[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For starters:

State of the art hitting lab - LSU has the best hitting lab in the country, so much so MLB players that aren't even affiliated go there to train in the offseason.
State of the art pitching lab - See above but sub Wake Forrest for LSU
Make Texas baseball facilities the premier place for training for Texas players, MLB players, etc. 

Home locker room complete renovation
Player rec hall, trophy room, etc for strictly baseball for recruiting/player ammentities.
Player weight training facility, this could be part of the just mentioned rec hall. 

So maybe something like this?

https://texassports.com/sports/2019/12/10/facilities_0725133242

Texas Baseball officially unveiled its 21,500-square-foot J. Dan Brown Family Player Development Center at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in October 2019.

Texas broke ground on the player development center in September 2018 and it is the first athletics facility on the Forty Acres to be funded solely by donors. The two-story facility features a new weight room, nutrition center, batting cages, bullpen, alumni locker room and office space.

Nearly doubling the size of the Longhorns' previous weight room and consisting of all new equipment, the new sports performance center is just over 3,700 square feet. The room consists of state-of-the-art equipment and a second-story cardio area.

In the heart of the facility is a 5,500-square-foot multi-purpose turf area with adjustable netting for batting cages. An extremely versatile space, it can be configured to have one enclosed area for live at-bats or up to six individual batting cages depending on the situation.

The 2,200-square-foot bullpen and pitching lab includes three mounds and state-of-the-art technology for recording bullpen sessions and breaking down video.

Edited by Balcones
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For starters:

State of the art hitting lab - LSU has the best hitting lab in the country, so much so MLB players that aren't even affiliated go there to train in the offseason.
State of the art pitching lab - See above but sub Wake Forrest for LSU
Make Texas baseball facilities the premier place for training for Texas players, MLB players, etc. 

Home locker room complete renovation
Player rec hall, trophy room, etc for strictly baseball for recruiting/player ammentities.
Player weight training facility, this could be part of the just mentioned rec hall. 

More seating in the outfields for students and create a student oasis of sorts to drive engagement and fun atmosphere for them. Create fun things for them to do pregame instead of just showing up sitting there and cheering(See how much student seating and gameday changes for students has improved our student crowd at DKR) and just for the general fan as well. Make Texas baseball an event, not just a game(Insert old baseball take from boomer here about how it should be about the game).

To that end, Texas owns both sides of Comal Street now, they should close the end of the street next to The Disch, and there's your space not just for new outfield stands, but for a wide concourse with concessions and more out there.

Edited by BachelorTrek

5 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Texas Baseball officially unveiled its 21,500-square-foot J. Dan Brown Family Player Development Center at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in October 2019.

Texas broke ground on the player development center in September 2018 and it is the first athletics facility on the Forty Acres to be funded solely by donors. The two-story facility features a new weight room, nutrition center, batting cages, bullpen, alumni locker room and office space.

Nearly doubling the size of the Longhorns' previous weight room and consisting of all new equipment, the new sports performance center is just over 3,700 square feet. The room consists of state-of-the-art equipment and a second-story cardio area.

In the heart of the facility is a 5,500-square-foot multi-purpose turf area with adjustable netting for batting cages. An extremely versatile space, it can be configured to have one enclosed area for live at-bats or up to six individual batting cages depending on the situation.

The 2,200-square-foot bullpen and pitching lab includes three mounds and state-of-the-art technology for recording bullpen sessions and breaking down video.

6 years ago.....always be updating, no matter what. Not doing so is how you fall behind.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

6 years ago.....always be updating, no matter what. Not doing so is how you fall behind.

It opened less than 5 years ago. 4 years and 7 months to be exact.  

Since then, we have only been to the CWS twice with a top 3 finish.  What we need is fucking BEVO BLVD and GAMING STATIONS to get to the next level.  Get your head out of your ass.

Just now, Balcones said:

It opened less than 5 years ago. 4 years and 7 months to be exact.  

Since then, we have only been to the CWS twice with a top 3 finish.  What we need is fucking BEVO BLVD and GAMING STATIONS to get to the next level.  Get your head out of your ass.

Cool, Aggies remodeled about the same time, they're already upgrading. Good job.

You don't think student engagement and shit will make the atmosphere at Disch better? Honestly? Do you think that? You expect blue hairs and the old fucks out in left field to make a difference in atmosphere? God I've never seena nyone argue for less environment than you. You truly are a perfect match for Pierce because you're a miserable fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Cool, Aggies remodeled about the same time, they're already upgrading. Good job.

You don't think student engagement and shit will make the atmosphere at Disch better? Honestly? Do you think that? You expect blue hairs and the old fucks out in left field to make a difference in atmosphere? God I've never seena nyone argue for less environment than you. You truly are a perfect match for Pierce because you're a miserable fuck.

Do you just make shit up all the time? Aggies remodeled Blue Bell in 2019-2020?

https://wtaw.com/texas-am-system-board-of-regents-approve-a-new-capital-projects-plan-that-includes-an-80-million-dollar-renovation-of-blue-bell-park/

System documents say the first renovations of Blue Bell Park since its opening in 2012, is scheduled to start during the 2025-26 fiscal year. The documents also say the cost will be paid by stadium revenue funds.

Less environment?  You want the Disch to be the Cedar Park HEB center.  No one else wants that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Balcones said:

What the Disch needs is an indoor practice area, our own baseball weight room, improved locker rooms, team meeting area, etc....  That will help us get into the top 15.  

Longhorn Baseball needs a new Head Coach

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Too much.   Simple fix:  tear down I-35 and replace with pedestrian zone.   

I'm not sure of the extent, but there is quite literally a project underway to bury I-35 and cap it with green space.

I think the atmosphere at the Disch is top notch, especially in June. Maybe some of us have forgotten since our stupid fucking coach has put us out on the road the last two postseasons. 

It's the best home crowd we have, with the possible exception of volleyball. Knowledgeable, engaged, loud, intimidating to road opponents. 

Sorry we don't blow bubbles like A&M or do synchronized slow claps like Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I wonder how much being on the other side of I-35 affects student engagement.

There are multiple factors at play;

1) student seating sucks. It is down the LF line into the corner. The Yeti Yard will help but I don't believe that is student-only.

2) Disch Falk Field is about a mile away from the closest dorm and closer to 2 miles or further for those who live in west campus. If you choose to walk, you are crossing 35. If you happen to have access to a car, you are dealing with trying to park around the field.

3) There are about 8-10 home games a year students will truly care about moving forward depending on when we are hosting A&M/OU/Arkansas. You could probably include the generic non-student fan in that assumption as well. It's why I don't believe expanding capacity is necessary. We aren't selling out 80% of home games regardless of how many "tickets were sold".

4) I've been to plenty of games where it's packed, yet the energy felt like it was at 50% capacity. Yes, any stadium in the country is going to have a great atmosphere in a home regional in June. Texas isn't special in that regard. It's the other 99% of games that should be focused on.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

5) it's pretty chilly in the main stands before May

Not that there's anything that can be done about that, but still.

Yeah, and the atmosphere overall around the place isn't helped by the fact it's located next to damn cemetery. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, and the atmosphere overall around the place isn't helped by the fact it's located next to damn cemetery. 

it worked for Clemson's football!!! 

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

2) Disch Falk Field is about a mile away from the closest dorm and closer to 2 miles or further for those who live in west campus. If you choose to walk, you are crossing 35. If you happen to have access to a car, you are dealing with trying to park around the field.

Or you can take the East Campus shuttle that drops off right in front of Disch Falk.

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you happen to have access to a car, you are dealing with trying to park around the field.

Parking way down Comal by the cemetery is part of the charm.  There was nothing like skipping class Tuesday afternoon to go to the Disch...back when we played afternoon midweek games.

• Hook 'Em 1

If CDC wants the students there he has taken the first step.  There are cocktail stations every 30 feet around the stadium.  Make them $5 with a student ID for first 4 innings, and the students will come. 

13 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Or you can take the East Campus shuttle that drops off right in front of Disch Falk.

The one in front of the east campus garage? I read they stopped drop offs an hour or two before first pitch.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

The J Dan Brown facility is pretty great. If you’ve ever been in there it has a great weight room setup and meeting area.

The big upgrades we really need are a much much larger and nicer locker room, much better spaces for team meetings/film/etc. and we need more that shows what Texas baseball is all about. There isn’t enough of that in the facility.

Our hitting and pitching labs though really aren’t much. Just cages and a bullpen with a little bit of tech. We could use more tech in both those spaces. 

It’s a good facility but it needs updates.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ain’t going to happen, maybe go after his top assistant ?

Just a few months after winning the College World Series, Jay Johnson and LSU have agreed on a seven-year, 12.55 million dollar contract extension that'll keep Johnson in Baton Rouge through 2030. 

Yeah, Johnson feels like a pipedream. We would have to pay out the ass, both in salary and in NIL commitments to compare to what he currently has at LSU.

He’s only 3 years in at LSU but maybe he hates it there for some reason and already wants out. That is the only scenario I see that involves him leaving because LSU will pay up.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Aggie football put there stadium beside a pet cemetery.  we all see how that has turned out

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I was a betting man, I believe Vitello is the guy Del Conte will flirt with and see if there is a realistic offer and path to getting him to Austin. I think the fail-safe is Bakich, because Texas could get him for almost half the price that it would take to get Vitello.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

If I was a betting man, I believe Vitello is the guy Del Conte will flirt with and see if there is a realistic offer and path to getting him to Austin. I think the fail-safe is Bakich, because Texas could get him for almost half the price that it would take to get Vitello.

I'm great with that, but wonder how much truth there is to the "bad relationship" rumors from when they were at TCU.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

The J Dan Brown facility is pretty great. If you’ve ever been in there it has a great weight room setup and meeting area.

The big upgrades we really need are a much much larger and nicer locker room, much better spaces for team meetings/film/etc. and we need more that shows what Texas baseball is all about. There isn’t enough of that in the facility.

Our hitting and pitching labs though really aren’t much. Just cages and a bullpen with a little bit of tech. We could use more tech in both those spaces. 

It’s a good facility but it needs updates.

Proof is in the pudding, as they say …

• Hook 'Em 1

whoever it is we bring I hope they light a fire under the BMD and Admin and demand more.

It's no different from football under Mack Brown, we started winning and started lacking in facilities because of the "We're Texas" they'll come because of our tradition and legacy. 

Facilities became outdated and it put us behind the 8-Ball big time, while everyone else was building. We need to get out in front of this rather its Pierce or anyone else.

If they are waiting on a coach still in the tournament then they probably don’t want to let Pierce go now because that action opens the portal, right? Maybe I’m mistaken. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

If they are waiting on a coach still in the tournament then they probably don’t want to let Pierce go now because that action opens the portal, right? Maybe I’m mistaken. 

The portal is wide open right now for anyone on any team. Closes July 2nd.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

More seating in the outfields for students and create a student oasis of sorts to drive engagement and fun atmosphere for them. Create fun things for them to do pregame instead of just showing up sitting there and cheering(See how much student seating and gameday changes for students has improved our student crowd at DKR) and just for the general fan as well. Make Texas baseball an event, not just a game(Insert old baseball take from boomer here about how it should be about the game).Obviously the outfield seating issue may be that is out of our control because roads but you can do the same down either of the lines, most likely the visitor side.

Maybe it has gotten better, but back when I was a season ticketholder, I'd see more students at a game in San Marcos than I'd see the whole season at the Disch.  

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe it has gotten better, but back when I was a season ticketholder, I'd see more students at a game in San Marcos than I'd see the whole season at the Disch.  

Was that vs Texas, or vs a generic Sun Belt-ish opponent?

9 minutes ago, petscii said:

Was that vs Texas, or vs a generic Sun Belt-ish opponent?

True of pretty much any game.  Texas State baseball really draws students extremely well, without really doing anything obvious to cater to them. 

5 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

To that end, Texas owns both sides of Comal Street now, they should close the end of the street next to The Disch, and there's your space not just for new outfield stands, but for a wide concourse with concessions and more out there.

City owns Comal St. though and there lies the problem. 

The University already wants to take the left field scoreboard down and move it behind  stands to be built there behind the left field wall. The University owns the property that DF sits on and the grassy area before the tennis courts and of course the tennis center. COA right now wants to keep that road that is between them and is being a pain in the ass about closing it even though all it serves as of right now is an extra driveway to the parking garage.  

50 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

City owns Comal St. though and there lies the problem. 

The University already wants to take the left field scoreboard down and move it behind  stands to be built there behind the left field wall. The University owns the property that DF sits on and the grassy area before the tennis courts and of course the tennis center. COA right now wants to keep that road that is between them and is being a pain in the ass about closing it even though all it serves as of right now is an extra driveway to the parking garage.  

Seems to me that the BOR/Mr. Eltife needs to FLEX once more, and tell the COA what they need to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic