Prince and Tom Petty

JimmyHoffa

So I went down a Tom Petty hole and searched Tom Petty threads and came across this one. Seemed as good a time as any to watch one of my favorite performances ever.

I think my favorite part of the video is at 4:58 when Prince gives TP a look like "I know that shit I already did was pretty cool, but wait till you see what's next, Tom" with an absolute shit-eating grin on his face. 

Anyway, I figure no one will complain about necro-bumping this thread and watching this.

image.thumb.png.b7c8bcb6dee44c628e9be42d637ece9b.png

• Hook 'Em 4

I crack up every time I watch it, I'm pretty sure he's giving the "watch this" grin to the cheesedick session guy who got mad Prince was gonna take some of his solo.  And then, the cock of the walk toss-my-guitar-into-the-rafters move, holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So I went down a Tom Petty hole and searched Tom Petty threads and came across this one. Seemed as good a time as any to watch one of my favorite performances ever.

I think my favorite part of the video is at 4:58 when Prince gives TP a look like "I know that shit I already did was pretty cool, but wait till you see what's next, Tom" with an absolute shit-eating grin on his face. 

Anyway, I figure no one will complain about necro-bumping this thread and watching this.

image.thumb.png.b7c8bcb6dee44c628e9be42d637ece9b.png

I loved both of them so much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/11/2024 at 6:07 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I crack up every time I watch it, I'm pretty sure he's giving the "watch this" grin to the cheesedick session guy who got mad Prince was gonna take some of his solo.  And then, the cock of the walk toss-my-guitar-into-the-rafters move, holy shit.

I mean, Prince obviously burned the place down.  But Marc Mann isn't exactly chopped liver.  There's a great NYT article about how it all went down.  But the short version is that Prince never rehearsed that solo with the band because Mann took both solos in the rehearsal.  After that, everyone got together to make sure he knew to take the outro solo, but nobody knew what was coming. 

I remember reading that his guitar tech caught the guitar and handed it to Oprah, who ultimately took it back to Prince backstage.

Edited by dcbc

I read a guitar player article interview with princes stage guitarist one time. He told a story about one night where for some reason prince asked him to take the solo on purple rain. Said he tore the ass out of it and after the show prince apparently said you are never playing that again.

• Like 2