Chicken Fried Steak

Limp Brisket

1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

for both chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken, the first two words "chicken fried" describe the cooking method because it is battered and deep fried like traditional fried chicken.   the last word describes the meat used    

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

God damn this page is fucked.
Why do we always have to fuck up a good thing?

These two posts above, truth.  On to the next page for fucks sake.

Edited by BlueGreySky

2 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

for both chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken, the first two words "chicken fried" describe the cooking method because it is battered and deep fried like traditional fried chicken.   the last word describes the meat used    

This is the crux of the issue. The best CFSs are not deep fried like fried chicken. They are battered and fried on a griddle. If you want to take a battered up a bone-in chicken breast, fry it on each side for four minutes and then eat it, be my guest. The only similarity is that they have a seasoned flour batter. The steak itself, is marinaded in buttermilk and eggs. I would assume most chicken never goes through the milk and egg process.

CHIEF

20 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The steak itself, is marinaded in buttermilk and eggs. I would assume most chicken never goes through the milk and egg process.

Wait, what?  A buttermilk bath is classic old school southern fried chicken.  Eggs are optional.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not all fried chicken is deep fried either. We don't deep fry ours and the very best fried chicken I've ever had wasn't deep fried. It was made by Granny (not mine, but that's what everyone called her) in east Texas. Dammit. Now I'm jonesing for her fried chicken.

Edited by sith_horn

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

If we're being pedantic are steak fingers a sub category of chicken fried steak or are they their own thing?

Come to think of it, I've never had deep fried steak fingers. Maybe because the only steak fingers I remember eating were from elementary school. Juanita wasn't running a deep fryer back there.

16 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Not all fried chicken is deep fried either. We don't deep fry ours and the very best fried chicken I've ever had wasn't deep fried. It was made by Granny (not mine, but that's what everyone called her) in east Texas. Dammit. Now I'm jonesing for her fried chicken.

Best fried chicken I ever had was shallow fried.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I'm with you.  My dear departed Great Grandmother (a true daughter of the Republic of Texas from deep East Texas - Sabine County) always just made fried chicken in a cast-iron skillet with a little bit of (homemade) lard and butter.  The buttermilk soak was also mandatory.  We kids always had feather picking duty after the birds were dispatched.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

This is the crux of the issue. The best CFSs are not deep fried like fried chicken. They are battered and fried on a griddle. If you want to take a battered up a bone-in chicken breast, fry it on each side for four minutes and then eat it, be my guest. The only similarity is that they have a seasoned flour batter. The steak itself, is marinaded in buttermilk and eggs. I would assume most chicken never goes through the milk and egg process.

CHIEF

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad