2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

This fucking week is on me and I beg your forgiveness... stated Monday with a loss in Round Rock.
Tues and Wed in Cincy.
Thurs and Fri in NYC.
On the bright side, this albatross heads back to Texas tomorrow

This gif seems appropriate
9bef5a2effc1e60bee880699b1d0284d.gif

No

When we were looking at a 4-6 week stretch without most of our good players, I was hoping for .500. I think we're still a few games better than that (though maybe not by the time the weekend is over). 

This team sans Springer, Correa, Altuve (who missed 35 games) and Diaz is pretty much a .500-ish club. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

1-13 with runners in scoring position 
fuuuuuuuuuuck 

During this six game losing streak, the Astros are averaging 2.3 runs per game, have led for three innings and are 6-for-44 with runners in scoring position. They struck out eight times in 13 such at-bats on Friday.

On the bright side...

Tyler White! In June, he's hitting .277/.435/.468, and he's walked as frequently as he's struck out.

Meanwhile, Gurriel still sucks. He's among the worst everyday players in baseball. White was a better hitter than Yuli last year and has been this year as well (despite White's horrendous first 2 months). 

I know we kind of have to play Yuli every day right now; but Yuli should draw our collective ire before TW. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

They both suck but yuli is just more likeable.

I'm ok with neither being part of the playoff roster plan if possible

Yeah, neither is particularly good. We frequently discussed upgrading the DH/1B spot in the offseason. 

Hopefully Yordan becomes the badass DH/occasional OF we haven't had. We still need to be better at 1B. I'm just saying that White has been better than Yuli in 2018-2019. 

Hank, I love you man, but we get it.
I think that horse has been beaten to death for those of us on this thread a lot.

I do appreciate the facts to back it up though because we do all have subconscious bias to hate one more over the other

I love that White has decent numbers this month and stick my nose in the air when people bash white and say he’s awful.
While he is still that (how can you be a first baseman/DH and only have 2 HRs and 11 RBIs at the summer solstice!) but at least he’s turning the lineup over to get someone up at bat that can actually hit one out.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

And that’s fine if we get one of these in the WS...
3e8855b1bd9cb87d3dd60ed84d3b9bc7.gif

Hmm.  I think Yuli's stance is a little different this year.  In the WS year, he nearly always had his back to the pitcher.  This year, he is a little more shoulder forward.  I always thought his stance was weird looking, but it worked.

Edited by FondrenRoad

6 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, neither is particularly good. We frequently discussed upgrading the DH/1B spot in the offseason. 

Hopefully Yordan becomes the badass DH/occasional OF we haven't had. We still need to be better at 1B. I'm just saying that White has been better than Yuli in 2018-2019. 

It's like diarrhea v. vomiting