Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

17 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Last night Mrs. HornOnTheBayou was giving me the "Hey come to bed" eyes since it was getting late and I was leaving town for a week. I let the dogs out for one more piss thinking about what was awaiting me in the bedroom.

But Edgar had different plans. He decided to get sprayed by a skunk and then run into the house.

Obviously, chaos insued. More obviously, nothing happened in the bedroom afterwards. 

But he feels bad. 

IMG_0056.jpg

So there was no horny on the bayou?

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm getting a dog yall! So excited. I got my last pup in '05, passed away in '16 and have been too busy to breathe since. I have questions. She is 8 weeks old at current, I'll be bringing her home next week. Mixed breed, mom is an Anatolian, pops a mastiff. Rescue. She is going to be a big girl. 

Crate train? Should I get a big ass crate or start with a smaller one and then upsize later?

Food? Do I want to do something like Hello Fresh? I do not want to make my own unless it's super easy. 

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 6/24/2024 at 8:41 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Last night Mrs. HornOnTheBayou was giving me the "Hey come to bed" eyes since it was getting late and I was leaving town for a week. I let the dogs out for one more piss thinking about what was awaiting me in the bedroom.

But Edgar had different plans. He decided to get sprayed by a skunk and then run into the house.

Obviously, chaos insued. More obviously, nothing happened in the bedroom afterwards. 

But he feels bad. 

IMG_0056.jpg

8 hours ago, TOR said:

So there was no horny on the bayou?

The house still has a whiff of skunk and it's been two days. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm getting a dog yall! So excited. I got my last pup in '05, passed away in '16 and have been too busy to breathe since. I have questions. She is 8 weeks old at current, I'll be bringing her home next week. Mixed breed, mom is an Anatolian, pops a mastiff. Rescue. She is going to be a big girl. 
Crate train? Should I get a big ass crate or start with a smaller one and then upsize later?
Food? Do I want to do something like Hello Fresh? I do not want to make my own unless it's super easy. 

Good for you. Why obsess over food? Dog food didn’t exist nor 99% of the millenia humans have had dogs. Dogs ate what we ate when I was a kid.

Good for you. Why obsess over food? Dog food didn’t exist nor 99% of the millenia humans have had dogs. Dogs ate what we ate when I was a kid.

We had several big dogs growing up that ate nothing but Ol' Roy. They all lived into their teens. 

They all also lived exclusively outside and slept in the garage. We had a hidden doggy door that went from the back corner of the garage to our back porch and was obscured by a garden table. The only time they came inside was if it was freezing or super hot, or if there were fireworks going off. This blows my wife's mind who only grew up with inside pets. 

Biscuit is a spoiled ass bitch. He won't eat anything but FreshPet. Luckily he's 16 lbs so it costs us like 10 bucks a week. 

I cook fresh food for my dogs and mix it in with dry dog food.

I rotate between chicken thighs, pork butt and anything cheap I find for meat, sweet potatoes and rice for starch, and add chicken hearts or gizzards about once a month and then add scrambled eggs and frozen peas and carrots. Costs around $20 a week, right around the cost of dry dog food from costco. I'd do full fresh but there are vitamins they'd miss and it's cheaper to just mix in the dry food than buying the different vitamins and minerals they need.

I always assumed wolves just ate meat, but they get many nutrients from eating the intestines of the animals they eat. Those are the things that are added to commercial dog food that are missing from the fresh food I make.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, blacklab said:

I cook fresh food for my dogs and mix it in with dry dog food.

I rotate between chicken thighs, pork butt and anything cheap I find for meat, sweet potatoes and rice for starch, and add chicken hearts or gizzards about once a month and then add scrambled eggs and frozen peas and carrots. Costs around $20 a week, right around the cost of dry dog food from costco. I'd do full fresh but there are vitamins they'd miss and it's cheaper to just mix in the dry food than buying the different vitamins and minerals they need.

I always assumed wolves just ate meat, but they get many nutrients from eating the intestines of the animals they eat. Those are the things that are added to commercial dog food that are missing from the fresh food I make.

How many dogs and what size? I've got 3 dogs with an average weight of 65 lbs and feeding them a dry/fresh mix would easily be $45/week.

I have 2.  100 pound lab/german shepard mix and a 60 pound black mouth cur.

1/2 cup costco food, 1 cup fresh twice a day

Last batch was

1 pkg heb chicken boneless chicken thighs - $8
2 cups rice - $.25
1 egg - $.30
1 cup froze peas and carrots - $.25
total - $9

will last 4-5 days

40 pound bag Kirkland Signature Adult Formula Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Dog Food,  - $49.99 
bought bag around May 20th, going to get a new bag next week, so ~6 weeks

so 9/4 * 7 = $15.75 a week for the fresh, $9 a week for dry =~ $25 a week to feed them

when we did all dry the bag would last around 2-3 weeks depending on who was feeding them and how many times the dogs tricked my wife into thinking they hadn't been fed so $17-$25 per week

• Hook 'Em 2

y'all remember Maggie, my mom's mini dachshund i inherited? 

20210617_223734.thumb.jpg.aa426e6f2499d43e2bd13b3c97afe855.jpg20210505_145308.thumb.jpg.afd57b016c0742cca91514e656b535e8.jpg

and how much i wanted one of my own?

well...

meet Duke 😊

Screenshot_20240629_224240_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c8865d7301b7b3dbe883b2bb218e65e5.jpg64872.thumb.jpeg.8b5c1128b6fa6057844e43c50df4fe56.jpeg20240629_192726.thumb.jpg.795a3e6e6171737bbcfb8354f83572d2.jpg

picked him up today! 🥰

he got his first parvo shot this morning before i got him so he's been feeling a little lethargic most of today, but he finally woke up about an hour ago in the mood to play a little and grab a bite to eat. 

i'm sure i'll be sharing lots of way better pictures in the future...but it's been two years since we last had a dog, we had to put Maggie down just a couple months before we moved to CO in 2022...

i realized a few months ago that it's literally been the longest period in my entire life without an animal. 

not anymore ❤️20240629_223027.thumb.jpg.539f48f0a4d9e796c8eb064d075e38b4.jpg

20240629_221220.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3