Sheila Jackson Lee is terrible at this job

atomheartbevo

Well I never had her as a rep so I cannot be as detailed as others about her. Cancer absolutely sucks and that is not a fun way to go. At least it was quick with no prolonged suffering. My mother is the same age and she has battled cancer for 10 plus years now.

My only time seeing her in person was August 2020 at the March on Washington. She was the hardest speaker to follow because she was all over the map. At least she was there though. That was such a hot and humid day so credit to her for being there during the pandemic when things were still such a mess.

Not even allowed to say anything remotely nice about someone in the other party if you’re a Republican. That’s how insane they’ve become 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Lina is young and has a lot of options in front of her. Don’t think this is the race for her. Amanda all the way 

lifestyle upgrade and puts her on the national map

better benefits and she already has national backing 

Amanda isn’t known outside her neighborhood 

it’ll be a competitive Dem primary, do the R’s even run someone ?

how soon does Abbott have to call For a special election ?

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Not even allowed to say anything remotely nice about someone in the other party if you’re a Republican. That’s how insane they’ve become 

I don't know if you checked in on the ol' Lou Dobbs thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 SJL stories

One of the campuses I started teaching college at is in SJL’s district. If she showed up on campus, we had to be there. Well one day, we got an email that she was coming there to hold a press conference (which was legit because it was for some workforce program we had just started and she helped with the partnership). We were told she would be there at 3:30pm so I went to the gym after teaching, went to grab some coffee, and came on back to campus. She didn’t walk in until 5:52pm and proceeded to talk for 2 hours. I was so mad. 

Second story—a friend who was on the UT Speech Team with me felt as though his gay profile wasn’t high enough for certain crowds (he owns a successful business but is super weird about being a Houston A-list gay [his words]). So what does he proceed to do to help him with this goal? He runs for congress—in SJL’s district. A sliver of her district is in Midtown which is where he lives. Well a bunch of us were at a game night where he proceeds to tell me this because I’m the only one in the group who didn’t know. My first question was “why” then I asked “what is your plan?” His plan was to target just the folks who lived in Midtown. So I asked him “wait, you don’t plan to do town halls or canvass in the main area of that district which is Acres Homes where, you know, the majority of her prime constituents live—hint hint?” And of course he said no. He lost—bigly.

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Since SJL already won the primary, I think the party gets to pick her replacement on the general ballot

Wiki …

Upon the death of a member of the United States House of Representatives, a special election is held to pick a successor.

The most recent member of the U.S. Congress to die in office was Representative Sheila Jackson Lee of the 18th Congressional District of Texas July 19, 2024 of pancreatic cancer. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/07/20/sheila-jackson-lee-congressional-seat/

Very tricky. Abbott wants to help the R on the ballot as much as possible 

Edited by tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Second story—a friend who was on the UT Speech Team with me felt as though his gay profile wasn’t high enough for certain crowds (he owns a successful business but is super weird about being a Houston A-list gay [his words]). So what does he proceed to do to help him with this goal? He runs for congress—in SJL’s district. A sliver of her district is in Midtown which is where he lives. Well a bunch of us were at a game night where he proceeds to tell me this because I’m the only one in the group who didn’t know. My first question was “why” then I asked “what is your plan?” His plan was to target just the folks who lived in Midtown. So I asked him “wait, you don’t plan to do town halls or canvass in the main area of that district which is Acres Homes where, you know, the majority of her prime constituents live—hint hint?” And of course he said no. He lost—bigly.

Is your friend an optometrist?

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Since SJL already won the primary, I think the party gets to pick her replacement on the general ballot

Dunn said that while “Sheila Jackson Lee can’t be replaced,” the county will hold a meeting at least 10 days out to select a new candidate.

That meeting will include the Harris County Democratic Party’s executive committee, which by Texas law has until 5 p.m. on Aug. 26 to nominate someone. The committee is made of Harris County precinct chairs — elected officials representing districts within the county. There are currently around 130 precinct chairs in Harris County.

During the committee’s selection process, potential candidates will make their case to the precinct chairs, explaining their positions and priorities. Dunn said that while the decision is made by the precinct chairs, it is still a “very democratic process” as the meetings are public and precinct chairs are “the smallest unit of representative government we have.”

The committee is allowed to pick anyone for the nomination, even if they don’t live in the district.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:49 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The special election, if one is called, would only be for the remainder of her term, so basically about 5 months.

When Ron Wright died on February 7, Abbott called for a special on February 23. It was held on May 1. 

I doubt Abbott gives one iota of shit about TX-18, so if he even calls one, maybe early September? 

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 12:39 AM, tx 3 putt said:

There are currently around 130 precinct chairs in Harris County.

There are way more than 130 precinct chairs in Harris county, at least 3 times that many.

Edited by Ted Lange

20 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

There are way more than 130 precinct chairs in Harris county, at least 3 times that many.

Might just be TX-18

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sylvester Turner was a grafting motherfucker in office who didn't do much other than have a D by his name. I'd prefer to not put that grifting old fuck into congress. 

He’s also 69. Can we fucking stop already with the dinosaurs 

• Hook 'Em 4

I wish we could change the title of this thread. I didn’t always agree with her but thought her support of the Safe Have Law and Juneteenth should at the very least give her a better thread title? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I wish we could change the title of this thread. I didn’t always agree with her but thought her support of the Safe Have Law and Juneteenth should at the very least give her a better thread title? 

Dying shouldn’t absolve someone of a lifetime of being a horrible person. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

‘was’

Posted (edited)

Wtf Turner. Going on about it considering it. Either run or don’t but he’s playing this like if he was thinking of a run for president.

He must be calling all of the other potentials and telling them how he will help them and their office/cause once he’s in the House.

as mentioned above, do we really need to elect someone well into retirement age just do they can stay until they die?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wtf Turner. Going on about it considering it. Either run or don’t but he’s playing this like if he was thinking of a run for president.

He must be calling all of the other potentials and telling them how he will help them and their office/cause once he’s in the House.

as mentioned above, do we really need to elect someone well into retirement age just do they can stay until they die?

Agree. I’m not a Turner hater, but he needs to sit this one out and get behind a younger candidate. I’d like to see these 70 and 80 year old politicians work to mentor and campaign for younger blood instead of having these delusions of grandeur that they, and only they, are the ones to lead constituents. The mark of a truly great leader is one who mentors younger leaders and gets out of the way to let the younger generation prosper. This past week should have opened Turner’s eyes to this, but instead he’s pulling this crap.

Ugh all the big names just came out for Turner. Fletcher, Lina, Hollins, Ellis, Kamin, a bunch of state reps 

An old grifter who also has cancer. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Precinct chairs narrowly chose Turner over Amanda Edwards to be their candidate tonight. He says he'll only serve one term. We'll see.

41-37. It was close 

No way he only serves 1. You can’t grift that much in 2 years 

Edited by Js1