Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I used to shop the Burnet location but moved and now mostly hit-up the Hancock location. While they both have their own issues, they dominate the fuck out of that Rundberg spot. That mad max parking lot is something else. I recently swung by because they had a hot sauce that was sold out everywhere else and was quickly  reminded of how much of a fucking dump it is.

Pro tip: Even if it's just for one item, order curbside. Nobody uses it at that location. 

Edited by Deej

What HEBs are absolute shitholes?  The worst I can think of in Austin are Hancock, Riverside and 35/William Cannon (Oltorf would have made the cut) and that's just because of clientelle, not the actual store.  Never seen bad produce at all, and I used to be an InstaCart shopper, so I've been to most of them in Austin.

You live a sheltered life

I was verrrrry familiar with parmer and mopac about 15 years ago. I just was there since the wall to wall remodel a month or so ago. Completely different store.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

No point in starting a central market thread, so HEB thread it is. For those that shop the N Lamar location, there's an item  they call "Chicken Enchiladas with a Tomatillo Cream Sauce" That deserves your attention. Most of their prepared foods are good, but not particularly cheap. But these enchiladas are the food that inflation forgot. Its basically chicken, cheese, some pinto beans and sauteed onions, in corn tortillas smothered in a tomatillo sauce. Its lacking heat, so I hit with some habanero hot sauce and shovel it in using those Matts el patio tortilla chips. 

The cost is $4.99, whereas they sell other enchiladas with rice and beans in the same sized container for like $10+. The strange thing is there is supposed to only be two enchiladas per container, but there are often a few containers with  3  enchiladas for the same price, which is a damn solid deal. Hell, even the packs with 2 is a filling meal once you account for those crack chips. 

image.thumb.png.fe54cd099e252f7619dd40003ba4ba3b.png

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Mansfield HEB opened last week. I was there for a doc appointment yesterday and went by. Fuck me the crowd was enormous and parking lot packed at 4pm. I bailed on the groceries but went to the barbecue drive thru.

I got a pound of fatty and half pound of lean brisket, pulled pork, burnt ends, a sausage link, and a few Texas torpedoes. Sides of collards, brisket pinto beans, slaw, creamed corn, Serrano corn bread.

Took it home and laid out a spread for wife and me. The stuffed jalapeños were excellent, some of the best I’ve had but they are $5 each.

Brisket was cooked perfectly. Lean was still moist, and fatty wasn’t overly so, both with heavy smoke, but the rub was way salty. Is that common ? Pulled pork was typical Texan, flavorful but greasy. I grew up in Memphis and want it like that with the fat rendered out. Burnt ends were solid and in the braised style. The sausage had a snappy casing but kinda bland. Collards were excellent with great pot likker. Slaw was pedestrian. Corn very good. Cornbread over baked. Beans were excellent and cooked down to creamy. Overall a solid B+ that I’d pick often if I still lived nearby as the only other option is Hurtado which would have cost an additional $80 bucks or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

Whoever suggested this was on point.  Easy to deal with, makes 4 small-medium philly cheesesteaks, beef tastes great.  I added 1/4 tsp salt per each 3.5 oz serving, which my son thought was a bit on the salty side, but I liked it.

Look at the ingredients list.  Game changer.  (Yeah, it's not ribeye.  Beggars can't be choosers.)

image.png.83e225e603d00649597aa37fa036982f.png

image.png.5a49e2331af2ebc0c2e6ee6122547682.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

OK, I went a little farther with the sirloin Philly cheesesteak, and I gotta say, 4 sammiches for what I'd pay for 1 sammich at Delaware or Little Deli or Way South Philly (RIP) is a home run.  Just as good, if not better than all but maybe Way South.  The bolillo rolls aren't totally authentic, but good luck getting Amoroso rolls in Austin.  Frozen "Fajita Vegetables" (red & green bell peppers + onions), provolone cheese.  This is a game changer, the family flipped over these.  (Apologies for the half-assed photo, the roll had started to split in half and I was needing to dive in.)

image.thumb.png.92bd7d4fa3146bfc5c1767befa7d2817.png

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, I went a little farther with the sirloin Philly cheesesteak, and I gotta say, 4 sammiches for what I'd pay for 1 sammich at Delaware or Little Deli or Way South Philly (RIP) is a home run.  Just as good, if not better than all but maybe Way South.  The bolillo rolls aren't totally authentic, but good luck getting Amoroso rolls in Austin.  Frozen "Fajita Vegetables" (red & green bell peppers + onions), provolone cheese.  This is a game changer, the family flipped over these.  (Apologies for the half-assed photo, the roll had started to split in half and I was needing to dive in.)

I follw a blackstone griddle page on FB and recently got a griddle insert for my grill, and philly cheesesteaks are probably top 3 things folks post pictures of making. That and smashburgers and fried rice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/15/2024 at 9:33 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I follw a blackstone griddle page on FB and recently got a griddle insert for my grill, and philly cheesesteaks are probably top 3 things folks post pictures of making. That and smashburgers and fried rice. 

Breakfast just taste different on a griddle. 

we sometimes make breakfast quesadillas with chorizo eggs and cheese as a solid breakfast on it. So damn good 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

HEB opened in Mansfield and I loaded up with all kinds of stuff.

Heb butter tortillas with heb queso with heb hatch breakfast sausageb582c69ae0eed7c3da24fcf9bfa0f472.jpg

It looks like someone shit on a tortilla. I’d still eat it 

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2024 at 10:02 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Made these last night and they were delicious.  Will probably make it again tonight to polish off all the ingredients.  Really wish those bolillo rolls were 1) wider at the ends and not so pointy and 2) more flat/even on the bottom so they were easier to cut cleanly/evenly.

34 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Try the Martins sub rolls. Perfect size and more suitable crumb for cheesesteaks and subs than bolilos.

yeah, they're legit.  I like most of Martin's products.

The Randalls on Mesa in Austin periodically sells a take 'n' bake product out of Louisiana that is fantastic.  I always forget the brand name.  Best sub sandwich roll I've had at home, legitimately close to Amoroso's rolls.  Unfortunately, their supply is hit or miss.  Sometimes they have a dinner roll from that same company, haven't tried that.  Might work for slider sized sandwiches.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Have never seen these.  The bolillos are the only ones that are close to sub rolls I've seen.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-bakery-white-submarine-rolls-4-ct/475190

They're a little bigger, a little more flexible than the bolillos (which are more brittle and tend to break apart when cut through the middle) and it's easier to hollow out some of the bread in the middle to make room for a cheesesteak or a meatball sub. I wish the baguettes were a little shorter and wider. Something between the baguette and the french bread, in terms of width, would be perfect. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mittens said:

Have never seen these.  The bolillos are the only ones that are close to sub rolls I've seen.

They don't stock many at my HEB (Far West).  There's usually only a few packs compared to maybe a dozen or more bolillos.  They are better, though.  Had some this weekend.  My son and I have been on a complete cheesesteak bender.

The Randalls on Mesa in Austin periodically sells a take 'n' bake product out of Louisiana that is fantastic.  I always forget the brand name.  Best sub sandwich roll I've had at home, legitimately close to Amoroso's rolls.  Unfortunately, their supply is hit or miss.  Sometimes they have a dinner roll from that same company, haven't tried that.  Might work for slider sized sandwiches.

I know what you are talking about and can’t remember the name either. the one on Brodie has them sometimes as well. Wish Heb would carry them

Definitely very good

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They don't stock many at my HEB (Far West).  There's usually only a few packs compared to maybe a dozen or more bolillos.  They are better, though.  Had some this weekend.  My son and I have been on a complete cheesesteak bender.

Mention it to a manager and they'll order and stock more. I've done that with a specific flavor of their Heritage Ranch dog food at my local store. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Mention it to a manager and they'll order and stock more. I've done that with a specific flavor of their Heritage Ranch dog food at my local store. 

Thanks.  Both my sons work there, but getting them to do anything but sleep and "take a long shower" is painful.

I'll also mention that they need to start putting stacks of red hand baskets at BOTH entry doors like they used to, the lazy fucks.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Try the Martins sub rolls. Perfect size and more suitable crumb for cheesesteaks and subs than bolilos.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get the rolls from The HEB bakery area for phillys. Dig a little bread out from one side and it’s perfect. The key imo is wrap them in foil for 3-5 minutes so it steams the bun

Edited by BurntOrange&White

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  Both my sons work there, but getting them to do anything but sleep and "take a long shower" is painful.

Ah man. I miss those days. 

I remember one time I left a bottle of lotion in a very conspicuous spot in the bathroom and my step dad was like "hey - let's try and be a little more discreet around your mom"

• Haha 1

My oldest just turned 13 and his younger brother and sister complained that he’s been taking really long showers lately. lol

Oh to be a confused teenager again….fuck that.

The look on my wife's face when our older son's showers started become interminable and I hinted at the reason why was priceless.  Worlds shattered, cats and dogs living together, etc.  Come on, woman.  (So to speak.)

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2024 at 10:02 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Got the fixins for this today. Shockingly, the Rundberg HEB had the sub rolls.