Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

SA find a way to cross the line in the last over.  They took what should have been a snoozer to the last over with plenty of drama.  Bastards got 6 points in their group with a Net Run Rate of 0.599.  By comparison, the Poms only got 4 points with a Net Run Rate of 1.992.

Rooting for anyone but England as usual.

7 minutes ago, lazytexasfan said:

champions trophy next year in Pakistan
t20 wc in 2026
odi world cup in 2027

damn. and kohli just retired from t20. no more all format player. guessing rohit will soon as well

Good, they need to step aside and let the young’uns get a chance.  Can’t believe Jaiswal didn’t get a game the entire tournament. 

1 hour ago, lazytexasfan said:

champions trophy next year in Pakistan
t20 wc in 2026
odi world cup in 2027

damn. and kohli just retired from t20. no more all format player. guessing rohit will soon as well

India should not participate in the Champions Trophy if it is being held in Pakistan. Full stop.

54 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Good, they need to step aside and let the young’uns get a chance.  Can’t believe Jaiswal didn’t get a game the entire tournament. 

It is time for Rohit and Kohli to move on. I thought Rohit made a poor decision to bat first on a pitch where India scored 181 in a victory and Australia had put up 201 on the same ground in this tournament. Compared to India, South Africa played slow bowling very well considering they batted second on the pitch. Kohli's slow and deliberate approach may have very well cost India the game if it not for South Africa collapsing at the end of their batting innings and SKY's out of this world catch. Hardik Pandya only getting two deliveries is not appropriate in T20 format. Luckily, Shivam Dube was serviceable, but he was mostly ass this tournament. Two overs - one from Kuldeep and one from Akshar nearly handed South Africa the trophy.  

The Indian batting lineup was flawed from the get go. Yashasvi deserved to be the starting opener and it is stupid not to open with a lefty/righty combination. Kohli should have played at three - his natural position and I would have considered Akshar at 4 for the ability to build a proper partnership while maintaining that L/R combo. Then I would have gone SKY, Pant, Hardik, Dube, and Jadeja in order to ensure the best chances of belting runs once the batting innings were half over. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

India should not participate in the Champions Trophy if it is being held in Pakistan. Full stop.

India's matches will most likely be moved to the UAE. Always tough to predict the law-and-order situation in Pakistan but the other teams seem determined to make a go of it.

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

India's matches will most likely be moved to the UAE. Always tough to predict the law-and-order situation in Pakistan but the other teams seem determined to make a go of it.

Good to know. If other cricketing nations want to follow in Sri Lanka's footsteps, be my guest.

I had to go back and watch the last part of the second innings because I still can't believe what I saw.  Last five overs of pace bowlers, 22 runs for four wickets.  Bumrah, Pandya and Arshdeep let their nuts hang in the biggest moment of the tournament.  That was unreal.

This will go down as one of my favorite matches of all time and I'm not a big fan of hits and giggles T20.  The Gabba test win and Lords win in 2021 are still my recent favorites - Eden Gardens test against Australia is overall #1 for me.  I still get a chuckle out of the Lords win because it was against the Poms and dumbass Joe Root wanted his bowlers to rough up Bumrah and Shami.  Those two wound up tonking the England bowlers and put the game back in India's hands after most thought it was best case draw for India after day 4.