Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

31 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

It's not going very well with the crate and potty training. Pooped in the crate in protest and got it smeared everywhere. She has no clue I don't think that she shouldn't want to shit where she sleeps/eats and should not want to step in it. Refused to go outside. I'm doing the right things but she is coming from a situation where she was in a pen with her litter mates big chunks of the day and night with pee pads and she probably went wherever and whenever she wanted. I can't leave her alone and I'm home by myself for the next 4-5 days. I don't want to reinforce bad behavior but I guess we're sleeping in the penned off family room tonight. 

How big is the crate?

Are you feeding on a schedule and allowing a ton of time for digestion after dinner?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

How big is the crate?

Are you feeding on a schedule and allowing a ton of time for digestion after dinner?

The crate is partitioned to be small. She does not care. She pissed in it again after having lots of opportunity to go outside and not doing so. She was just stirring so I took her out and cleaned the crate. Nothing. Back in the crate and she shit again in there. Cleaned it out and back into the crate. Sucks but at this point I think I have to make her power through. I can't really leave her loose because not only will she continue to go to the bathroom but she will also chew and get into other trouble. I'm not sure how she has anything left inside her belly at this point. Last drink was about 4 hours ago and she's peed 3x since, twice on the carpet and once in the crate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

The crate is partitioned to be small. She does not care. She pissed in it again after having lots of opportunity to go outside and not doing so. She was just stirring so I took her out and cleaned the crate. Nothing. Back in the crate and she shit again in there. Cleaned it out and back into the crate. Sucks but at this point I think I have to make her power through. I can't really leave her loose because not only will she continue to go to the bathroom but she will also chew and get into other trouble. I'm not sure how she has anything left inside her belly at this point. Last drink was about 4 hours ago and she's peed 3x since, twice on the carpet and once in the crate. 

ah, puppehs.  Have fun!

From my experience, puppies go outside every single time I think about it. Don't want to go outside? Then I will carry your ass out. It just has to be driven into some of them by giving them every opportunity to take care of business outside. With puppies I also took up the water an hour or so before bedtime, or if I was putting them in the kennel before leaving. Some are just more clever than others at that age, and she probably did pick up some bad potty habits. Pad training is not good IMO because they learn it's ok to go inside. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from vet appt. She thinks doggo was just freaked out. She has been much better since. No accidents and I've been diligent about crate -> outside. I got some rest in two hour spurts. She cries a bit after I crate her but then calms down and goes to sleep until she sees or hears me. Vet also told me to scrap the 3x feeding schedule with the 10 pm feeding. Definitely. I did also move the crate divider in a bit last night which couldn't have hurt. 🤞 for tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well, 36 hours and 3 doses of Apoquel later, and there's a very noticeable difference in Biscuit's skin tone. I'm honestly pretty upset with myself that we didn't do this earlier. 

Any recs on where to get it for cheap? It's 100 bucks for a month's worth at the vet. We found out that CostCo has the same for about $60. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Just got back from vet appt. She thinks doggo was just freaked out. She has been much better since. No accidents and I've been diligent about crate -> outside. I got some rest in two hour spurts. She cries a bit after I crate her but then calms down and goes to sleep until she sees or hears me. Vet also told me to scrap the 3x feeding schedule with the 10 pm feeding. Definitely. I did also move the crate divider in a bit last night which couldn't have hurt. 🤞 for tonight. 

10pm?  I think we identified problem 1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deej said:

Get that pup one of those soft toys that has the "beating heart" in it. It has worked with every pup I've ever been around to fix the crate anxiety. 

Just did a quick search on Amazon and Google. They look very... plush. I suspect she would tear that thing to shreds in there. I don't see any tough/durable options unless anyone knows of one?

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

They tend not to do so. It's a sound they're used to from sleeping with their litermates and they don't tear them up. It's worth a shot. 

They usually sleep curled up with them. 

Eh what can it hurt. Sold. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks. 18 lbs 13 oz at weigh in. I don't know what I was expecting but not that. I had myself convinced earlier she probably had some pit mix in her and would top out around 65 lbs. 

@Deej resting with the snuggle puppy. Amazon is something else. Not sure I'm ready to leave it in there unsupervised just yet. 

Successful night. No crate accidents. Hoping we are getting into the groove and night 1 was an aberration. No issues with it sounding like Gaza outside during bathroom breaks, either. 

PXL_20240704_134006579.thumb.jpg.edacd75754245c5f062c05cb41aa8ac3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Making amazing progress with training and temperament. She’s very smart and loving and eager to please.

oh and she sleeps like a corpse. No issues with crate and she knows to go in when it’s bedtime. 

today she will play with the dogs at the farm and get a bath afterward. Everyone make sure you have a fireworks plan for your doggo. I’ve rescued a couple pups over the years that were 4th of July runaways. 

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

@Deej resting with the snuggle puppy. Amazon is something else. Not sure I'm ready to leave it in there unsupervised just yet. 

Successful night. No crate accidents. Hoping we are getting into the groove and night 1 was an aberration. No issues with it sounding like Gaza outside during bathroom breaks, either. 

PXL_20240704_134006579.thumb.jpg.edacd75754245c5f062c05cb41aa8ac3.jpg

Get a pad and blankets in there. My pups use their crate as a nap pod.

• Hook 'Em 1