Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

c6615de268e444077cdb76b3ac389102.jpg
While we’re getting nostalgic this is the best dog we ever had. We got him when he was 6 and lost him at 17. Buddy the Jack Russell. Headstrong demanding and smarter than most people. But he bonded to my wife and rarely left her side. A good boy that I’ve missed for 8 years now.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

This is the second pic of late where a dog has a ball, not playing, just hanging with it. Reminded me of our now gone crazed Boston Terrier, named Maybe (long stupid story). She always had a ball, from the time she woke til sleeping on our bed. For some reason she wouldn't bring it in, just left it on the floor before jumping up.

Anyway, for awhile, the google street view of our house showed her standing up looking out a window and there on the window sill was her tennis ball. I rue the day I didn't take a screenshot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Trixie figured out how to go down the steps to the basement and up the steps to the upstairs today. This is going to pose additional challenges but damn if it wasn't cute. Also the rescue sent all of the litter mates a group text and she is definitely the runt. Her two brothers are 38 and 45 lbs at about 14 weeks, her sister was at 30 2 weeks ago. We have a vet appointment in the AM but I'm guessing Trix is around 30 lbs. These are some big pups. Hopefully going to have a playdate soon. PXL_20240803_125637517_MP.thumb.jpg.378499bf175903a884eab9fc8ec8a62f.jpg

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Biscuit's best bud Captain was with us for 2 weeks while my SIL and her family went on a road trip. They played bitey face nonstop for that whole time. This is about 30 min after Captain went home. 

20240804_220401.thumb.jpg.9bd68a0e4870015bcd301dfca8e68c95.jpg

You can see his skin is still a bit red from the grass allergy but the Apoquel has worked wonders. His black spots are coming back - we thought they were gone because they were just puppy spots but lo and behold they are showing up again because he's not gnawing his legs and belly anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Fuga said:

This is the second pic of late where a dog has a ball, not playing, just hanging with it. Reminded me of our now gone crazed Boston Terrier, named Maybe (long stupid story). She always had a ball, from the time she woke til sleeping on our bed. For some reason she wouldn't bring it in, just left it on the floor before jumping up.

Anyway, for awhile, the google street view of our house showed her standing up looking out a window and there on the window sill was her tennis ball. I rue the day I didn't take a screenshot.

in street view if you look at the top left black box there is a link "see more dates". Click there and you can see previous versions of the street view. Your dog may be in one of the previous. My dogs at the old house are in a couple of them

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fuga said:

Yep, that's how Rocket was. Sometimes I tried to play fetch with him, but when I threw the ball he would just get this mad/confused face like he was hurt I was throwing his toy away.

Stop Trying to Make Fetch Happen…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/5/2024 at 12:17 AM, blacklab said:

in street view if you look at the top left black box there is a link "see more dates". Click there and you can see previous versions of the street view. Your dog may be in one of the previous. My dogs at the old house are in a couple of them

Aw, man. Got me all hopped up. Found it from 2013. Trouble is zooming in is a blurry mess. Now to find the screenshot my daughter texted me back in the day which was clear.

Nice tip, blacklab.

• Hook 'Em 1

RIP Granddog Toby - faithful & fierce protector of my granddaughter for the past 11 years - he crossed over that Rainbow Bridge this afternoon after fighting lymphoma for the past year and a half. 
He was a very good dog.

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.a5123b2bf7a58416c93ae7da954b3a97.jpeg
139IMG_0715.thumb.jpeg.6dd2bf2a7c2a6f535f54c6f79475f797.jpeg

AB so sorry for your family’s loss. Hurts awful but he’s not suffering. Grieve but celebrate the joy he brought to everyone.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Putting up the surly signal for some help with a really sweet dog that needs a home. a little background:

Stella was adopted out of the Bastrop county Animal Shelter in December of last year (believe she was 2-3 months old). She joined our other farm dog, Shiner, out at my folks place/farm. Very cute puppy phase, excitable and a bit hard to train, but very sweet and loving (gentle and great with my two young kids). 

however, over the past several months, she has made it a point to target and kill chickens and geese. Not sure if this is just a predator drive situation, but typically she just mauls them and plays with the corpse. We’ve had chickens taken by yotes before, this is clearly different.  In addition, she’s taken to digging pretty large holes in and around the house which creates trip/fall hazards for my folks. 

the dogs have a comfortable dog run where they can chill while the birds are out during the day, but when they are let out at night/evening Stella goes ape and will dig/fuck with the chickens/etc  

the net of this is my folks have asked my help in finding a new, good fit of a home for this dog. She is very loving, active and I think could take training well (originally this dog was intended as a “gift” for my sister, but she hasn’t really made the effort to get this pup settled down a bit). I actually think she would do well in a home with a yard, as long as she gets the attention/walks that a high energy dog like this needs.

This is not an aggressive or “problem” dog. I just think some dogs don’t work as farm dogs, and she just happens to be one of them. She’s about 45-50 lbs, and I don’t think she will get too much bigger.   No idea on her breed mix, but she’s a gorgeous pup. 

anyway, any help/advice yall could offer would be wonderful.  This is pretty difficult for me as I can help but love her very much. Photo bomb for attention. 

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

IMG_7817.jpeg

IMG_7957.jpeg

IMG_7824.jpeg

IMG_8532.jpeg

IMG_8602.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

IMG_8841.jpeg

IMG_8178.jpeg

IMG_7799.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, royiv said:

Stop and get a pedicure on the way to the beach.

Haha…no. I lost my toenail clipper and since I am terrible at buying things I need I attempted using the nail clipper I use for Heiani and Aliyanah. Thank God I didn’t completely destroy a toenail trying to use it.

18 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Haha…no. I lost my toenail clipper and since I am terrible at buying things I need I attempted using the nail clipper I use for Heiani and Aliyanah. Thank God I didn’t completely destroy a toenail trying to use it.

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Yep pretty sure. This is New York. That nail length barely registers with what I see from some of the men walking around here. Still a bit odd seeing grown men focus on another man’s feet though. Rex Ryan would be proud of you I guess.

Shot in the dark: do y'all know anyone in the Austin area who might want to foster a sweet lab mix? My friends are in the Mueller area and found him wondering the road this weekend. After calling a ton of shelters (AHS told her January), posting EVERY place possible, checking for chip...they're getting no leads. He's goofy and adorable but we're struggling with their two other dogs being assholes. They have a week long foster lined up but are in a pickle after that. 

He's not fixed, but has done great with kids, is very gentle and interested in their dogs--the problem is definitely her dogs being jerks. She says he's doing well with crate training. He seems young but we can't tell exactly what age. 

image.thumb.png.3da3abe9a2e43069c9bbb5713d8d5233.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Having a bonding weekend with Trixers. Wife and kids are away. I'm still not to the point yet where I can trust her much if I leave the room even for a minute without crating her. She is so big it is hard to remember she's still so young. Reminds me of my 14 yo who is equally immature just 5'11 with a Barry White voice. 😂

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Inside the Mind of a Dog is a pretty good doc on Netflix. Good glimpse into service dog training. 

Puppy Kindergarten at Duke University is pretty interesting. 

My wife will watch nothing with a dog in it if she believes it’s gotta dog gonna die. I can’t even say the words Ol’ Yeller. The mind show isn’t listed in DDD yet. So does a dog die in it? She believes it might have dogs suffering in a research lab.

On the other hand she could watch a movie with a human being tortured and fed into a meat grinder without an issue.

7 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

My wife will watch nothing with a dog in it if she believes it’s gotta dog gonna die. I can’t even say the words Ol’ Yeller. The mind show isn’t listed in DDD yet. So does a dog die in it? She believes it might have dogs suffering in a research lab.

On the other hand she could watch a movie with a human being tortured and fed into a meat grinder without an issue.

It’s safe. 90 minutes of why dogs are awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

It’s fantastic. My wife cried happy tears.

On 8/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Inside the Mind of a Dog is a pretty good doc on Netflix. Good glimpse into service dog training. 

Puppy Kindergarten at Duke University is pretty interesting. 

On 8/17/2024 at 4:54 AM, Texzilla588 said:

On 8/17/2024 at 7:32 AM, Deej said:

She's safe, unless she finds behavioral resesearch traumatizing. 

I watched it with Sebastian tonight and we both found It fascinating, even dusty at times.

IMG_0043.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s fantastic. My wife cried happy tears.

Shegets sensitive about dogs. We had a cairn terrier years ago that she still feels guilty about letting her sneak a pack of Oreos from her purse when she was 9, thereby shortening her life. The dog lived to nearly 18.