2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Yeah it sucks, but it doesn’t really have much bearing on how this team will perform come playoffs.  At the same point in the ‘17 season, the team got swept by a worse A’s team.  

Good to see Yuli back.  Correa’s not far off.   Pressly will be back in a week or so.  Maybe Peacock too.  Team is getting healthy at the right time.  

Now let’s go lunch up on some sub-.500 clubs and make the division thing official.  The best record stuff will work itself out.  Not worried about HFA with the Yankees.  Would be nice to have for WS if it’s in the cards just to have the DH that our lineup is now built for in an extra game if needed.  

I am absolutely confident this team will kick ass in the playoffs. They have more talent than anyone else top to bottom and will be invigorated with the end of the long drag of the regular season and the beginning of the post season. They have been there before and the experience will show when they get to the real nut cutting. Just playing now for the added advantages of home field, seeding, etc. We will be fine once the big lights come on in the playoffs.

'tuve seems to have a bunch of "i'm keith hernandez" moments on the base paths - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. when they do, he scored from 1st on a double to walk off the yankees in game 1 of the alcs and sanchez drops the ball, when they don't he gets picked off 2nd or thrown out trying to go 1st to third on a groundball.

i will say that a healthy altuve going into the playoffs is huge for us; him doing all these dumb ass things on the bases tells me he's feeling good at this point in the year. now, if we can get princess pussy back...

You’re Probably Underrating Yordan Alvarez

Here’s a random, tossed-off statistic for you. When Alvarez pulls the ball in the air, he bats .868 with a 2.421 slugging percentage. Percentage doesn’t make much sense for a number like 2.421, but nothing about Alvarez’s production does. That’s good for a 768 wRC+, best in the majors by 103 points. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/youre-probably-underrating-yordan-alvarez/

Altuve has never been a particularly good base runner for a guy with his speed. Using the eyeball test, he has seemed to often (throughout his career) make bad base running plays. Sometimes it seems he is being too aggressive (there exists a fine line between aggressive and dumb) but sometimes he seems unfocused. 

More objectively, Fangraphs has him as a slightly better-than-average base runner for his career. But in 2019 he rates solidly below-average (he also did in 2015 and 2013) according to their metrics. 

2 hours ago, WBT said:

You’re Probably Underrating Yordan Alvarez

Here’s a random, tossed-off statistic for you. When Alvarez pulls the ball in the air, he bats .868 with a 2.421 slugging percentage. Percentage doesn’t make much sense for a number like 2.421, but nothing about Alvarez’s production does. That’s good for a 768 wRC+, best in the majors by 103 points. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/youre-probably-underrating-yordan-alvarez/

I doubt it, I predicted he would hit 1600 career home runs...

4 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Y’all remember when the Dodgers were free-falling in September in ‘17?   The D-Backs stole their lunch money in the last few weeks of the season.  And the Dodgers swept them in the NLDS.   

Yankees, A’s, Indians, Twins.  It don’t matter. 

The Indians won't be there.  #RaysUp