Old Yearbook Scandals

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Message Board User said:

That would be the prudent and wise move, so probably not.  In fact, it appears that Northam has dug in and will be more difficult to extricate from office than my 7 year old from his Ipad.

Yeah, I'm mixed about the whole thing. Is Northam racist for donning black face or just really stupid ?  

Herring has to go simply by his own words at this point about northam's pic.

Fairfax is a true legal issue, and innocent until proven guilty keeps running thru my brain. Complex issues all around.  I have not gone politically bias on these 3 because they're not strictly party issues, and republicans have the same skelotens in their party.

Just saw a FB post about an NC elected official (gov. or senator maybe)  in black face being humorously lynched by KKK clad party goers back a few years ago...  I think there is gonna be a slew of these coming forward in the coming days and weeks.

They should all go but you’re mischaracterizing Herring’s situation.

He outed himself and apologized. Nobody “caught” him.

Sure, he did the politically expedient thing and got ahead of the situation. But he could have tried to cover it up and have those pictures destroyed.

I listened to a podcast this week with some black political activists from Virginia and they all seem to agree that with the right messaging and actions, they’re willing to work with Herring.

They also stressed the need for practicality. The voters overwhelmingly voted for democratic leadership and the republican that’s fourth in line won because the race was tied and he’s in office because his name was pulled from a hat.

They pointed out a lot of laws and bills that the new leadership has enacted that could be overturned immediately if they don’t play the politics part of this mess correctly.

I expect to see Fairfax resign and a new democrat appointed, then Northam resigns, new democrat becomes governor, new democrat appoints new lieutenant governor, and Herring stays.

20 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

They should all go but you’re mischaracterizing Herring’s situation.

He outed himself and apologized. Nobody “caught” him.

Sure, he did the politically expedient thing and got ahead of the situation. But he could have tried to cover it up and have those pictures destroyed.

I listened to a podcast this week with some black political activists from Virginia and they all seem to agree that with the right messaging and actions, they’re willing to work with Herring.

They also stressed the need for practicality. The voters overwhelmingly voted for democratic leadership and the republican that’s fourth in line won because the race was tied and he’s in office because his name was pulled from a hat.

They pointed out a lot of laws and bills that the new leadership has enacted that could be overturned immediately if they don’t play the politics part of this mess correctly.

I expect to see Fairfax resign and a new democrat appointed, then Northam resigns, new democrat becomes governor, new democrat appoints new lieutenant governor, and Herring stays.

No,  don't think so. Whether he outed himself or not, he said the governor should resign because of the picture.  Herring wore black face to a party. The gov.wore black face to a costume party. Both stupid acts in a post 1960's America.

The pic with the KKK clad friend was definitely bad.  Does it make him a racist or just a friggin' huge idiot or both ?? I don't know about the racist part, but for damn sure it makes him an idiot.

Whether Herring outed himself or not isn't the issue. The issue was the act of donning black face.  He outed himself before somebody came forward with a potential pic.  

If the black caucus gives him a pass so be it,  I'll respect their decision, but Herring's a lying, hypocritical weasel (and that was before this past week). Would he be given a pass if he were a republican ?  I'm skeptical to say the least about that scenario.

Cox didn't win his seat because his name was pulled from a hat. The republicans remained the majority party because the name of an incumbent republican in a tied race in Tidewatwer (Dick Yancey) had his name pulled from a hat. Cox' seat was never in doubt. He's been the speaker of the house for years now.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like all the hand wringing but the Republican talking heads and the supposed damage this will do to the Democrats.  Meanwhile, Trump was on tape talking about pussy grabbing and they didn't blink.

Politics now is essentially the Al Davis "Just win, baby" approach. There is no right or wrong anymore. 

It’s funny how “millennials are ruining their future careers by posting on social media and won’t ever be able to run for office” but god damn the boomers figured out how to do it first and well before the age of internet/social media. 

Good job, dumbasses.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s funny how “millennials are ruining their future careers by posting on social media and won’t ever be able to run for office” but god damn the boomers figured out how to do it first and well before the age of internet/social media. 

Good job, dumbasses.

it's a warning about posting abhorrent shit on social media, not against doing abhorrent shit.  because values

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Good job, dumbasses.

As old-fashioned as they are, yearbooks will still be a problem for some.  

noah-mason-you-got-to-enjoy-the-little-t

I’m picturing a lot of the slimy, behind the scenes political operatives on both sides of the aisle scurrying around college libraries all over the country looking up old yearbooks and fraternity pictures.

I’m also picturing a lot of politicians on their burner phones calling up Biff, who’s now the alumni chair for Sigma Chi and demanding that all the old scrapbooks and photo albums be locked away in a vault.

I’m expecting more of these pictures to be exposed between now and November 2020.

Good times.

• Like 1

Just now, Bama Chick said:

I don’t know, there was always that one weirdo legacy in every DKE pledge class. Usually a red head from Mobile or New Orleans.

I’m almost positive that guy was the type to sneak a camera in when the goat was in the party room.

I told you not to tell everybody I was a red head from Mobile.

Oh wait, we're usin' code names?

Y'ALL HEAR THAT? We're usin' CODE NAMES!

• Like 3

On 2/9/2019 at 12:16 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

They all gotta go. Gov. Northam appoints a new LT Gov. to take over for the resigning Fairfax.  He and Herring then resign (Herring said Northam must go when his black face pic came to light, now his has as well, can't moonwalk that one back). 

The newly appointed LT gov.takes over as gov. and appoints a new AG. The crisis is averted for the Va. democrat party.  That would give the republicans no where to go.  

Will it happen ?

As a VA resident, this is what I would like to see happen.

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

As a VA resident, this is what I would like to see happen.

I have zero issues with that course of action. After Northam called the first slaves indentured servants (this past weekend) I completely think he has to go now. Not only is he an idiot for donning black face, and posing with a KKK clad friend, now he's just a friggin' idiot who doesn't know history or the definitions of slavery or indentured servitude.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Are white people just incapable of dressing up like a person of color without attempting to wear that color or their facial features like some sort of fucking costume? On the whole,  people of color have been dressing up like superman,  Clark Kent, Santa Clause or any number of white people without feeling the need to change their whole skin tone and facial features to accomplish said task. I don't know why this is so hard for people to get.  Part of me believes it's partly because a lot of white people grow up consuming media (books,  TV shows, movies,  and stories in general) where they rarely identify or are forced to put themselves in the shoes of a character who is not of their own race.  It's almost like dressing up as black or Hispanic person necessitates some sort of extraordinary leap in imagery to fulfill the goal.  

There is merit to this train of thought. But, it's all about context. If someone went in blackface to a Texas game wearing a VY jersey, I think that there would be outrage across the board. If someone went to a costume party in the same outfit, the outrage wouldn't be unanimous. It's a costume party, which by definition relaxes the social norms. No one is going to get offended if a black guy puts on white makeup to be a vampire. But, even then there is a line to be drawn. Showing up as a Boston bombing victim or a 9/11 hijacker is in extremely poor taste. Personally, I would not participate any any of the above.

Where I take issue is when people use a situation that does not have racial intentions and turn it into a cause for outrage. Dressing up as MJ isn't demeaning to anyone in the least. If you went true black face, including the cartoonish white lips, that's something completely different as the intent is obviously aimed as a shot at black people. The yearbook photo is clearly racist and all people SHOULD be offended. I just don't buy that the circumstances merit the proposed consequences because a 20-something didn't have the foresight to see that he would be called out on it 35 years after it occurred due to the current political climate where white people are under intense scrutiny for anything they say/do to a person of color. Every politician has dirt from their youth that may or may not have been memorialized.

Intense scrutiny?!?! Black people are under intense scrutiny for normal everyday things. Not for wearing skin color like a freaking costume. I can't even jog in my own fucking neighborhood too early in the morning or too late in evening the without incurring a high level of intense scrutiny.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

32 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Intense scrutiny?!?! Black people are under intense scrutiny for normal everyday things. Not for wearing skin color like a freaking costume. I can't even jog in my own fucking neighborhood too early in the morning or too late in evening the without incurring a high level of intense scrutiny.  

Well obviously you need to work on your form and technique.  Nothing worse than seeing an ugly runner.

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Honest question: Why do you think that is? 

3 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Honest question: Why do you think that is? 

Hmm let me see:

Because through thoroughly exhaustive measures brought to us under federal,  local,  and state laws African Americans as a function of legal fiat were segregated from educational opportunities, employment opportunities,  and access to capital thereby leaving them to reside in densely impoverished areas all throughout the United States. Which resulted in what happens in every densely impoverished area throughout the fucking world; higher levels of crime.  Which,  despite your apparent amnesia concerning this subject,  everyone in longhorn messageboard fandom is well aware this is an obsession ofyours.  So quit with all the feigned trivial pursuit concerning black crime.  You're not unearthing anything here.  Obviously you think it's justified and perfectly fine for me to fear running in my own neighborhood. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hmm let me see:

Because through thoroughly exhaustive measures brought to us under federal,  local,  and state laws African Americans as a function of legal fiat were segregated from educational opportunities, employment opportunities,  and access to capital thereby leaving them to reside in densely impoverished areas all throughout the United States. Which resulted in what happens in every densely impoverished area throughout the fucking world; higher levels of crime.  Which,  despite your apparent amnesia concerning this subject,  everyone in longhorn messageboard fandom is well aware this is an obsession ofyours.  So quit with all the feigned trivial pursuit concerning black crime.  You're not unearthing anything here.  Obviously you think it's justified and perfectly fine for me to fear running in my own neighborhood. 

Measured response, well done man.

41 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hmm let me see:

I was going to say “Because whites are racist”, but this is fine too.

Soooooo...
turns out that e'erybody's been blackfacing.  Kimmel, Fallon, even the lovely and talented Sarah Silverman:
Jimmy-Kimmel-Jimmy-Fallon-Sarah-Silverma

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2019/02/14/nick-cannon-slams-jimmy-fallon-kimmel-old-blackface-videos/2868133002/

Nick Cannon blasts (pun intended) them as well.  His post is kinda good, but has some holes in it, as the commentors pointed out.nickc.png
(this a screenshot, to go to his instagram post to see his entire post and the reactions:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BtsYAvWhhC3/?utm_source=ig_embed)

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol of course he was a KA at Auburn.

And even though the national organization banned confederate dress almost 10 years ago, this is how they dress for Old South today -

cdf74cc041d827b2e5b5292acf8ea65e.jpg

Nope. Those costumes certainly don’t evoke the confederacy. Not at all.

Man, even they are all in blackface

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Cons: a bunch of little shitbird KAs who'd never get farther than delivering pizzas without help from mommydaddy. Can't hold their liquor, yet brag about it. Can't even plagiarize without it being childishly obvious. Inhabit a cinderblock cube of a house dressed up to evoke Tara.

Pros: Not a one of them is staring at a phone.

I'm kind of conflicted.

58 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol of course he was a KA at Auburn.

And even though the national organization banned confederate dress almost 10 years ago, this is how they dress for Old South today -

Nope. Those costumes certainly don’t evoke the confederacy. Not at all.

Blue jeans and red wings were the unofficial uniform of the confederacy. 

43 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Y'all are surely are forgiving lot that sees racism everywhere. Many are willing to give the gov a pass for wearing black face and taking a pic with a guy in a klan suit because he may just be stupid but not sure if he is racist.  I have read that logic a few times in this thread.  Amazing contortions from some of you. Impressive actually. eec40227d802e065ffd0e89f4cb4173b.jpg

You saw a lot of posters defending Northam on this thread? Honest question.

33 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well Onboard is a trumpkin so try again.

Trumpkin ?  Hardly.

I voted against Hillary Clinton, and would do it again in a heart beat. I doubt very seriously I'll be voting for Trump in the next election, unless the democrats run her or somebody worse (unpossible actually, there is no one worse).

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Trumpkin ?  Hardly.

I voted against Hillary Clinton, and would do it again in a heart beat. I doubt very seriously I'll be voting for Trump in the next election, unless the democrats run her or somebody worse (unpossible actually, there is no one worse).

You didn't have to vote for anyone. You voted for Donald Trump. 

On 2/11/2019 at 1:27 AM, Bama Chick said:

I’m picturing a lot of the slimy, behind the scenes political operatives on both sides of the aisle scurrying around college libraries all over the country looking up old yearbooks and fraternity pictures.

I’m also picturing a lot of politicians on their burner phones calling up Biff, who’s now the alumni chair for Sigma Chi and demanding that all the old scrapbooks and photo albums be locked away in a vault.

I’m expecting more of these pictures to be exposed between now and November 2020.

Good times.

I know a couple of fraternity brothers of mine that better not run for office - especially on any anti drug platform

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

You saw a lot of posters defending Northam on this thread? Honest question.

I said his actions were at the least idiotic, at worst he's racist.I saw the pic as racial (of him in blackface) but not racist.  Him in black face standing next to a robed KKK costume and it got a lot worse than just blackface as a joke.  I also said I'd abide by whatever the black voters thought was appropriate.

The Va. democrat party circled the wagons, and had a "discussion" with the black party members in the house... and lo and behold they're all cool with it now (Laaaaawdy it's a miracle).  THAT disturbs me more than anything. He's a democrat it's cool. Were he republican he'd have been forced to resign already. The hypocritical double standard is beyond suckage, especially considering alleged racism is involved.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You didn't have to vote for anyone. You voted for Donald Trump. 

I voted against Hillary Clinton, and would do anything to help the cause to defeat that hump. Don't even try that lame ass, circular logic shit.  I've never not voted in a presidential election, and wasn't starting in 2016

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I said his actions were at the least idiotic, at worst he's racist.I saw the pic as racial (of him in blackface) but not racist.  Him in black face standing next to a robed KKK costume and it got a lot worse than just blackface as a joke.  I also said I'd abide by whatever the black voters thought was appropriate.

The Va. democrat party circled the wagons, and had a "discussion" with the black party members in the house... and lo and behold they're all cool with it now (Laaaaawdy it's a miracle).  THAT disturbs me more than anything. He's a democrat it's cool. Were he republican he'd have been forced to resign already. The hypocritical double standard is beyond suckage, especially considering alleged racism is involved.

giphy-3.gif