Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

On 9/10/2024 at 6:04 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Bumping this from 6 years ago because we said goodbye to her today. 

Began limping out of nowhere yesterday while her brother was at the vet, and the leg was very swollen and hard. Vet said likely cancer.  So just like that, she’s gone. 

And if I’m honest, I suspect we will lose her brother too by the end of the year. 

Today is a sad day. 

Sorry brother.  Love them up.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2024 at 12:02 AM, mchookem said:

Duke is ready to roll! he's such a celebrity, turns heads everywhere we go 😎 taking it easy around the neighborhood for now, need to see about getting him a little helmet i think for more adventurous rides20240908_172341.thumb.jpg.bfa1dc72fb77754a06d743ef7abb52d2.jpg20240908_172343.thumb.jpg.3f4248390a1bb3c37093d2b39de88a37.jpg

had another date with his girlfriend Moxie...

20240912_192314.thumb.jpg.bb493265e285fcc789dfc84b2a7f07a6.jpg he's starting to try and flex his 'manliness' with her lol. he's bigger (exact same age) but she's way more hyper! neither are fixed yet, we def have to start chaperoning closely the next 6 months 😆

20240912_193543.thumb.jpg.29423a8616faff0ee32ab278cd6181f9.jpg20240912_185654.thumb.jpg.3bfe6ffa24eeaa1b1ca91ba3aa5ee50f.jpg

20240913_181143.thumb.jpg.d5275ebe5fa29cd0ea1d4945e57c2b3c.jpg 

Get him one of these. image.jpeg.ddc9ee26f3e15f977d59cbb01bb41243.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well here I am again to bring the sads.  Life can be cruel. “By the end of the year” turned out to be 8 days later. He wasn’t responding well to the medicine and we weren’t going to selfishly let him suffer just because we lost one so recently. Now they’re together forever. 

IMG_2720.thumb.jpeg.bf8a0f378a2ac37b79d2df0a25549f3f.jpeg

They were good dogs. 

This happened to my in law’s labs a decade ago or so. One of them went and the other followed right behind, so they could be together. I choose to believe it is a choice by the second one. Best friends together forever. Sorry for your loss. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

The Yen and the Yang of Pato and Gorilla's posts essentially back to back perfectly illustrate why this thread is both one of my favorite and one of my least favorite on this site.  Sorry Pato.

Appreciate it. I’m fresh out of dogs to euthanize, so you wont get anymore yang from me.   We will see how long before I’m posting new family member pics. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2024 at 1:38 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Appreciate it. I’m fresh out of dogs to euthanize, so you wont get anymore yang from me.   We will see how long before I’m posting new family member pics. 

I’m so sorry. 🤘peace and love. 

On 9/18/2024 at 7:58 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Well here I am again to bring the sads.  Life can be cruel. “By the end of the year” turned out to be 8 days later. He wasn’t responding well to the medicine and we weren’t going to selfishly let him suffer just because we lost one so recently. Now they’re together forever. 

IMG_2720.thumb.jpeg.bf8a0f378a2ac37b79d2df0a25549f3f.jpeg

They were good dogs. 

I'm so sorry.

My dog has just turned 15 and is having problems with arthritis in his back hips. Poor boy was falling down. I put him on some arthritis chews, got him a back brace for his hips, and bought him a big barker orthopedic dog bed. It's been about 3 weeks on all of this at once, and he's been acting like he's years younger again, almost like a puppy. He's so frisky and full of energy, before he was limping when he'd walk. I decided when I got the bed that it was time to retire tennis balls from his play time, because I think the full pump running he and jumping he does after the tennis balls would probably make things worse, so we've settled on light tug-of-war with the rope as his playtime activity, along with bi-daily short walks instead of the long walks he's done his whole life. Been trying to strengthen his back leg muscles with frequent short walks to help him deal with falling down. It's been going well overall, hopefully I can prevent any further joint damage.

I'm looking into a place around Houston that will let my dog swim, like a pet friendly pool. I know pool exercise is good for people and pets with arthritis, and I'd love to get him some time to soak and get the pressure off. I found a dog pool that is small for like $50, but i'd prefer an actual installed pool or lake or something he could swim in that would go above his hips. Anybody know if places like that exist in houston?

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I'm looking into a place around Houston that will let my dog swim, like a pet friendly pool. I know pool exercise is good for people and pets with arthritis, and I'd love to get him some time to soak and get the pressure off. I found a dog pool that is small for like $50, but i'd prefer an actual installed pool or lake or something he could swim in that would go above his hips. Anybody know if places like that exist in houston?

There’s a woman in the Heights that has a pool where she teaches dog swimming lessons and dock diving, but she’s really pricey. You could also consider some rehab to help your pup. My dog responded really well to cold laser therapy on his neck. My vet’s office also has a full rehab department including an underwater treadmill.

10 minutes ago, royiv said:

There’s a woman in the Heights that has a pool where she teaches dog swimming lessons and dock diving, but she’s really pricey. You could also consider some rehab to help your pup. My dog responded really well to cold laser therapy on his neck. My vet’s office also has a full rehab department including an underwater treadmill.

Cost is a very big issue for me, I'm going through a lot of medical stuff for myself at the moment. It needs to be very affordable. Worst case scenario I'll just grab that $50 pool I saw.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Starting to think about the future.  Anyone here have or had a springer spaniel?  Would not be a bird dog, just a family member.  There is a rescue org for them and that’s where we would likely engage. 

Please post pictures if you get one. I really wanted one when I was young. 

@Pato del Muerto They are a nice sized dog at around 40-50 lbs. Have you ever had a cocker spaniel because there is some similarity. Only cockers are smaller with longer coats.  They can be prone to ear infections also but that can be easily prevented with an ear wash  you can get at the vet. Most Spaniel breeds are prey motivated, meaning they are great at playing fetch. But they are great chillaxers too, provided that you give them enough exercise. Bad behaviors will arise from the lack of it, that may include furniture chewing or barking a lot.

The thing that most spaniels will tend to do is follow you around, they don't like being away from humans for long. That makes them great family dogs, because they don't fixate on one person, like Chihuauas. They pretty much just want to be in the same room where they can see you. Some might find that clingy, so keep that in mind. 

Springers have a double coat, so there is shedding, but nothing that vacuuming can't handle.  Also, the damn stickers that get on my girl's ears and legs are a pain to brush out. I use a cat brush to brush the little burrs out but a lot of the time, I have to cut them out with scissors. The bigger stickers brush out easily.  I brush her out quite often but probably not as much as I should. I have her groomed in a Cocker Cut, where the back is close cut and she wears a skirt. I think Springers have shorter fur so there is probably no need to shave them this way. 

I think their temperaments are good and Springers are bigger and more athletic than Cockers. So probably better behaved if you make sure to give them proper exercise. They are a very pretty breed for sure.