg

Sent the pictures to my wife. She said NOOOOOOOO.... Then asked about the breed and anticipated size. So working it. Damn they are cute.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

I do know they are part heeler. Every fog I've had that has been half heeler has been fantastic. 

Yep, they are. She wants a running/field dog and that would be good. Shit is just crazy right now but I am working on it.

I want her to get a GSD, but I don't have a vote on her next pup. Just nothing small, we have an old man who is crotchety already.

Blue is half heeler. Works well as it cancelled out her Husky side when it comes to escaping and running. She found her way out of the back yard one day and I didn't realize it for about 15 minutes. Thought she was probably blocks away. Nope. Was sitting at the front door waiting for me to let her back inside. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eb59010f8f4455e2232cf55f3684bba8.jpg
854b9b6121070b2dc938bbcd0e422b3d.jpg
a1a34dba888d120b991dc14b7a203ad4.jpg
41272919392f62b2cde64eb36d26395f.jpg
Fostering this girl. She will make a great pet for someone. House trained, crate trained, does well on a leash, and is only noisy when you forget that’s she’s the boss. She made it all night last night in the crate with no problem. Does well in the car too. Multiple trips yesterday and no problem. No link for adoption yet but if anyone is interested message me and I’ll notify when the link is ready. I don’t set the fee, collect it, or know what it will be.

That’s a good looking Beagle. I’d take her if we were able. Wife’s having major spine surgery tomorrow and recovery will be months. Hope someone here takes her.
  • Hook 'Em 1

any of y'all in austin got a pet sitter you can recommend for 2 large dogs? my parents usually watch them but my mom caught the cancer so i don't want to dump my dogs on them right now. i've used rover a couple times but it's been hit or miss. 

34 minutes ago, stc said:

any of y'all in austin got a pet sitter you can recommend for 2 large dogs? my parents usually watch them but my mom caught the cancer so i don't want to dump my dogs on them right now. i've used rover a couple times but it's been hit or miss. 

Me.

I can give you a list of reference a mile long. Plus I looked after Futureman's dog for about six months. 

The drawback is they might not want to go home. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Fortunately, he is a sheltie and not an aggy, so the only one who outranks me is Mrs Ramjet.

Hell. Who am I kidding. Everyone here at Casa Ramjet outranks me, and that most certainly includes canine residents and the grandspawn when they visit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

eb59010f8f4455e2232cf55f3684bba8.jpg
854b9b6121070b2dc938bbcd0e422b3d.jpg
a1a34dba888d120b991dc14b7a203ad4.jpg
41272919392f62b2cde64eb36d26395f.jpg
Fostering this girl. She will make a great pet for someone. House trained, crate trained, does well on a leash, and is only noisy when you forget that’s she’s the boss. She made it all night last night in the crate with no problem. Does well in the car too. Multiple trips yesterday and no problem. No link for adoption yet but if anyone is interested message me and I’ll notify when the link is ready. I don’t set the fee, collect it, or know what it will be.

d87bf3a573896ea3560f2e11fbb937ca.jpg
Star was adopted today. She took to the new humans right away. She was a really great dog and I’ll probably regret not failing this time.

17fca2d2baba7ce18d03dedca5007236.jpg

648d0ffce855fd75f320d776ef0a4feb.jpg
5c1a210dd842a9fe9eb20a2bc68b7954.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

Has anyone used a holistic vet that they would recommend in the Austin area? Or a vet that supports integrated treatments, with normal medical processes along with stuff like acupuncture? If you're thinking of making fun of me for asking, keep moving because I'm at my wit's end here. The background, which is long and I'll try to abbreviate, is that our 5-yo lab mix, Rocket, has a couple of chronic conditions that the vet is struggling to resolve. I'll spoiler the bulk of it here.

Reveal hidden contents

He was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia at 11 months old (vet said it was the worst case they'd ever seen) so he had two FHO surgeries over 2 years and while he walks a little wonky, that condition is resolved. In October 2022, we took him to the vet because he kept getting these nodules under his skin that would swell and burst. Very bloody and painful. Vet referred us to a dermatologist after trying to fix this issue for several months with no good long-term results.

The dermatologist diagnosed him with sterile nodular panniculitis, an autoimmune condition. She put him on several immunomodulating medications as well as prednisone. A few months later, he was slightly better but the only thing that fully got rid of the nodules was the prednisone. And every time we tried to wean him down, they would flare up. 

In the spring, we decided to try a much larger dose of prednisone (along with everything else). For a few months he was great. The panniculitis went into remission. Then, suddenly, he started experiencing steroid side effects all at once, and severely. Most of his skin is hardened and he has calcinosis cutis, with several large, scaly patches visible where the fur has come off. He has a lot of muscle wasting and it's hard for him to stand up on his own or use his back legs at all. He is incontinent and almost constantly drips pee. He pants constantly.

On July 8 we started a steroid weaning plan. The dermatologist was confident that all his symptoms were steroid-related and would resolve as we wean down. Two weeks later, I took him to the emergency vet because she was concerned he might be having an Addisonian crisis. He was not, but they did have to drain 2.5 liters (yes, you read that right) of pee from his bladder. No stones or anything physical blocking him from peeing. During the diagnostic process they did x-rays, and turns out he also has pneumonia. So in addition to everything else, he's now on two new antibiotics and a med that helps him pee. I'm not convinced that he's now able to fully empty his bladder so I'm going to have him rechecked in a couple of days. I think the back leg weakness and incontinence are linked.

Yada yada yada, he has to stay on pee pads or wear a diaper constantly. About half the time I have to help him stand up. He can get down the deck stairs to the back yard, but it takes him a while and even longer to get back up. He generally just seems sad. The only time he wags his tail anymore is when I see him first thing in the morning. The regular vet, who I generally like a lot, has basically given up. She referred us to A&M, so we are supposed to go there Aug 13 and meet with internal medicine. Last week, my husband took him in to check on the pneumonia and his bladder and they started dancing around the topic of end-of-life care. 

I'm not a vet, and maybe I'm just in denial, but I think it's crazy to go from "everything will resolve as we wean steroids" to end of life discussions in 3 weeks for a 5-yo dog. I've heard good things about acupuncture for dogs with incontinence and back leg weakness, and I've personally had good experiences with it (for other conditions, lol), hence my question above. I would do anything for this sad baby.

image.thumb.jpeg.c00839366ce120d2a8aa4d948808ac9c.jpeg

PM sent

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

poor thing.

I had a lab that had similar issues and we tried everything. We did do acupuncture for a while and it did seem to help. It was over 20 years ago so I can't be of any help as I tried to find her a few years ago and couldn't. Don't feel bad for trying. I'm rooting for your little guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Goodbye, Rocket-man. May you spend eternity bounding through fields.
image.thumb.jpeg.a533b1ffef5a9e7fe45018f4bedb6577.jpeg

I always dread opening this thread because of news like this. So sorry your family has suffered this loss. It’s so painful. I’m a man of faith and believe all our dogs will be with us in the next phase; Billy Graham said it couldn’t be heaven without our dogs. This is the rock I center my faith on. So Rocket will be there for yall. But pain free and at his best self. Good boy Rocket.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2024 at 11:30 AM, InkaUtexas said:

My mutt has some heeler in him. Goofy fuck, but knows the rules.

Ours is mostly heeler with some Great Pyrenees and German Shepard mixed in.  But she has the behavior of a heeler for sure, right down to going after my heels if I get near her touchstone, my wife.

On 8/1/2024 at 11:26 AM, Deej said:

I know we bag on aggy, but keep that appointment. They worked a miracle on Blue. Plus, they've seen just about everything and probably will figure it out 

I had a Golden named Maggie; I got when I was at UT.  She was a good girl.  She got cancer at 7.  We did the A&M thing, natural diet (she liked that), and everything else.  Cancer sucks.  Things probably have progressed.  But whatever the case, hamburger meat seemed appreciated.

RIP, Rocketman.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

53a09aebb60ff742122fbfa2c4d95f03.jpg
This is River. She belongs to my next door neighbor who sits in his garage day and night and lets her sit in the front yard. She never leaves the yard except..

When our terrier died last year I had a ton of treats leftover. So I’d occasionally give her one. She’d start coming into my garage if she heard me. She figured out that if the mail lady came I would go out to the box. If the Amazon truck came or grocery delivery I would come out. And she trained me to give her a treat. So now she will come on over as the truck leaves and stand in front of the Ring as she knows I’m coming with a treat. She is such a big sweet girl.

She has helped my wife cope with the last loss, which always starts with a resolute “I can’t do another one”. River is breaking down that wall. Wife loves this dog and now River passes by me to look for the wife. Good girl.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6