Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crashes killing 157

Nueces River Rat

More sweetheart deals for the criminal corporation that kills hundreds through poor airmanship negligence 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boeing-plea-deal-deferred-prosecution-agreement/

Javier de Luis, who was a member of the Federal Aviation Administration's expert review panel on Boeing's safety culture and whose sister was killed in the 2019 737 Max crash, said following Sunday's call with the Justice Department, "The issue is not whether there should be trial vs a plea deal. The issue is that the penalties being proposed by the DoJ are totally inadequate both from the perspective of accountability for the crimes committed, and from the perspective of acting in the public interest by ensuring a change in Boeing's behavior."

"The penalties proposed here are essentially the same as those proposed under the previous DPA which, as Alaska Air demonstrated, did nothing to increase the safety of the flying public," de Luis said, referencing the January mid-air blowout of a door on an Alaska Airlines flight.

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

Reuters: Boeing to plead guilty to fraud in US probe of fatal 737 MAX crashes

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON, July 7 (Reuters) - Boeing (BA.N), opens new tab has agreed to plead guilty to a criminal fraud conspiracy charge and pay a fine of $243.6 million to resolve a U.S. Justice Department investigation into two 737 MAX fatal crashes, the government said in a court filing on Sunday.
The plea deal, which requires a judge's approval, would brand the planemaker a convicted felon in connection with crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia over a five-month period in 2018 and 2019 that killed 346 people.

The settlement drew swift criticism from victims' families who wanted Boeing to face a trial and suffer harsher financial consequences.
The Justice Department's (DOJ) push to charge Boeing has deepened an ongoing crisis engulfing Boeing since a separate January in-flight blowout exposed continuing safety and quality issues at the planemaker.

A guilty plea potentially threatens the company's ability to secure lucrative government contracts with the likes of the U.S. Defense Department and NASA, although it could seek waivers.

As part of the deal, the planemaker agreed to spend at least $455 million over the next three years to boost safety and compliance programs. Boeing's board will have to meet with relatives of those killed in the MAX crashes, the filing said.
The deal also imposes an independent monitor, who will have to publicly file annual progress reports, to oversee the firm's compliance. Boeing will be on probation during the monitor's three-year term.

Lawyers for some of the victims' families said they planned to press Judge Reed O'Connor, who has been overseeing the case, to reject the deal.
Edited by Captainant
  • Rage+1 2

Until the execs are taking dick in FPMITA prison nothing will change.   Oh, a fine that we can pass on to the shareholders, that is fine.  We’ve already sucked enough out of this company to ensure generational wealth. Until people really suffer for their wrongdoing, they will continue their wrongdoing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Until the execs are taking dick in FPMITA prison nothing will change.   Oh, a fine that we can pass on to the *current* shareholders, not the ones who sold and benefitted from the fraud, that is fine.  We’ve already sucked enough out of this company to ensure generational wealth. Until people really suffer for their wrongdoing, they will continue their wrongdoing.

Ftfy

Edited by elfenix
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)

But (no CR) since the SCOTUS Chevron shit nobody can enforce any safety regs except a judge. I feel much safer getting on a Boeing now.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 hours ago, RPM said:

But (no CR) since the SCOTUS Chevron shit nobody can enforce any safety regs except a judge. I feel much safer getting on a Boeing now.

I wonder if Boeing will tell them to pound sand on the recent order to inspect all their 737MAX and NG's for issues with their oxygen masks 

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/faa-orders-inspections-2600-boeing-737-airplanes-over-oxygen-mask-issue-2024-07-08/

• Like 1

I wonder if Boeing will tell them to pound sand on the recent order to inspect all their 737MAX and NG's for issues with their oxygen masks 
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/faa-orders-inspections-2600-boeing-737-airplanes-over-oxygen-mask-issue-2024-07-08/

They will.
It will work.
Nothing will change at Boeing.
More people will die.
And then a company vital to our national security and economic wellbeing will die. And the only people who will suffer directly will be current shareholders: every exec who murdered the company will be in their $10 million houses counting their additional millions and not giving a shit.

Which is our system working EXACTLY as designed and intended. Prepare for a lot more of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I love how the CFO adjusted his Salary + Bonus.

If anyone is interested, I think I can make 30 million dollars a year and get people stranded in space and killed in planes.  Hell, I'll do the job for $20 million.  My first action item is changing the slogan to "We make no promises."   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Do the astronauts drop off their ballot at the nearest mailbox?

Yes, but they've restricted it to only one approved drop off box for all of low-Earth orbit so a lot of astronauts just rather not deal with the lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

Boeing 777X can't do test flights anymore because one of the two giant links that holds the engine on was found broken after a flight from Hawaii.  Then they checked the other two flight test planes and they had broken links too.   These parts are like 10 feet long and are made from welded titanium tube by a supplier.

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/aircraft-propulsion/boeing-halts-777-9-certification-tests-engine-mount-checks

Edited by ClubWhatever