[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe it has gotten better, but back when I was a season ticketholder, I'd see more students at a game in San Marcos than I'd see the whole season at the Disch.  

It’s the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

City owns Comal St. though and there lies the problem. 

The University already wants to take the left field scoreboard down and move it behind  stands to be built there behind the left field wall. The University owns the property that DF sits on and the grassy area before the tennis courts and of course the tennis center. COA right now wants to keep that road that is between them and is being a pain in the ass about closing it even though all it serves as of right now is an extra driveway to the parking garage.  

I don’t want outfield seating at all. It will be empty all season

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t want outfield seating at all. It will be empty all season

I tend to agree. Maybe make a nice left field hangout area because that’s kind of tradition, add to the yeti experience. Build a huge facility for various things for recruiting/etc with video board, roof top things being part of the construction and in right field more facility areas? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, Johnson feels like a pipedream. We would have to pay out the ass, both in salary and in NIL commitments to compare to what he currently has at LSU.

He’s only 3 years in at LSU but maybe he hates it there for some reason and already wants out. That is the only scenario I see that involves him leaving because LSU will pay up.

No concerns about putting up a 13-17 conf record with the biggest nil in the game?

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ain’t going to happen, maybe go after his top assistant ?

Just a few months after winning the College World Series, Jay Johnson and LSU have agreed on a seven-year, 12.55 million dollar contract extension that'll keep Johnson in Baton Rouge through 2030. 

image.gif.69797da28eca72280095345527af64d8.gif

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

No concerns about putting up a 13-17 conf record with the biggest nil in the game?

Not really. If we are looking for a coach who has never had a down season in his career we are never going to find one.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not really. If we are looking for a coach who has never had a down season in his career we are never going to find one.

I liked how he built up Arizona.  I'm not sure how to draw conclusions from his time at lsu with his marucci edge.  I'm pissed any time Texas has a losing conference record in baseball.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m sure that LSU championship was great coaching and not due to the best player in college baseball

Is getting great players not part of the job? Do you think we didn’t want Skenes?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Pierce would have never won a title with Skenes

I don’t agree with that actually. That team would have been incredible with Skenes in there, especially if we had him hitting. He didn’t want to do that though for obvious reasons.

Money didn’t have to be the determining factor for a player with Skenes’ talent and ML draft future.

Once he chose to leave USAFA, a reasonable argument can be made he wanted to take one shot at a NC at a top program before cashing in on a ML contract.  LSU was a good choice.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:
2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t agree with that actually. That team would have been incredible with Skenes in there, especially if we had him hitting. He didn’t want to do that though for obvious reasons.

Pierce would coach being the 1st overall pick out of him. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We just couldn’t match their bid.  

Maybe. Maybe he didn’t want to come here. Either way he played for Johnson not Pierce. Part of the job is getting the best players. You don’t get to discount a coach because his teams too good. Mack still has a title.

Edited by hobbes2702

26 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Money didn’t have to be the determining factor for a player with Skenes’ talent and ML draft future.

Once he chose to leave USAFA, a reasonable argument can be made he wanted to take one shot at a NC at a top program before cashing in on a ML contract.  LSU was a good choice.

that lsu team was stacked 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So does Jimbo

And I bet FSU is pretty glad they had the guy.

Im not sure what argument you think you’re making here. Jay Johnson has as many CWS appearances as DP and also has a ring.

”well he had the best player…” yea, that seems like a good strategy to me.

Edited by hobbes2702

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I tend to agree. Maybe make a nice left field hangout area because that’s kind of tradition, add to the yeti experience. Build a huge facility for various things for recruiting/etc with video board, roof top things being part of the construction and in right field more facility areas? 

Maybe put video gaming stations out there? 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When compared to Jay Johnson’s actual national championship, no. 

Ok but you were comparing it to Jimbo's fake national championship and implying they were equal.

It looks like years 3 and 4 at Arizona were substantially worse than years 1 and 2.  Year 1 was the best while year 4 was the worst.

”Johnson's fourth season in 2019 produced one of the highest-scoring offenses in the nation, a fourth-straight winning season, and a winning conference record. Arizona ended the 2019 campaign with a 32-24 record and a 15-14 mark in Pac-12 play. The club finished the year on a 10-game win streak and came away victorious in 13 of their last 14 games.”

Since the offense was high scoring, I assume the pitching was not so good.

At LSU he had Crews and bought White and Skenes.  This year he didn’t make it out of the regional.  In year 1 at LSU, they improved 2.5 games over the prior year.  In the 2023 draft in the top 100 picks, there was Skenes, Crews, Floyd, Taylor and Morgan from LSU.  As best I can tell, Skenes is the only one Johnson brought in.  Looking at the numbers, it’s difficult to say how much Johnson positively influenced them, and you can throw White in there too.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

It looks like years 3 and 4 at Arizona were substantially worse than years 1 and 2.  Year 1 was the best while year 4 was the worst.

”Johnson's fourth season in 2019 produced one of the highest-scoring offenses in the nation, a fourth-straight winning season, and a winning conference record. Arizona ended the 2019 campaign with a 32-24 record and a 15-14 mark in Pac-12 play. The club finished the year on a 10-game win streak and came away victorious in 13 of their last 14 games.”

Since the offense was high scoring, I assume the pitching was not so good.

At LSU he had Crews and bought White and Skenes.  This year he didn’t make it out of the regional.  In year 1 at LSU, they improved 2.5 games over the prior year.  In the 2023 draft in the top 100 picks, there was Skenes, Crews, Floyd, Taylor and Morgan from LSU.  As best I can tell, Skenes is the only one Johnson brought in.  Looking at the numbers, it’s difficult to say how much Johnson positively influenced them, and you can throw White in there too.

After 2019 is when he brought in Yeskie from Oregon State. That’s another thing about Johnson that is elite. He assembles very high level staffs. Three of his assistants at LSU are already P5 head coaches.

He is far and way one of the best recruiters in the country, even if you remove some of the NIL advantages he has. He is relentless on the recruiting trail. We bitch and moan about the talent level on this roster. Johnson would change that in a hurry. It may not equate to Omaha every year but we won’t have dudes throwing 86 out of the bullpen in high leverage spots.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)

On the topic of the importance of coaches, people put way to much of an emphasis on the impact they have in the postseason, at the end of the day your best players perform or they don't. That is why when I look at guys like Bakich it concerns me way more that he hasn't won a conference title in 15 seasons as a HC than him only having 1 CWS appearance.

Managers have much more control over what happens during the course of a 56 game regular season than they do in a double elimination tournament. Chase Burns and Hagen Smith are going to be for sure top 10 picks and probably even top 5 picks and not only did neither make it out of a regional, Wake Forest and Arkansas lost the games they started. Only so much you can do as a manager, making a run in the postseason takes quite a bit of luck.

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, chase25 said:

On the topic of the importance of coaches, people put way to much of an emphasis on the impact they have in the postseason, at the end of the day your best players perform or they don't. That is why when I look at guys like Bakich it concerns me way more that he hasn't won a conference title in 15 seasons as a HC than him only having 1 CWS appearance.

Managers have much more control over what happens during the course of a 56 game regular season than they do in a double elimination tournament. Chase Burns and Hagen Smith are going to be for sure top 10 picks and probably even top 5 picks and not only did neither make it out of a regional, Wake Forest and Arkansas lost the games they started. Only so much you can do as a manager, making a run in the postseason takes quite a bit of luck.

Once you have a mastery of fundamentals, then it’s situational awareness then it’s focus and execution. The process of teaching fundamentals and the ability to execute in the moment reliably when your opponent is doing everything they can to prevent you from doing so is a function of talent, mental ability, dedication and coaching. To say coaching is over emphasized is a fair point it is - think of yelling at the play call in football - but the coaching staff is integral to developing the skills needed to be able to take advantage of the opportunity and the “luck” as it’s presented.

20 minutes ago, troph said:

Always fun to be bored out of my mind the last 2-3 weeks of college baseball season. 

It's still entertaining.  Less stressful too.

Mingione wouldn't be a bad outcome. He's 45 and should be gettable. In 7 years at Kentucky he started hot-getting to a super in year one before struggling for a few years and then rebuilt to the #2 overall seed

I fear that Schloss will flirt with us just to fuck up our search and give aggy something to crow about

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic