Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

If anyone has tried this, a quick review would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

IMG_1602.png

The Garcia's brand is the same price and a bit better. The Mi Tienda version used to be equivalent, but was way too salty the last two times I bought it. And by too salty, I mean inedible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The Garcia's brand is the same price and a bit better. The Mi Tienda version used to be equivalent, but was way too salty the last two times I bought it. And by too salty, I mean inedible.

The only gripe for those chips are that there are so many crumbs. Seems to be a lot of waste in the bottom of the bag. You’ve really got to be a regular in the “hey steel shank” cooking thread to be able to adequately utilize the entire bag.
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They’ve had a buy El Patio salsa and get a bag of chips for free deal going for a few weeks. Might end tomorrow. 

What does the El Patio salsa taste like? How hot is the hot version?

24 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

What does the El Patio salsa taste like? How hot is the hot version?

I got the Habanero with the coupon, as it was all that is left. I did not think it was very hot. Less Spice than the Mi Tienda Arbol. It's got a decent consistency, and a decent flavor, IMO, but I won't be rebuying. The Arbol is crack in comparison.

I like the el patio salsa but wife can’t handle the medium. I’d grade it better than ok but I likely won’t rebuy unless in sale.

The chips though are killer. For those out of range Tom Thumb now has the el patio chips but they’re on an endcap not in the chips aisle. Go buy some so they add them to the assortment. They are close to the chips at el Fenix with the little bubbles in them.

On 7/29/2024 at 4:43 PM, Biff Tannen said:

These are dangerously close to replacing Julios for me.

Also, Hancock HEB expansion is coming along.  Getting excited for it.

I hate Julio’s chips and salsa. The only thing I can taste is the MSG.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I mentioned this in the gardening thread but it’s worth re-posting. Many HEB stores, at least in Houston, offer fresh frozen peas and beans  from a farm called Sides in Canton, Tx. Depending on what’s in season, their offerings might include green, butter or lima beans, purple hulls, black eyes, crowders and my absolute favorite, lady cream peas. These are found in a stand alone freezer in the produce section. Do yourself self a favor and pick some of these up. 

IMG_1611.jpeg

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I mentioned this in the gardening thread but it’s worth re-posting. Many HEB stores, at least in Houston, offer fresh frozen peas and beans  from a farm called Sides in Canton, Tx. Depending on what’s in season, their offerings might include green, butter or lima beans, purple hulls, black eyes, crowders and my absolute favorite, lady cream peas. These are found in a stand alone freezer in the produce section. Do yourself self a favor and pick some of these up. 

IMG_1611.jpeg

How does one best consume "Lady Cream peas?" Presumably with Side 1 of Led Zeppelin 4 playing in the background? 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

I have an unpopular opinion: I could give a shit about any kind of pretzel. I’ve eaten every kind in a bag or fresh, all over the place. I’ve never had one that told me I needed another.

Then you COULDN'T give a shit. Yea, I know, the trivial things that make you surly thread is that way. 

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just buy 8 packages of wieners and 7 packages of buns.  Problem solved.

The frankfurters also take the time honored bowl of beans with chopped weiners to another level. And I'm just as likely to make a hotdog with a slice of bread as well as a bun.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 1:12 PM, Texzilla588 said:

I have an unpopular opinion: I could give a shit about any kind of pretzel. I’ve eaten every kind in a bag or fresh, all over the place. I’ve never had one that told me I needed another.

Then why would you repeat the fucking process if you didn't need another?  

On 8/14/2024 at 11:53 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Just buy 8 packages of wieners and 7 packages of buns.  Problem solved.

I usually go 16 and 14 so I have a couple extra during the week for lunches/quick dinner. 

• Hook 'Em 1