Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

15 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Beautiful dog. Breed?  

Not sure since she was a shelter adoption as a pup. Treeing Tennessee Brindle is the closest I’ve found online. Might finally spring for a DNA test for her 4th birthday next month.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, austingirl said:

My friends in east Austin found this pup about a month ago. They looked forever but no owner ever showed, so they got him chipped, neutered, and vaccinated. They love him but their other dogs are being jerks so they need to find a permanent home for him. Maybe someone here needs a super sweet dog to love, or knows someone? His name is Lucky.

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/42474986-austin-texas-labrador-retriever

image.thumb.png.3f730c910a574caf7b7102f410fa5fe7.png

image.thumb.png.c0565bc37e3303f59338dd98935513f6.png

image.thumb.png.6ec37e2bfcbf993de77b182ed3c24380.png

image.thumb.png.7304f43d93d8fd2b7f4ea3f0d9c3a09e.png

Going to talk to Mrs. MailRoom about this.  What's his energy level like?

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Going to talk to Mrs. MailRoom about this.  What's his energy level like?

Pretty energetic, like a typical lab puppy. I think it's one of the issues with her other dogs - they're older and don't want to deal with puppy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Pretty energetic, like a typical lab puppy. I think it's one of the issues with her other dogs - they're older and don't want to deal with puppy shit.

We lost our chocolate lab last year to sudden neurological issues associated with eating a toxic snail at lake LBJ.  His front leg ballooned up around his paw, started having seizures, and stopped eating.  Was a really terrible ordeal to go through so I can't say Mrs. MailRoom will be 100% onboard but going to talk to her about it this afternoon.

PSA - If your doggo ever gets sudden inflammation after going swimming in fresh water lakes, take them to the vet immediately.  We wound up with $8k in vet bills because no one could figure it out until it was too late.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

We lost our chocolate lab last year to sudden neurological issues associated with eating a toxic snail at lake LBJ.  His front leg ballooned up around his paw, started having seizures, and stopped eating.  Was a really terrible ordeal to go through so I can't say Mrs. MailRoom will be 100% onboard but going to talk to her about it this afternoon.

PSA - If your doggo ever gets sudden inflammation after going swimming in fresh water lakes, take them to the vet immediately.  We wound up with $8k in vet bills because no one could figure it out until it was too late.

I'm so sorry. That's horrible.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

This is where I get lucky that both of mine hate the water.  Between blue-green algae and other waterborne shit, it's something I don't really have to worry about.  Sorry for your loss.  That's awful.

• Hook 'Em 3

Sigh.  We had to put down our last dog in March of 2021.  Haven't gotten a new dog.  May not do so.

Saturday, I went dove hunting.  Decent shooting, I got 9.  But I only brought home 5, as I lost 4 in heavy/thick grass and vegetation.  Those are birds that, when I had a lab, I would have gotten.  Dog would sniff them out easily, and bring them to me.  It kinda sucked hunting without a dog.  Not sure what I'm gonna do about that yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Let it happen organically. I will say, however, that our new pup has been a boon to my mental health. Granted I am obsessed with animals and always have them around, but taking her for walks and watching her bond with my girls has been sublime. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  We had to put down our last dog in March of 2021.  Haven't gotten a new dog.  May not do so.

Saturday, I went dove hunting.  Decent shooting, I got 9.  But I only brought home 5, as I lost 4 in heavy/thick grass and vegetation.  Those are birds that, when I had a lab, I would have gotten.  Dog would sniff them out easily, and bring them to me.  It kinda sucked hunting without a dog.  Not sure what I'm gonna do about that yet.

You're gonna get another dog. That's what your going to do about that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Deej said:

You're gonna get another dog. That's what your going to do about that.

Well, I gotta tell ya....there's an upside to a house with no critters: the wife and I just take off and do whatever we want, whenever we want.  No need to board the dog or get a pet sitter when we travel.  No need to "get home to let the dog out" when we're out at dinner and a show.  There's some really great freedom that comes with not having a pet.  But yeah, there's lots of downside too.  I go over to someone's house where there's a dog, and I'm all about giving chin scratches, and just hanging out with the dog.  And of course, a good retriever is kind of a must-have for great hunting trips.  My wife feels the same way -- we love dogs, but we also love the freedom.  It's a tough call.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I gotta tell ya....there's an upside to a house with no critters: the wife and I just take off and do whatever we want, whenever we want.  No need to board the dog or get a pet sitter when we travel.  No need to "get home to let the dog out" when we're out at dinner and a show.  There's some really great freedom that comes with not having a pet.  But yeah, there's lots of downside too.  I go over to someone's house where there's a dog, and I'm all about giving chin scratches, and just hanging out with the dog.  And of course, a good retriever is kind of a must-have for great hunting trips.  My wife feels the same way -- we love dogs, but we also love the freedom.  It's a tough call.

I'm happy to bring Luna over for pets. She loves meeting new people and securing their home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Over 3 years without. SMDH

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

New dog can’t help your shooting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

New dog can’t help your shooting. 

I don't know....my last dog was highly critical of me when I would miss.  She'd bark at me like hell if three shots went off and no bird fell.  Cracked my buddies up - "your dog is giving you shit."

I was shooting pretty well on Saturday, which made it more frustrating.  I was dropping birds left and right, but lost almost half of them.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 9:23 AM, austingirl said:

They'll figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

see below: 

On 9/5/2024 at 8:34 PM, austingirl said:

My friends in east Austin found this pup about a month ago. They looked forever but no owner ever showed, so they got him chipped, neutered, and vaccinated. They love him but their other dogs are being jerks so they need to find a permanent home for him. Maybe someone here needs a super sweet dog to love, or knows someone? His name is Lucky.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2024 at 9:46 AM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Horrific story amigo.  Sorry your family is grieving this loss.  My wife is still not ready but she’s breaking down a bit.  Sometime next year she’ll want to rescue a couple.  

she sends me these videos of weenie dogs.  Seems like folks that have them have six or seven dachshunds, at least on you tube.

On 9/5/2024 at 8:34 PM, austingirl said:

Tempted. Been thinking about getting a dog. 

Not sure I can do a lab puppy right now though. He looks both very sweet and very ready to fuck shit up.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Sounds perfect for you. ❤️

Me and the dog after two weeks:

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bumping this from 6 years ago because we said goodbye to her today. 

Began limping out of nowhere yesterday while her brother was at the vet, and the leg was very swollen and hard. Vet said likely cancer.  So just like that, she’s gone. 

And if I’m honest, I suspect we will lose her brother too by the end of the year. 

Today is a sad day. 

God damn man, so sorry. 

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Bumping this from 6 years ago because we said goodbye to her today. 

Began limping out of nowhere yesterday while her brother was at the vet, and the leg was very swollen and hard. Vet said likely cancer.  So just like that, she’s gone. 

And if I’m honest, I suspect we will lose her brother too by the end of the year. 

Today is a sad day. 

I’m so sorry. Peace and love❤️

• Like 1