The Three Best Movies You've Never Seen, or Seen and Didn't Like

tantric superman

Highly-regarded movies I've either never seen at all or haven't seen in their entirety:

Casablanca [I can sense Gandorf rolling his eyes and gritting his teeth]

It's a Wonderful Life

Citizen Kane 

Seven Samurai

Lawrence of Arabia

On the Waterfront

Singin' In the Rain

Sunset Blvd.

Some Like It Hot

Rebel Without A Cause

Network

The Grapes of Wrath

Shane

2001:  A Space Odyssey

Giant

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Ben-Hur

Reds

Atonement

Any/all of the Matrix movies

Annie Hall (I think I've seen precisely one Woody Allen movie all the way through)

The Piano

Pride & Prejudice

Mulholland Drive

Damn.  I guess I have some movies to watch.  

Highly regarded movies that I've seen but did not care for:

North by Northwest

Moonlight

Crash

Blair Witch Project

Tar

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The LOTR movies: Saw them and was bored as shit.

Pirates of the Carribean: Saw a few. See above.

Recents:

Poor Things: Couldn't finish even though Emma Stone is an elite actress who looks nice with no clothes on.

Couldn't bring myself to watch the Elton John and Freddie Mercury biopics.

i don't love musician biopics but rocket man was very good and very well done.  wasn't nearly the cookie-cutter drivel that most of them are.  was more like a rock opera.  if you decide to watch one of the 2, watch that one.

i'm with you on lotr (saw each once, would pay to not have to see another minute of that franchise or the hobbit).  pirates i thought the first one was great but the 1-2 others i saw were trash.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went to a midnight showing of Return of the King. A friend knew I loved Two Towers, and begged me to go with him. Big GD mistake. Great movie but the ending is 45 minutes long. 253 minute runtime. 

I wouldn’t recommend seeing any of the LOTR films in theaters. Median runtimes are about 210 minutes. I’m astonished the franchise did so well. And people bitched and moaned about The Irishman being too long. 

I understand the Avatar hate on this thread I’ve watched maybe 5 minutes of the first film.

I don’t understand the A Christmas Story hate. It’s funny, whimsical, nostalgic, and well paced. And it looks great. The cinematography captures what a working class home/existence would look like 1940 Indiana. Gritty. Perfect ending with a great vibe. The Old Man is a lot like my dad, so I guess I have a soft spot for it. 

It’s a Wonderful Life is not a rewatchable movie. George is a bummer most of the movie. Donna Reed looking very hot and the ending pull it out of the toilet. I think everybody should watch it once.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I went to a midnight showing of Return of the King. A friend knew I loved Two Towers, and begged me to go with him. Big GD mistake. Great movie but the ending is 45 minutes long. 253 minute runtime. 

I wouldn’t recommend seeing any of the LOTR films in theaters. Median runtimes are about 210 minutes. I’m astonished the franchise did so well. And people bitched and moaned about The Irishman being too long. 

I think in another 10 years, people will look back on the LOTR movies with more than a bit of cringe.  They are bloated, silly at times, and often over the top in a way that I don't think ages well. It did launch a lot of careers and the Moria scene in Fellowship still slams and goes very hard, but the follow up Hobbit movies (and King Kong) highlight that Jackson kinda caught lightening in a bottle. 

Master and Commander, Fog of War,  & Lost in Translation were all in that same Oscar class and have aged so much better than Return of the King. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Raging Bull

Empire of the Sun

The Master

Kinda weird as I've seen just about everything else done by those three directors.

I realized this is my list as well.  Feels really weird. 

It's 2024 and I still haven't seen Shawshank Redemption. One of these days I will watch it. I've seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure twice since Covid.

Last year, I attempted to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid but fell asleep thirty minutes into the movie.

Casablanca, never seen it but always mean to but I never really make an attempt to watch it.

On 6/17/2024 at 5:48 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

Raging Bull

Empire of the Sun

The Master

Kinda weird as I've seen just about everything else done by those three directors.

Fucking raging Bull????

• Haha 1

The only one that comes to mind, and it has not been mentioned in this thread, is American Graffiti. 
It bored me to death, don't know why it got such great reviews.

It’s one of my favorite movies. No doubt it influence link later and dazed and confused. Maybe you didn’t live in an era of endless driving a circuit and the adventures that came from it.

On 6/19/2024 at 7:15 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

The only one that comes to mind, and it has not been mentioned in this thread, is American Graffiti. 

It bored me to death, don't know why it got such great reviews.

The movie is about the hang. Nothing particularly interesting happens, but the characters have a good time. 

On 6/17/2024 at 5:14 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Casablanca

It's a Wonderful Life

Citizen Kane 

Seven Samurai

Lawrence of Arabia

On the Waterfront

Singin' In the Rain

Sunset Blvd.

Some Like It Hot

Rebel Without A Cause

The Grapes of Wrath

Shane

Giant

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Ben-Hur

Reds

Annie Hall 

I’ve never seen any of these either and probably never will. 

Three Best Movies I’ve Seen and Didn’t Like:

Killer of the Flower Moon

Everything Everywhere All At Once 

Letters from Iowa Jima 

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 11:06 AM, Texzilla588 said:

It’s one of my favorite movies. No doubt it influence link later and dazed and confused. Maybe you didn’t live in an era of endless driving a circuit and the adventures that came from it.

One of the interesting things about American Graffiti for me is that even though it was set in a year only 11 years before it was released (1962 vs. 1973), American culture had changed so much in that time span that the vibe of the movie was nostalgic even though it was set only about 10 years prior.  If you made a movie today set in 2013, it wouldn't seem too different.  But so much radical stuff occurred between 1962 and 1973 (e.g., the Vietnam War, the drug culture proliferation, the British Invasion, etc.) that 1962 seemed a long time ago even when AG was first released and it was nostalgic.

Not only was AG a tribute to the car culture and "hangout" days, it was also about coming of age and the impending loss of innocence.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 11:11 AM, Carl Spackler said:

One of the interesting things about American Graffiti for me is that even though it was set in a year only 11 years before it was released (1962 vs. 1973), American culture had changed so much in that time span that the vibe of the movie was nostalgic even though it was set only about 10 years prior.  If you made a movie today set in 2013, it wouldn't seem too different.  But so much radical stuff occurred between 1962 and 1973 (e.g., the Vietnam War, the drug culture proliferation, the British Invasion, etc.) that 1962 seemed a long time ago even when AG was first released and it was nostalgic.

Not only was AG a tribute to the car culture and "hangout" days, it was also about coming of age and the impending loss of innocence.

In some ways it reminds me of Fandango, or rather Fandango reminds me of AG.  And there are folks that don't like Fandando, either.  But they're idiots who are terrible at life.

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In some ways it reminds me of Fandango, or rather Fandango reminds me of AG.  And there are folks that don't like Fandando, either.  But they're idiots who are terrible at life.

Definitely some parallels between AG and Fandango, which I think is a fine film, esp. for a first-time director on a major release.