Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Do you have a Fiesta nearby? If that jar isn’t in stock, have you tried these and just running them through the blender?

61e0f1f7ca4b8e972a61adce1e51eeb9.jpg

Our nearest Fiesta closed awhile back. Pretty sure it was where our HEB is now. That being said, yeah, the can full options are still available, and I can use them. I'm just more irritated by the extra step and was curious if anyone else had experienced anything as well. I guess the answer, much like rain and hurricane season, is Fuck Houston. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Our nearest Fiesta closed awhile back. Pretty sure it was where our HEB is now. That being said, yeah, the can full options are still available, and I can use them. I'm just more irritated by the extra step and was curious if anyone else had experienced anything as well. I guess the answer, much like rain and hurricane season, is Fuck Houston. 

Amazon sells a pack of 12 for 28 dollars if that helps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't remember where you live, but HEB on Far West (78731) shows these in stock.

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks, but I'm in Houston. And none of the stores I go to have had this shit for months, including Kroger. It is...vexing. I'm terribly vexxed. 

I have found that I can order items online that I don't see on the shelves locally.  For years I would trek across town for Lime Chili Shrimp Ramen (my guilty pleasure) and big ass jars of the HCF Peanut Butter (for dog kongs) - neither of which have ever been stocked at my store.  On a lark, I looked to see if I could order for pickup at my store, and sure enough, they had them bagged up and ready to go the next day.  Worth a try to see if you can get your fix w/ a workaround. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Trust me - I was plenty shocked.  Asked the lady who brought my bag out how they have it now, but not inside and she couldn't give me an answer.  Weird glitch in the matrix that finally favored me, so I'm not complaining.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks, but I'm in Houston. And none of the stores I go to have had this shit for months, including Kroger. It is...vexing. I'm terribly vexxed. 

Randall’s at Westheimer and Gessner shows it in stock. 

8B5B166C-6CB8-4B38-8F95-753475C62F6E.thumb.jpeg.0afa9772e834bcef65263b0dbe1d2457.jpeg

Edited by DoobieWah

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Trust me - I was plenty shocked.  Asked the lady who brought my bag out how they have it now, but not inside and she couldn't give me an answer.  Weird glitch in the matrix that finally favored me, so I'm not complaining.

My heb app has shown a central market green adobo slice in stock for months and it’s not on the shelves. There isn’t even an empty spot for it and it’s just out of stock. Maybe there’s like a secret heb speakeasy of shit they don’t put out unless you know the password. 

26 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Randall’s at Westheimer and Gessner shows it in stock. 

8B5B166C-6CB8-4B38-8F95-753475C62F6E.thumb.jpeg.0afa9772e834bcef65263b0dbe1d2457.jpeg

That’s half way to Katy. 

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

Try any little Mexican grocery. I'm in Austin, but they all have them on their shelves. 

The La Michoacana didn’t have it either by me. 

The La Michoacana didn’t have it either by me. 

At this point you’ve put infinitely more effort into finding the chopped version than the effort it would have taken to buy the can of whole peppers and toss them in the blender. Reminds me of my dad, who despite having retired 3 fucking times will drive 15 minutes across town to buy gas for $0.03 cheaper….

…..Are you a 66 year old redneck that likes Keystone light and miracle whip on saltine crackers??
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

You’re in Pasadena?

🫣

No. I’m inside the loop. But anything outside the loop is half way to Katy, on general principle. 

55 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

At this point you’ve put infinitely more effort into finding the chopped version than the effort it would have taken to buy the can of whole peppers and toss them in the blender. Reminds me of my dad, who despite having retired 3 fucking times will drive 15 minutes across town to buy gas for $0.03 cheaper….

…..Are you a 66 year old redneck that likes Keystone light and miracle whip on saltine crackers??

That’s a fair point. But again I was curious if anyone else had seen this. That being said, I just look for it at all the places I do go. 

miracle whip isn’t bad. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. I’m inside the loop. But anything outside the loop is half way to Katy, on general principle. 

That’s a fair point. But again I was curious if anyone else had seen this. That being said, I just look for it at all the places I do go. 

miracle whip isn’t bad. 

Just quoting to say that I have been feeling your pain on this for what seems like the last year or so. It’s so much easier to just go by the spoonfull than having to take out individual peppers and dice up then not know what to do with the rest of the can. If you find any don’t hoard them all for yourself please, let a brotha know. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Have you considered mentioning it to the store manager? Perhaps worth a shot. A screenshot on your phone might prove useful in such case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

no that's where there was a grocery store on the east side and apartments on the west side, and now there's a grocery store on the west side and apartments on the east side.

anyway, worth a trip over to fiesta no. 1  every once in a while.

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

Have you considered mentioning it to the store manager? Perhaps worth a shot. A screenshot on your phone might prove useful in such case.

This is the way.  HEB management is very responsive - if something you like a lot is never in stock, ask them and they'll order more of it. 

• Like 1

I realize that this isn't a "Shit HEB doesnt sell" thread, but whatever. Has anyone else noticed that these diced Chipotles have become really, really hard to find? Like Sriracha hard to find?

image.png.ba3633503a06c45cca6dbd70e7739943.png

None of my HEBs have had them for months, and the last time I found some it was in a grocery store in Wimberley, and they were the last two jars. Plenty of other full pepper/canned variety. Just not these pre-chopped motherfuckers. Which are my go to mix with shredded chicken. 

Heb mansfield aisle 6. Tom Thumb has them. Walmart has dropped them, and is out of all Dukes Mayo products. As a concern from your post I ordered 2 jars from Tom Thumb.

I think there are some weird issues with certain brokers/ distributors.

These are essential and the only chipotles I use because the canned ones are a pain in the ass and wasteful.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Heb mansfield aisle 6. Tom Thumb has them. Walmart has dropped them, and is out of all Duke Mayo products.

I think there are some weird issues with certain brokers/ distributors.

Maybe. At my HEB, for some inexplicable reason, they stopped carrying Community Coffee 100% Colombia for about a year. They had every other blend of Community Coffee, but not Colombia. I mean, Colombian coffee is not exactly obscure or unpopular. When they carried it, it was frequently sold out, especially when they ran coupons it would fly off the shelves faster than all the rest. Since I go to another location on occasion, I'd pick it up there when I wanted it, but I was on the verge of saying something to the store manager when, suddenly, last week they resumed carrying it again. Weird. I think this was some error or an oversight on someone's part, quite frankly.

3 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Maybe. At my HEB, for some inexplicable reason, they stopped carrying Community Coffee 100% Colombia for about a year. They had every other blend of Community Coffee, but not Colombia. I mean, Colombian coffee is not exactly obscure or unpopular. When they carried it, it was frequently sold out, especially when they ran coupons it would fly off the shelves faster than all the rest. Since I go to another location on occasion, I'd pick it up there when I wanted it, but I was on the verge of saying something to the store manager when, suddenly, last week they resumed carrying it again. Weird. I think this was some error or an oversight on someone's part, quite frankly.

The caravans love Colombian coffee. The election year has hosed up the supply chain.

• Haha 3

On 9/5/2024 at 8:02 PM, SydneyCarton said:

miracle whip isn’t bad. 

Lo and behold, several Krogers in the area seem to have it stocked according to their website. Picked some up over the weekend at the Kroger near us. 

1 hour ago, McFly said:

I remember this one being super greasy. 

I mean....it's a microwave lasagna topped with pepperoni.  You were expecting a low-cal vegan delight?  As far as microwave meals go, it's tasty enough.  And yeah, toast a piece of bread and sop up that flavory goodness.

Just now, Chips O'Toole said:

Is Rao's fancy or something?  I just tried some recently from HEB and it was pretty good, it was just the last brand that I bought so it was first on my mind.  I should have said Kirkland or Stouffers.

It's not fancy, it's just damn good and relatively expensive.

If you look at any blind taste test of (say) marinara sauces done by legit sources (Bon Appetit, Cook's Country, etc.) Rao's wins going away almost all the time.