Group text messaging

wild_turkey

Guest Lobo

Well yes we obviously know that that type of messaging makes perfect sense     My mother is probably about your mom‘s age and while we don’t need every detail those types of check ins are perfectly appropriate 

But we both know that 95% of group texts are absolutely superfluous and only reinforce what we already know that almost all human interaction in this day and age where we have solved for safety and food  Is pretty much worthless outside of the immediate family dynamic were caring and intimacy are primarily expressed face-to-face

But yes older relatives in their communication with us are paramount.   Otherwise between group text  and social media,  I have no fucking idea why people are communicating with one another.    Belonging to a message board is fun but it’s completely voluntary     Being inundated hourly with texts and social media updates and pushes sounds absolutely excruciating to me     I don’t know how people do it      If people are so goddamn interesting put your fucking phone down and go outside and interact with them 

Other than sending a few photos of the little ones to family in Chicago, I cannot possibly conceive of a scenario where you'd want to initiate a group text.  If you're trying to coordinate with friends, just fucking stop and realize coordinating 10 adults at one time is futile and if they were adults---y'all would just pick a place and time and be there.  I've been in shithole third world countries with no phones and if we said to meet at a place at 10:00a, everybody was there at 10:00a no questions asked.  Phones just give people an excuse to be fucking idiots.  Don't text, don't use social media, unless it's with family and immediately mission critical.  If you lose somebody at a music festival, fuck 'em.  
What is the sudden fascination with interacting with other people?  
Do I need to get off your lawn??

Back in the days when unlimited text messaging wasn't so common, I got added to a group text message with 1 guy I knew and a bunch of his friends.  It was at the end of the month, and I was out of texts.  I texted asking them to remove me because I was out of texts.  You can imagine what happened next.  They started bombarding the chat with texts.  One word per text to write a sentence.  Stuff like that.  I was furious at the time.  Kinda funny now.

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Other than sending a few photos of the little ones to family in Chicago, I cannot possibly conceive of a scenario where you'd want to initiate a group text.  If you're trying to coordinate with friends, just fucking stop and realize coordinating 10 adults at one time is futile and if they were adults---y'all would just pick a place and time and be there.  I've been in shithole third world countries with no phones and if we said to meet at a place at 10:00a, everybody was there at 10:00a no questions asked.  Phones just give people an excuse to be fucking idiots.  Don't text, don't use social media, unless it's with family and immediately mission critical.  If you lose somebody at a music festival, fuck 'em.  

What is the sudden fascination with interacting with other people?  

Agree that people communicate too much but 100% disagree on the use of group text.  It’s not for kids’ pictures.  Either 1 or 10. Ok, if the kid was just born, one pic is allowable. Otherwise drop the kids pic on fb or instagram so users can pull the photos they want to see.  

but the purpose of it is to coordinate with people as long as it sticks to that.  Ever been on a group vacation? Group text is great for everyone to let everyone else know where they are and if they can meet up.  Am I going to call 15 people to tell them to meet at 12 for lunch?  

holy stupid millennial shit.

I’m no millennial - Gen X here - but the majority of shenanigans on group texts are perpetrated by the olds not millennials.

I’ve never had a younger family member or coworker in a group text treat the damn thing like their blog or diary like the Boomers do. The younger ones are all Joe Friday - “Just the facts” and short and sweet and to the point.

It’s Nana and Karen from Accounting who send paragraphs about their problems with the cashier at Target and bitching about the new parking garage rules.

My sales team at work has a text group that gets pretty busy, but it's 99% work texts.  No big deal there.  But every so often one of us will accidentally put a spicy text into that group by accident.  I, for example, was complaining about the North Dakota heat and told my coworkers and boss, "My taint aches."  Not my finest moment.

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

My sales team at work has a text group that gets pretty busy, but it's 99% work texts.  No big deal there.  But every so often one of us will accidentally put a spicy text into that group by accident.  I, for example, was complaining about the North Dakota heat and told my coworkers and boss, "My taint aches."  Not my finest moment.

North Dakota Heat is a hockey team, right?