Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

Same but different . . . I saw a food TV show where the dude made a super crispy chicken parmesan but heated the marinara and mozzarella in a separate skillet, pouring it on at the last second before serving.  Made a lot of sense.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/20/2024 at 8:08 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, no doubt.  My young wife insisted over easy wasn't flipped, though.  I'll cook it or eat it either way, but don't bitch at me when you wanted sunny side up but asked me for over easy, honey.

What did she think “over” meant?

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am an outlier on this issue but as much as I love the look of CFS drowned in gravy, in reality I want the gravy on the side.  I don’t want it getting soggy.  

Often when you ask for a sauce on the side, you end up getting more volume. I have not found that to be the case with gravy and CFS. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 12:17 PM, Wiler77 said:

Carve is pretty good shit.  I've been to the one on SW Parkway multiple times for work but never ordered the chicken-fried pork chop.  I just went to their menu to see what's changed from the last time I went, and I noticed they have an option for putting a "salad" on top instead of gravy.  It looked like arugula and a few tomatoes.

This is probably a "ban user" POV, but if you've never had a CFS or CFPC with squeeze of lemon or arugula with a light vinaigrette on top, you should give it a try.  It's a fantastic combination.  It's pretty common for schnitzel to come with a lemon in Germany, and I had a pork schnitzel topped with arugula and lemon vinaigrette at Trattoria Lisina a few times that rocked my world.  The acidity from the lemon and the bite from the arugula cuts through the fat of the meat and crust, and you don't have that "full and greasy" feeling afterwards.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Same but different . . . I saw a food TV show where the dude made a super crispy chicken parmesan but heated the marinara and mozzarella in a separate skillet, pouring it on at the last second before serving.  Made a lot of sense.

The real way is to have a salamander to melt the cheese fast and put a bit of carmelization on it.  I bet some of you rich fuckers have a home salamander.  

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The real way is to have a salamander to melt the cheese fast and put a bit of carmelization on it.  I bet some of you rich fuckers have a home salamander.  

what-jaws.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Chinese Food: Giant salamander Stock Photo by ©bbbbar 44406227

But really, it's a small broiler.

Saw one of those on a street corner down near Circle C with a tin cup, walking stick, and really dark sunglasses asking if I could spare some change.  Said his name was Agent Orange.

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am an outlier on this issue but as much as I love the look of CFS drowned in gravy, in reality I want the gravy on the side.  I don’t want it getting soggy.  

I don't think it's that controversial.  Gotta preserve the crisp.  Certainly not as questionable as vinaigrette and arugula.  

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Somehow I missed this glorious thread 

Anyone had Murns in archer city?

Yes, it was discussed very early in this or "the small town gems thread" by me. I believe it is the best "restaurant" chicken fried steak I have eaten. My top three, in order, are Murn's, Jake and Dorthy's, and Mary's. If the Wooden Spoon was still open in Cranfills Gap, it would be right there with Murn's.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Often when you ask for a sauce on the side, you end up getting more volume. I have not found that to be the case with gravy and CFS. 

Yeah, Moonshine Grill shorts the gravy on the side.

IMG_3459.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, Moonshine Grill shorts the gravy on the side.

IMG_3459.jpeg

You're gonna need more gravy. Tell them to fill two pint glasses with it. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/2/2024 at 4:52 PM, RMac5 said:

Stockyard Cafe at the sale barn does their CFS on a flat top griddle. This is the best way or in a skillet, not deep fried.

There used to be a place in Bee Cave long ago called Barbara Ellen’s that cooked theirs that way and they were fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There used to be a place in Bee Cave long ago called Barbara Ellen’s that cooked theirs that way and they were fantastic.

Fuck you, it wasn’t THAT long ago. I’m not old, YOU’RE old!

That place was awesome. They also had “broasted” chicken, which was some sort of pressure cooked fried chicken, I think? It was all damned good.
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck you, it wasn’t THAT long ago. I’m not old, YOU’RE old!

That place was awesome. They also had “broasted” chicken, which was some sort of pressure cooked fried chicken, I think? It was all damned good.

I am old!  I used to eat at the Branding Iron long before it became the Backyard.  And Rosie’s when it was still “cash only”.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2024 at 10:09 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

Great place.  It is the old train terminal in Hillsboro.  Old school CFS with two sides. It is west of I-35 before you get to the courthouse.

Stopped here on the way up to Dallas and it was very good.  You actually get 3 sides, one of which could be a trip to the old school salad bar.  Thanks for the rec.  The only slight demerit was no okra.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:09 AM, DalTxHornFan said:

Great place.  It is the old train terminal in Hillsboro.  Old school CFS with two sides. It is west of I-35 before you get to the courthouse.

Are you talking about R&K?

On 10/8/2024 at 6:05 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

a new hope GIF by Star Wars

I miss Barbara Ellen’s. That place was awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Fred’s Texas used a griddle for CFS at the old place.  Don’t know about the new place.

I had to run my blind up to our deer lease on Wednesday. I met a buddy at Mary’s. I got the small gizzards instead of a CFS. It was easily 2.5 lbs. of gizzards. I ate as much as I could, never touched the fries or salad. Brought the rest home to CHIEF Jr. and he ate all he could before putting the rest in the fridge. 
I told Mrs. CHIEF, who isn’t a gizzard person. I asked her if she expected me to stop back by and order her a CFS. She said she damn sure does. 
I thought I knew chicken fried steaks. I asked her how she thinks they make it. She said it was marinaded for at least 48 hours in egg, buttermilk, salt, pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder, double dredged in flour, and cooked in butter on a griddle. Which is precise as you can get. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I had to run my blind up to our deer lease on Wednesday. I met a buddy at Mary’s. I got the small gizzards instead of a CFS. It was easily 2.5 lbs. of gizzards. I ate as much as I could, never touched the fries or salad. Brought the rest home to CHIEF Jr. and he ate all he could before putting the rest in the fridge. 
I told Mrs. CHIEF, who isn’t a gizzard person. I asked her if she expected me to stop back by and order her a CFS. She said she damn sure does. 
I thought I knew chicken fried steaks. I asked her how she thinks they make it. She said it was marinaded for at least 48 hours in egg, buttermilk, salt, pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder, double dredged in flour, and cooked in butter on a griddle. Which is precise as you can get. 

CHIEF

If you are ever fool enough to end up in the divorce thread, Mrs Chief will have a long line of suitors

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1