Israel

SmokeyBear1861

“The United States has indications that Iran is preparing to imminently launch a ballistic missile attack against Israel. We are actively supporting defensive preparations to defend Israel against this attack. A direct military attack from Iran against Israel will carry severe consequences for Iran," a senior White House official tells @mj_lee and @ArletteSaenz.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

“The United States has indications that Iran is preparing to imminently launch a ballistic missile attack against Israel. We are actively supporting defensive preparations to defend Israel against this attack. A direct military attack from Iran against Israel will carry severe consequences for Iran," a senior White House official tells @mj_lee and @ArletteSaenz.

October surprise on the first goddamn day of October.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

It happened just a few months ago. Heavily telegraphed. I don’t understand how the Muslim world can view this as saving face. The whole world knows it’s performative. 

It's not terribly effective at "saving face," because yeah...it's transparent as hell.

But when it's all you've got, it's all you've got.  Iran is far from the first mouse that roars like hell in world history.

5 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Watching Tel Aviv live on MSNBC and it looks like missles are hitting the city but maybe they are blowing up in the air from the iron dome and other anti missile defense systems.  Pretty crazy watching it live. 

The AJ story says the IDF reported 102 missiles launched by Iran.  That is a significantly smaller salvo than the last time they fired missiles.  The reports of simultaneous gun attacks in Tel Aviv and Jaffa are going to be interesting to follow.  But if that is, collectively, Iran's "response"....then it's well within bounds of what was expected.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Farnaz Fassihi
Oct. 1, 2024, 1:04 p.m. ETJust now

Farnaz Fassihi

United Nations bureau chief

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said in a statement that Iran had launched ballistic missiles on Israel in response to the recent Israeli assassinations of several Hezbollah leaders, including the group's secretary general, Hassan Nasrallah. It said it would launch more attacks if Iran was attacked.

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The AJ story says the IDF reported 102 missiles launched by Iran.  That is a significantly smaller salvo than the last time they fired missiles.  The reports of simultaneous gun attacks in Tel Aviv and Jaffa are going to be interesting to follow.  But if that is, collectively, Iran's "response"....then it's well within bounds of what was expected.

They need to take the L on this.  They won't but they should.

Looks like this was a bunch of sound and fury, without a lot of actual damage? 

But it did look like some of those missiles were getting through.

And CNN reported 7 dead in what appeared to be a terrorist gun attack at a train station right before the missiles started.

What's Israel's response...?

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Looks like this was a bunch of sound and fury, without a lot of actual damage? 

But it did look like some of those missiles were getting through.

And CNN reported 7 dead in what appeared to be a terrorist gun attack at a train station right before the missiles started.

What's Israel's response...?

The smart response?  Keep playing the game YOU have chosen, not the game your impotent enemy wants to play.

Israel has been making masterful chess moves v. Iran in recent months.  Keep playing that game, don't be distracted AT ALL by theatrics and performative bullshit.  Iran just made noise.  Ignore it and keep on trucking, pursuing your plans using your intel as you have been.

I strongly suspect that will be how Israel plays it.  Israel isn't looking to put on a show.  They aren't looking to "escalate."  They also aren't looking to "de-escalate."  They have goals they want to accomplish re Iran and Hezbollah.  They are accomplishing them, and they are likely to keep doing so for some time.

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The smart response?  Keep playing the game YOU have chosen, not the game your impotent enemy wants to play.

Israel has been making masterful chess moves v. Iran in recent months.  Keep playing that game, don't be distracted AT ALL by theatrics and performative bullshit.  Iran just made noise.  Ignore it and keep on trucking, pursuing your plans using your intel as you have been.

I strongly suspect that will be how Israel plays it.  Israel isn't looking to put on a show.  They aren't looking to "escalate."  They also aren't looking to "de-escalate."  They have goals they want to accomplish re Iran and Hezbollah.  They are accomplishing them, and they are likely to keep doing so for some time.

I agree with you. However, if Israel escalates, as they have with Hamas and Hezbollah and the Houthis, you’ll claim they’ve been drawn offsides. 

the strength of the iranian air force does not matter

executing the comm device supply chain attack prevents it's future repetition at scale

the 10000 clerics brisket mentioned are the high clergy of the Shia branch of Islam

the IRGC numbers 125000 with an annual budget of us$ 7 billion

nothing short of nuking iran and ending Shia will effect regime change

in summary, they are terrible and we should win convincingly

31 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I agree with you. However, if Israel escalates, as they have with Hamas and Hezbollah and the Houthis, you’ll claim they’ve been drawn offsides. 

If Israel "escalates" using similar methods and targets as they did with Hezbollah, I won't claim they've been drawn offsides at all.  That's what I would expect, and it would be a sound strategic moves.

If Israel "escalates" and uses force against Iran the way it has against Hamas in Gaza (leveling block after block after block, killing tens of thousands of Iranian civilians).....yeah, I will absolutely say they were drawn offsides, it would be dumb, counterproductive, a shitty use of resources (air power), etc.  Fortunately, I don't think that approach is likely to be in play.  When it comes to Iran and Hezbollah, Israel has been playing some masterful chess.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The chess metaphor is silly considering how unevenly matched the opponents are.  Israel could make dozens of mistakes and still "win."

• Like 1

The chess metaphor is silly considering how unevenly matched the opponents are.  Israel could make dozens of mistakes and still "win."

Fair, but there are still ways Israel can lose, in terms of standing in the world, as well as in cost/losses. To continue the metaphor, losing too many pieces as you get the win would not be the best outcome.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fair, but there are still ways Israel can lose, in terms of standing in the world, as well as in cost/losses. To continue the metaphor, losing too many pieces as you get the win would not be the best outcome.

I see it closer to college football: Alabama beating Peru State doesn't really demonstrate the coach's acumen, but winning ugly would still hurt his image. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

You're the asshat laughing at some truly shitty racist talk. You bring your own cesspool everywhere you go 

Screenshot_20241002_074115_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.28b5961211db16586f161397234beb71.jpg

@MagicSoccerSpray does your pussy hurt extra hard today, bitch?

Look at who else laugh reacted, by the way, @Rex Kramer insists he's not a racist little shitweasel but his words and actions seem to suggest otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

@MagicSoccerSpray does your pussy hurt extra hard today, bitch?

Look at who else laugh reacted, by the way, @Rex Kramer insists he's not a racist little shitweasel but his words and actions seem to suggest otherwise.

Wild that people are asking what rule was broken in that thread. What the absolute fuck. 

That sort of personal attack against someone's family because of their religion is WAY the fuck over the line

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Wild that people are asking what rule was broken in that thread. What the absolute fuck. 

That sort of personal attack against someone's family because of their religion is WAY the fuck over the line

It's hilarious because as soon as I talked about the extended family I have over there (via marriage) in the DT thread, all the dumbest people on the board immediately assumed I meant MY marriage, even though I am not married and my girlfriend is the whitest, blondest woman alive. It's a really easy way to sort out the mouthbreathers, though.