[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

As negative as I’ve been on Pierce, almost since the beginning, it’s not actually his CWS appearance record that bothers me. It’s the inconsistency of the program from year to year, the lack of development, striking out with key recruits, A&M on the rise, the frustrating pitching, and coaching personnel issues. The performance in the World Series once there is also concerning. 

David Pierce is Tom Herman. Good post-season record but program is in a shitty place because he's an asshole and the coaching staff is a mess. He made Herman level comfort hires to start his tenure, then followed it up with failed former head coaches. Then he decided he wanted to interfere with the pitching and got rid of a good coach in Woody Williams.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, David Dennison said:

Yeah, dude seems to have gone full aggy.

The funny thing is I read an article the other day that suggested the opposite. Said Schloss actually brought up the idea of having the A&M women’s dance team at the baseball games and he was met with some push back

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why on earth would Schlossnagle leave aggy? He's running the best program in Texas.

That ship has sailed.  Texas should have hired him when he was at TCU.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

David Pierce is Tom Herman. Good post-season record but program is in a shitty place because he's an asshole and the coaching staff is a mess. He made Herman level comfort hires to start his tenure, then followed it up with failed former head coaches. Then he decided he wanted to interfere with the pitching and got rid of a good coach in Woody Williams.

I was with you until this. From everything I've seen, Williams was way in over his head at Texas when it came to fulfilling the holistic duties of his job.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

I was with you until this. From everything I've seen, Williams was way in over his head at Texas when it came to fulfilling the holistic duties of his job.

But the performance was better than the year before and the year after. You can say Williams didn't like the recruiting aspect of being the pitching coach at Texas, but he produced a product that was nearly a run per game better than David Pierece did this season. You can also point to how much interfering Pierce did last year with the pitching staff. Just like, when Herman basically made Yurcich call his play book. same with Jimbo and Petrino.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Are we really trying to will Schloss to Texas into existence?

It's a pipe dream, but a dream nonetheless. He has a legit chance to win it all this year. Even if he doesn't, no chance aggy lets him leave without throwing every asset in the AD at him. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

It's a pipe dream, but a dream nonetheless. He has a legit chance to win it all this year. Even if he doesn't, no chance aggy lets him leave without throwing every asset in the AD at him. 

I mean, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

But the performance was better than the year before and the year after. You can say Williams didn't like the recruiting aspect of being the pitching coach at Texas, but he produced a product that was nearly a run per game better than David Pierece did this season. You can also point to how much interfering Pierce did last year with the pitching staff. Just like, when Herman basically made Yurcich call his play book. same with Jimbo and Petrino.

Yeah, I can agree on all of that. There's probably a scenario where Pierce sets up a system to allow Williams to do what he does best (coach pitching) and mitigates his poor recruiting ability (inability to even do it?). However, it's Pierce's way or the highway, and I don't think he's even aware enough to pick up on the fact that he probably needed to establish something like that in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

good thing they're poor then

Happy Aggie Football GIF by Texas A&M University

Just now, HtownHorn said:

The only thing we got going for us with Schlossnagle is Del Conte vs. Trev Alberts.

other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

CDC won’t do anything unless he has a bird in the hand.

Which is the way it should be done. I prefer the quiet assassian as opposed to the Perrin approach of announcing your pressence with authority only for the catcher to tell the hitter what pitch is coming.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Which is the way it should be done. I prefer the quiet assassian as opposed to the Perrin approach of announcing your pressence with authority only for the catcher to tell the hitter what pitch is coming.

Interesting note about CDC operates is the new S&D coach was in talks weeks before the announcement and his eventual national championship win. 

3 hours ago, Balcones said:

You seem like a short guy, with a miserable job, who lives in a tract home in like Cedar Park or sugar land. Wife is like 180 lbs?

Did I get that right?

Do you enjoy being a prick and a prick that is wrong?

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, WBT said:

He does not.  Every year we end up replacing 1 if not 2 of our weekend starters.

Also the 3rd straight year where we opened the season with the wrong closer. 

Our closer to open the last two seasons was Chris Stuart and David Shaw. Like, I can't even believe I typed that.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Acropora said:

This is the way.  Cdc has crushed every hire other than basketball (no real choice after the tourney run) and football (not really involved though obviously going well).

We are at worst a top 3 job, with strong nil support that will only increase if you have a coach who isn't widely perceived as an asshole.

We're fucking Texas and CDC isn't Patterson.  From what I hear, he's always got a running list and this season didn't come out of nowhere.  He's got his top two guys or his clear number one.  

And if history is an indication, we won't know until right before it happens.  

I trust CDC.

He gets shit done right.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Seems like OTF is the best with baseball info but it's not much. Shit is hard to find for sure.

Kendall would be as likely as the UT $9.95ers to have the inside on baseball.

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, dude seems to have gone full aggy.

Never go full retard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, chase25 said:

Him and Canham are both 39, Canham has 4 years as a HC at the college level and was born on 3rd base with that Oregon State program and has failed to make it to Omaha yet. 

Im not hiring Tulo, but if you are considering Canham, Tulo really isn’t that far fetched

He was hired in 2019 at Oregon St.  During the fucking pandemic.  I don't consider that being born on 3rd base.  Since 2022 his record there is 131-52.  He has also managed three different professional Double A teams.  And the aforementioned Dan Heefner at Dallas Baptist also has a sterling resume.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't Schlossnagle crap all over aggy last year during a live game interview?

And he this in the last week. 

"I didn't leave for a better job, I left for a different job." Schlossnagle told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40239132/texas-baseball-national-powerhouse-grand-expensive-vision

He's got no affinity for that place and didn't he only leave TCU due to a divorce? 

Item of note... UT's women's golf coach has resigned and word is getting out that we are hiring the HC from Arizona as the replacement.

Once again, CDC has his hire lined up before the departure becomes public. It's just how he operates. 

• Like 1

He left TCU because he was banging more than a couple of coeds and his wife said pack up and leave Fort Worth or else.  Now, since then, I don't know the status of their relationship.  But rumor is TCU (private schools are private) had to pay out some scandal money.  Not sure how that would fly with our athletic department.  And he always gets off to jackrabbit starts but he is a well known arm shredder.  His rep is similar to what Wayne Graham's was at Rice.

10 minutes ago, cafe society said:

He left TCU because he was banging more than a couple of coeds and his wife said pack up and leave Fort Worth or else.  Now, since then, I don't know the status of their relationship.  But rumor is TCU (private schools are private) had to pay out some scandal money.  Not sure how that would fly with our athletic department.  And he always gets off to jackrabbit starts but he is a well known arm shredder.  His rep is similar to what Wayne Graham's was at Rice.

Schloss is well known to be a total piece of shit. Not sure why people are creaming their pants over him. He literally agreed to coach for aggy for crying out loud. Do not want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I know Kendall’s tweet was posted in here but this is Pierce’s full answer to Danny’s question for those who are interested 

Context is always important. It is almost like he was blindsided that his job is in any sort of jeopardy. 

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

So we've established that Jim Thrasher is to be ignored

I don't know, I was thinking that we should make a change even if it's a downgrade until I read his extremely profound analysis.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, cafe society said:

He was hired in 2019 at Oregon St.  During the fucking pandemic.  I don't consider that being born on 3rd base.  Since 2022 his record there is 131-52.  He has also managed three different professional Double A teams.  And the aforementioned Dan Heefner at Dallas Baptist also has a sterling resume.

He was born on 3rd base. They were the #1 national seed in 2017 and finished 3rd at Omaha, then won a national title in 2018, made a regional in 2019 and punted on Pat Bailey who was an interim. In comes Canham, you aren’t going to take over a program in a much better situation than that, about as good as it gets.

They started the COVID season 5-9. Since then he has recovered nicely but he has hardly done anything to show that he has his fingerprints all over that Oregon State program.

I don’t have a crystal ball, he may be the next Augie Garrido for all I know, Texas should have their sights set higher than Canham in my personal opinion.

EDIT: If the goal of the next coaching search is to ball on a budget, he is probably the best candidate you will find

Edited by chase25

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Context is always important. It is almost like he was blindsided that his job is in any sort of jeopardy. 

He didn’t know until Balcones texted him what was being said on Surly. 

Surlyhorns: What Starts Here Embarrasses Your Family

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Wayne was banging coeds?

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic