General Lacrosse Thread

UT Lax

Lamar probably wont ever come back due to the numbers changing. St. John's was competitive this year. I heard something about them losing a stud to a boarding school. Looks like they had a new coach this year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

Yeah, the privates just come in and throw scholarships at kids.  ESD has taken Prosper and Frisco's best incoming freshman for next year.  We lost our goalie to Jesuit and Greenhill (?!?) just swiped our best 7th grader starting next year.  I can't say I blame them as my kids go to private, just one without a team so we play with the publics. 

Any private school competing in the UIL cannot offer athletic scholarships. So the two Jesuit schools are not offering scholarships for lacrosse. Not sure about ESD and Greenhill. 

Salisbury lacrosse is the undefeated, defending national champion and one of the most dominant NCAA programs in any sport.  They are the paradoxical blueblood: ALL the wins, but a very hood program - or as hood as a whitebread sport can be.  I think of them as lacrosse's version of Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes.

Spoiler

13-Time NCAA Division III National Champions
(1994, '95, '99, '03, '04, '05, '07, '08, '11, '12, '16, '17, '23)
282 All-Americans
39 NCAA Tournament appearances
33 Consecutive NCAA bids
28 NCAA Semifinal appearances
25 Conference Championships
(1995, '96, '97, '98, '99, 2000, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '11, '12, '14, '15, '17, '18, '19, '21, '22, '23)
12 National Players of the Year
55 National Position Players of the Year
5 National Coach of the Year awards
NCAA Record Winning Streaks
105-game conference winning streak (3/04/95-04/04/09)
69 consecutive wins (4/17/03-5/21/06)
55 consecutive wins (2/17/07-3/28/09)
47 consecutive wins (2/26/94-5/18/96)
31 consecutive wins (4/20/11-2/16/13)
87-game regular-season winning streak (4/17/03-3/28/09)
80-game home winning streak (4/17/03-03/28/09)
14 undefeated regular seasons (1991, '93, '94, '95, '96, 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10, '12, '16, '20*)
4 straight perfect regular seasons (1993-96)
5 straight perfect regular seasons (2004-08)
15 Major League Lacrosse/Premier Lacrosse League Draft Picks

Washington & Lee is a blueblood type university and win a lot of conference championships (13 in the last 33yrs) but mostly 2 and cue in the NCAAs.  Lost to Salisbury last year in the Elite 8.

Today:

Bonus:

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Also, fucking Notre Dame.  Hate those guys.

I despise Notre Dame.  Growing up in the late 80's w/ Lout Holtz and being forced to go to Catholic school in New England will do that to you.  But I absolutely love the way ND lacrosse plays and how that team is built. I am always at odds w/ myself watching them play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 11:32 AM, Stuck in CO said:

Summer travel season ramping up.  Anyone else have kids playing and going to some good tourneys?

Got one daughter at Live Love LAX this weekend in Maryland. And one on the couch in a knee brace.  

hope you guys are having a good summer season.  

3 hours ago, Dish Boggett said:

Got one daughter at Live Love LAX this weekend in Maryland. And one on the couch in a knee brace.  

hope you guys are having a good summer season.  

Wish your daughter a speedy recovery. My daughter is at IWLCA in St Louis this weekend. Son's season doesn't start until next weekend at the Denver Shootout.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter's team won the Midwest Moxie tournament in Cincinnati.

That played sloppy and lost in the Semifinals in the Vail tournament earlier this week. Sucks because they were in first after bracket play and lost to a team they had already beaten pretty handily.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:05 PM, Mittens said:

Didn't love the Whipsnakes draft, but I trust Stags to know what he's doing - he has a PLL title.

This is why I'm not a PLL GM.

Last night's W vs league leading Atlas:
3G - TJ Malone, 3rd round pick
2G, 1A - Levi Anderson, 3rd rd pick (Redwoods), picked up via trade 2 weeks ago - 1st PLL points
2G - Adam Poitras, 4th rd pick

Malone leads the team w/ 10G, 3A - 4P more than perennial All Stars Williams and Rambo.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone else who actually follows the PLL?  Getting to the midpoint of the season and I'm not sure how anyone is going to be able to beat the Atlas in the playoffs, and they were absolute ass last year.  Currently at 5-1 after going 2-8 in 2023.  Not sure how the playoffs will work this season now that they have divisions, but Atlas and Cannons should be the championship game.

Won 17-4 Fri night vs Denver.  Teat had 9P (6/3), and has already tied the league record for points in a season...before the All Star break. 8 different goal scorers, 4 w/ at least 2G, 11 w/ a point, Baptiste is the OG goat at the F/O and the rookie G had 14 saves on 22 shots on goal in his 1st start.

Goal of the year was SC Top10 #1 last night.  Just disgusting!

This one should have been Top 10 as well:

Pat Spencer won the Tewaaraton Award (lacrosse's Heisman) in 2019 and holds the NCAA record for career Assists, 4th in career Points.  Grad Transferred from Loyola (Md) to Northwestern to play basketball.  Spent a year in the Bundesliga 2, where I think he helped his team get promoted.  Been with Golden State's G League team in Santa Cruz the last 2 seasons.  Recently got some run with the big club.Pat Spencer won the Tewaaraton Award (lacrosse's Heisman) in 2019 and holds the NCAA record for career Assists, 4th in career Points.  Grad Transferred from Loyola (Md) to Northwestern to play basketball.  Spent a year in the Bundesliga 2, where I think he helped his team get promoted.  Been with Golden State's G League team in Santa Cruz the last 2 seasons.  Recently got some run with the big club.

This was SC Top 10 #10 last night:

This is why I'm not a PLL GM.
Last night's W vs league leading Atlas:
3G - TJ Malone, 3rd round pick
2G, 1A - Levi Anderson, 3rd rd pick (Redwoods), picked up via trade 2 weeks ago - 1st PLL points
2G - Adam Poitras, 4th rd pick
Malone leads the team w/ 10G, 3A - 4P more than perennial All Stars Williams and Rambo.

My kids have worked some with Matt Dunn so they’re both Whips fans as well.

• 2 weeks later...

PLL All Star game/weekend isn't much different than other sports - very little defense (for the most part) and lets just score and stay healthy.

But this dodge is absolutely disgusting:

Rabil being hyperbolic, but whatever

Posted (edited)

dunno and can't find any better angles on twitter/google

edit - forgot I had it on the DVR...pretty sure it was Tyler Carpenter from the Atlas wearing #24 instead of #5 as Colin Kirst had seniority.

Edited by Mittens

• 3 weeks later...

Dang, just looked at the schedule for the weekend...

1st game tonight should be a great one: Whips v Outlaws
2nd game tonight is trash: 1-7 Philly vs 2-6 Cali....woof.  I'd be shocked if Nat is still employed after this year.  That Redwoods team has WAY too much talent to be sucking so hard year after year.

NY v Utah tomorrow should be awesome and I'd be shocked if Denver can't beat Carolina...except it's tough to win both your home games in one weekend and Carolina has Riordan.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:05 PM, Mittens said:

Didn't love the Whipsnakes draft, but I trust Stags to know what he's doing - he has a PLL title.

Turns out, Stags does in fact know what he's doing.  Malone should be ROY.

• 3 weeks later...

Chaos over Cannons is an absolute stunner.  Chaos' #1 D, Jack Rowlett, was suspended for a brutal, late, chrosscheck to the throat last in the season finale.  But, they have Blaze Riordan and he can steal a game - 15 S, 79% today.  I can't stand Andy Towers, but he had a great scheme to shut down the Cannons O.  No doubleteaming Nolting and make him shoot, which also takes Holman's catch-and-shoot game away.  1pt between the 2 of them and Holman only got off 3 shots all game.  I really thought the Cannons would be in the Finals.  Could lightening strike twice and a another bottom seeded Chaos win another title?  

Whips had to come back from 2 down in the 3rd.  :06 til the end of Q3, Whips D takes a desperation 2pt shot which ricochets around, off a Chaos D, and into the net.  They got another 2 before the Outlaws closed to 1 with :45 to play.

I think Carolina beats Utah w/ no Tom Schreiber.  Archers have a lot of firepower, but he's the best middie in the world right now, and leads them in assists.  NY v Maryland is cool for me because I know both HC, having worked summer camps for them eons ago.  Have to give the edge to Atlas as they've been so damn good all summer long.  I will not be shocked at all if both of those are incorrect picks.