Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Starting to think about the future.  Anyone here have or had a springer spaniel?  Would not be a bird dog, just a family member.  There is a rescue org for them and that’s where we would likely engage. 

Had a neighbor with one, really good natured dog that loved to play and was very athletic.  Went up an oak tree about 10 feet and snatched a squirrel right off.  It was hilarious and kind of awful, poor squirrel never had a chance.  Looked like a show dog after he would get groomed.  Good doggo.

Oh, I forgot to mention that their longevity is very good, 12 years or so. 
My cocker mix girl is 14 and doing very well. She did have spleen cancer 2 years ago, but removing the spleen got rid of it. She is very spry still, able to jump up on the bed. She is stubborn and won't let me set her down on the floor as I would prefer so I have a shorter bench and rug by the foot of the bed so she has a softer landing. The chihuahua mix uses the stairs but she won't.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

... The chihuahua mix uses the stairs but she won't.

I got stairs for Bailey because of her back/hips, she doesn't jump very well anymore.  Of course the refuses to use them but the cat thinks they are an awesome perch.  Damn things weren't cheap, either.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If you go poking around the internet for dogs available for adoption, don’t be surprised if you can’t resist one. 

My current dog I got by complete accident and love him so much. I was going to buy a chocolate lab from a woman, but when I got there she had already sold the one I wanted. I was driving home, kinda pissed off, when I saw a person in a parking lot selling puppies, just straight mutts on the side of the road. I stopped and this little white puppy immediately stole my heart, he was 8 weeks old and small enough to fit in my hand. 15 years later he's still my best friend and I love him dearly. Best dog I've ever had and he was nothing fancy. I'm even pretty sure he was the runt. If you go looking for dogs, you'll get one.

I know my old boy is at the end of his life and it crushes me. I've already made up my mind that when he passes, I'm going to get another dog immediately. I had a friend whose father lost a couple of dogs on the same day when we were in highschool, and went out the same day and bought a new puppy to deal with the grief. Not as a replacement, but rather because he always heard about how they'd bring puppies in to cheer up sick kids in hospitals and figured it could probably work for him too. And it did, he bonded with the puppy right away over helping him with his grief, which seems special to me. I know I'm going to be devastated when my dog passes so I've been thinking about what sort of dog I want next. A mutt I have no problem with, mutts are awesome, but I think i might like to get a dog with papers this time. Aussie Shepherds are fucking gorgeous dogs and I'd love one, but I don't know if I have the energy over now that I'm over the hill to keep running them like I'm supposed to. I've always loved labs, I think they're my favorite breed, but I've had those before. Maybe a golden retriever would be fun to have, I've always wanted one of those.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It was Sebastian’s 3rd birthday today (it seems like just yesterday that he was a tiny little pup) so I made some dog cupcakes and we went to the park and had a party with his friends. I think he’s still embarrassed about the hat.

6E0165E4-3315-469E-A438-5803600174FD.jpeg

4F2A6745-6352-447F-9037-53655A90C99B.jpeg

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2024 at 7:45 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

If you go poking around the internet for dogs available for adoption, don’t be surprised if you can’t resist one. 

On 9/22/2024 at 9:46 PM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I know I'm going to be devastated when my dog passes so I've been thinking about what sort of dog I want next. A mutt I have no problem with, mutts are awesome, but I think i might like to get a dog with papers this time. Aussie Shepherds are fucking gorgeous dogs and I'd love one, but I don't know if I have the energy over now that I'm over the hill to keep running them like I'm supposed to. I've always loved labs, I think they're my favorite breed, but I've had those before. Maybe a golden retriever would be fun to have, I've always wanted one of those.

Yep that's how I wound up with Trixie. We did a big time remodel and it was always kind of in the back of my head that I would get another dog this summer when the project was done. In the immediate aftermath though I was cash strapped and exhausted, plus we had a 10 day family vacation coming in July. 

To the other point re breed, my last dog was a beautiful Greater Swiss with papers. I kind of wanted to get another Swissy, but now was not the time to drop 3k on a dog.

I've always been intrigued with Anatolians and I made the mistake of looking at Petfinder one night on my phone. I love large breeds, and I saw about 75 miles away there was a litter of rescue Anatolian/mastiff mixes. Sent an email, and 3 weeks later... You know the rest. 

PXL_20240829_150837384_MP.thumb.jpg.04e53bb1df15bc46939f8d415c5f3449.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Yep that's how I wound up with Trixie. We did a big time remodel and it was always kind of in the back of my head that I would get another dog this summer when the project was done. In the immediate aftermath though I was cash strapped and exhausted, plus we had a 10 day family vacation coming in July. 

To the other point re breed, my last dog was a beautiful Greater Swiss with papers. I kind of wanted to get another Swissy, but now was not the time to drop 3k on a dog.

I've always been intrigued with Anatolians and I made the mistake of looking at Petfinder one night on my phone. I love large breeds, and I saw about 75 miles away there was a litter of rescue Anatolian/mastiff mixes. Sent an email, and 3 weeks later... You know the rest. 

PXL_20240829_150837384_MP.thumb.jpg.04e53bb1df15bc46939f8d415c5f3449.jpg

I found a breed called the Appenzeller sennehund that is a little smaller cousin of a Bernese mountain dog. But as a rare breed, they are outrageously priced, though there was a breeder listed in British Columbia. 

Anyway, headed over to couer d’laine next Saturday to collect the new pup. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I found a breed called the Appenzeller sennehund that is a little smaller cousin of a Bernese mountain dog. But as a rare breed, they are outrageously priced, though there was a breeder listed in British Columbia. 

Anyway, headed over to couer d’laine next Saturday to collect the new pup. 

Excellent! If they're anything like their big cousins, you will have a great friend that follows you around like a baby duckling for the next decade plus. Congrats on the addition. 

Charlie. RIP 2016ishCharlie_1.thumb.jpg.1e296dbd74dc9f7071d2037e6843fa5e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

Excellent! If they're anything like their big cousins, you will have a great friend that follows you around like a baby duckling for the next decade plus. Congrats on the addition. 

Charlie. RIP 2016ishCharlie_1.thumb.jpg.1e296dbd74dc9f7071d2037e6843fa5e.jpg

Oh no. They are 5 figure dogs. Our new guy is a springer. 

• Like 1