Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

https://futurism.com/boeing-execs-starliner-news-conference

Yeah.... Things are still a little chilly.

I feel bad for Joel, Steve, and John. They were all contemporaries of mine. We worked many Shuttle missions together in the MCC.

"It's seemingly a last-minute change because there were five chairs set up at the news conference," Berger tweeted, "and they just removed two seats right now."

When he asked NASA about the reason for Boeing's absence, he said, the agency's response was "you'll have to ask them."

Frustrated World Cup GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Also... Another failed thruster during post undocking ops and the guidance system went down (but came back up) during entry is not a good look for future planning.

That may have been why Boeing noped out of the press conference.

Furk, just as we need a decent alternative to Musk and SpaceX.

Here's hoping Bezos pulls things off.

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

https://futurism.com/boeing-execs-starliner-news-conference

Yeah.... Things are still a little chilly.

I feel bad for Joel, Steve, and John. They were all contemporaries of mine. We worked many Shuttle missions together in the MCC.

Not to butter you up or make this awkward, but it truly is a blessing to have your perspective on these issues. The fact that you also generate some hilarious GIFs from time to time is icing on the cake.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Furk, just as we need a decent alternative to Musk and SpaceX.

Here's hoping Bezos pulls things off.

The reality, this was the death knell of Boeing's aerospace division, and it sucks, because of the whole less competition part of the equation.  There are a few other startups out there, but they are so far behind Space X and Blue Origin, not to mention well underfunded, each of them aren't worth mentioning being in the race.  I haven't heard it really talked about, but I'd give it a coin flip as to whether or not Orion is cancelled by either candidate, which would in effect end Lockheed Martin's program as well.  

So basically, in terms of the near future, when it comes to space exploration, we will be limited to the whims of two of the richest pricks on earth, with apparently very few other options.  That's sort of like having to choose between ISIS and the Taliban.  

Edited by BamaATL
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

So basically, in terms of the near future, when it comes to space exploration, we will be limited to the whims of two of the richest pricks on earth, with apparently very few other options.  That's sort of like having to choose between ISIS and the Taliban.  

Nah, Bezos is not an incel and is not posting on his own BBS at least a few times every hour for 18 or 19 hours out of every 24 hours.

His mid-life crisis is more of a mid-life party.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nah, Bezos is not an incel and is not posting on his own BBS at least a few times every hour for 18 or 19 hours out of every 24 hours.

His mid-life crisis is more of a mid-life party.

Don't kid yourself, Bezos is just as big a prick as Musk, if not more so, he's just smart enough not to buy his own social media company and broadcast it.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

Don't kid yourself, Bezos is just as big a prick as Musk, if not more so, he's just smart enough not to buy his own social media company and broadcast it.  

He's also not smart enough to sell a $100,000 truck that looks like 10 year-old me in the 1980s designed it.

• Haha 2

On 9/9/2024 at 10:47 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Next up ... Polaris Dawn and the first ever commercial spacewalk ... with luck they launch at 3:38 AM.

So this hasn't gotten a lot of talk the last few days.

Yes they did launch. And the capsule is in space. and the spacewalk is scheduled for just over 9 hours from now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I hope the suits perform well.  To my knowledge, these will be the first new suits in decades.  I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty in designing a space suit, because after all, it really isn't just a suit, it's a spacecraft in it's own right.  

This is another technical challenge for going to the moon and beyond that seemingly we are well behind with.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I hope the suits perform well.  To my knowledge, these will be the first new suits in decades.  I can't even begin to imagine the difficulty in designing a space suit, because after all, it really isn't just a suit, it's a spacecraft in it's own right.  

This is another technical challenge for going to the moon and beyond that seemingly we are well behind with.  

That plus the first full depressurization and repressurization of a manned Crew Dragon in orbit. Lotta firsts are gonna happen overnight. It's a fuckin shame it's elmos company doing it

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That plus the first full depressurization and repressurization of a manned Crew Dragon in orbit. Lotta firsts are gonna happen overnight. It's a fuckin shame it's elmos company doing it

At this point I'm just going only acknowledge that its a bunch of talented people at Space X doing great things, that happened to work for an asshole.  (Ironically, sound like most companies).  

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They did achieve the highest orbit at 870 miles, about 17 more than Gemini 11.  (the lunar trips apparently don't count as the weren't true orbits but rather lunar transjection burn starts.  So that have that record.  

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

Cool the suits worked (as far as we know for now) but that wasn't much of a spacewalk. More like a space stickyourheadoutofthecarwindow.

I'll take proof of concept, it's a pretty major accomplishment, not to mention extremely dangerous.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I queued up the video for the interesting part the "spacewalk". They "lose" the live video as the hatch opens likely in case there was a problem.

You do get the whole "how many SpaceX engineers does it take to open a door?" moment. Bummer we don't get to see the hatch open - just from closed, cut away, then open.

Still, this is impressive. Hope the suits took care of what they needed to take care of beyond providing atmosphere to the astronauts. The engineering teams should be proud.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, RPM said:

Cool the suits worked (as far as we know for now) but that wasn't much of a spacewalk. More like a space stickyourheadoutofthecarwindow.

TBH this mission was moreso about de/re pressurizing the capsule than it was doing sick flips on an EVA. Since the dragon is a single chamber, it meant EVERYONE was in their vac suit with zero margin for error or airlock to take shelter in if they couldn't reseal the capsule in orbit

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

I understand all this guys. I've been a spacenut from the Gemini and Apollo days. I was expecting this:

Ed White Space Walk Digital Art by Peter Chilelli - Pixels

Maybe they have another spacewalk planned after looking at data.

IMO the mission planning for a seasoned USAF test pilot and NASA astronaut is probably a bit less complicated than for a bunch of commercial crew. I'm looking forward to seeing more actual EVA and not just "open the nose and poke my head out", but this is an important proof of concept and flight/vac validation for the suits

I wish elon wasnt such douche.  His companies are fucking amazing.  Wish he would step down and leave the companies so he can be a full time twitter warrior. 

Large percentage of people are blinded with the elon hate and refuse/cant acknowledge how amazing this is and its only 1 of 6 or so incredible companies.  but i get it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, partytimesausage said:

I wish elon wasnt such douche.  His companies are fucking amazing.  Wish he would step down and leave the companies so he can be a full time twitter warrior. 

Large percentage of people are blinded with the elon hate and refuse/cant acknowledge how amazing this is and its only 1 of 6 or so incredible companies.  but i get it. 

SpaceX is cool (not that it doesn't have major issues, like "fuck your laws, we don't need to follow any of those").  It also happens to be the company that seems to have kept the largest buffer between him and the actual operational shit (not a coincidence, not even a little bit).

Tesla?  Way overvalued, getting lapped by the competition because it can't decide what it wants to be, and he meddles in everything.

The Boring Company?  Bitch please.

Twitter?  Bitch please, pussy in bio.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

SpaceX is cool (not that it doesn't have major issues, like "fuck your laws, we don't need to follow any of those").  It also happens to be the company that seems to have kept the largest buffer between him and the actual operational shit (not a coincidence, not even a little bit).

Tesla?  Way overvalued, getting lapped by the competition because it can't decide what it wants to be, and he meddles in everything.

The Boring Company?  Bitch please.

Twitter?  Bitch please, pussy in bio.

i like the energy.

26 minutes ago, partytimesausage said:

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

SpaceX needs to toe the line a lot more than they are doing, because they are pissing off a shitload of people (not just the locals). And if they keep it up and there is action taken against SpaceX, Elmo will take his ball and move to Mexico.

You have to be nice to your neighbors, especially when the taxpayers are helping subsidize your operation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, those of us who grew up the 70s and 80s were closer to World War II than kids these days are to the Apollo landings.

In two years, the last Apollo mission will be closer to WWI than to the present. 

Furk.