2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

that lineup card will get framed for W #500 for hinch, love it 

No shit. That lineup looks like a 100 loss team and put up 9 runs.  Tyler White batting 5th and littered with B and C team players. 

Confidence is contagious though. 

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

No shit. That lineup looks like a 100 loss team and put up 9 runs.  Tyler White batting 5th and littered with B and C team players. 

Confidence is contagious though. 

Finally seeing the transcending effect of putting on the uniform of a winner for this club?

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

stubbs brings energy to the clubhouse / line up. i hope he pushes Stassi out the door. Charinos needs a better back up for relief 

Agreed. He is an athletic catcher with a good head on his shoulders based on the sample size we have at this point. If that was who he is, Stassi should very well be concerned.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

hearing stubbs' dad and then seeing our ragtag group throwing up a crooked number...getting dusty in here.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

if anyone finds the stubbs family interview online, please post.  my astros fan/usc buddy wanted to see it and isn't watching.

Best I could find:

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1

Just now, Wishbone said:

Loved Marwin and was sorry to see him go. However, with the multiple position players we have and the addition of Brantley, we are better off.

Yet Tyler White manages to play almost every day who can't hit for shit and can't really play any position.  We have a spot for a guy that can hit and can fill in for anyone. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m disappointed he didn’t put Jake 9th tonight....

And tip of the cap if you predicted Jake Marisnick as the only Astro in the lineup for both win #1 and #500 for Hinch

His first 89 wins were with Arizona.  That was win #90.  His first win:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ARI/ARI200905100.shtml

• Like 1

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Yet Tyler White manages to play almost every day who can't hit for shit and can't really play any position.  We have a spot for a guy that can hit and can fill in for anyone. 

Patience. Any day now. These IL opportunities for the rooks will pay dividends sooner than later. They are taking more time on the Great White Farce because he is out of options and is a position player they hope to receive some value for. As long as he’s not blatantly costing us games, they’ll ride it out for some potential value or finally run out of patience themselves and cut bait.

32 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m disappointed he didn’t put Jake 9th tonight....

And tip of the cap if you predicted Jake Marisnick as the only Astro in the lineup for both win #1 and #500 for Hinch

Not so fast, my friend. 

Hinch had 89 wins as the Arizona Diamondbacks manager. 

So, by my reckoning, Marisnick has been in the lineup for the 1st and 411th win of Hinch’s Astros career. 

Great accomplishment for Hinch. 

Here’s to hundreds more as Astros manager.

Damnit, WBT beat me to it. 

Edited by Victor Lazlo
Got scooped by WBT

3 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Patience. Any day now. These IL opportunities for the rooks will pay dividends sooner than later. They are taking more time on the Great White Farce because he is out of options and is a position player they hope to receive some value for. As long as he’s not blatantly costing us games, they’ll ride it out for some potential value or finally run out of patience themselves and cut bait.

That's pretty gracious calling him a position player. In reality he is a designated hitter who can't hit and a mediocre fill in 1B.

I guess he is just designated. He definitely isn't a hitter. 

I get that we have a full cupboard and are playing payroll games though. Don't like it, but I get it. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

That's pretty gracious calling him a position player. In reality he is a designated hitter who can't hit and a mediocre fill in 1B.

I guess he is just designated. He definitely isn't a hitter. 

I never said he was a good position player. 😉 But he is designated as a first baseman, and a DH for what it is worth. Neither at this level isn’t panning out obviously. Since they are out of options with him and they have had the luxury of taking their time with him there has been no hurry. This is likely to change soon don’t you think?

7 hours ago, Wishbone said:

It's like fielding 8 fucking players, 3 of whom are rookies.

I'm all about Astros love and momentum, but sooner or later, the numbers are going to catch them right?

Fuck sabermetrics.  They are turning to the dark side of gut feel and whimsical decisions.

Have another cupcake you fat fucker.

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

He wasn’t playing every day until the recent injuries-for weeks there, he was barely playing at all. That spot you’re talking about belongs to Diaz and his 118 wRC+ compared to Marwin’s 84. Kemp’s is 83. White’s is 70. If he were here, it would just give people a different guy to bitch about.

White will probably be gone soon enough (unless he starts one of his hot streaks like he had last year for a month or so, which would be nice with Altuve/Springer/Correa/Diaz hurt). In a few weeks they'll flip him to some AL team for a low-level prospect, which is better than just giving him away (which would happen if they demote him). Alvarez will have cleared all the service time hurdles by then, and it's likely somebody will be hurt, so he could get everyday ABs. 

Great offensive showing last night...the team just needs to tread water during this stretch without 3 all-stars. Every win without JA/GS/CC is big.