[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

How often are historic baseball programs like Michigan and Maryland making CWS trips?

Clemson has only 12 CWS appearances in 100+ years of baseball, 2010 being the last year.

Michigan has 2 tournament championships(1953 and 1962). They have 1 runner up finish in 2019 under Bakich. Michigan has only appeared in 8 CWS with a large gap between 1984(second to last appearance) and 2019(their last appearance)

Maryland has no CWS appearances in their programs history. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This thread is funny. Bakich just got swept at home in the super regional by a massive underdog. 

Florida is one of the most talented teams in the country, it was just a matter of if they were going to put it together in time. They barely did and now are reaping the rewards.

It wasn't like Clemson lost to Evansville. Florida was the preseason #2 team in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We went through this same song and dance in football. Did Steve Sarkisian have a better resume than Tom Herman at the time of his hire? No, but the traits were there and the vision was in place to maximize those traits at a place like Texas.

The exact same thing could be said for Bakich, although he's plenty of success at schools that just use baseball as a stopgap until football season.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Florida is one of the most talented teams in the country, it was just a matter of if they were going to put it together in time. They barely did and now are reaping the rewards.

It wasn't like Clemson lost to Evansville. Florida was the preseason #2 team in the country.

Not to mention that it is looking highly likely that 5 of 8 CWS teams are from SEC, the same conference of Florida. That SEC baseball schedule is a grind and could make some teams be deceiving. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

How often are historic baseball programs like Michigan and Maryland making CWS trips?

Only 11 schools have been to the CWS more than Clemson.  12 times.  

Only 18 schools have been to the CWS more than Michigan. 8 times.

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Balcones said:

Only 11 schools have been to the CWS more than Clemson.  12 times.  

Only 18 schools have been to the CWS more than Michigan. 8 times.

Michigan has been 1 time in the last 40 years. I know we like to always like to take pride about what Texas did in the 50's, 60's and 70's but the entire tournament field was like 16 teams back in that day.

1999 is when super regionals were added and the field was expanded to 64 teams. That is about as important a change as college baseball has seen. Since that time (25 years), Michigan has been to one CWS and Clemson has been to 4. Texas has been 11 times (well below our 50% historical average actually now that I see that).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Michigan has been 1 time in the last 40 years. I know we like to always like to take pride about what Texas did in the 50's, 60's and 70's but the entire tournament field was like 16 teams back in that day.

1999 is when super regionals were added and the field was expanded to 64 teams. That is about as important a change as college baseball has seen. Since that time (25 years), Michigan has been to one CWS and Clemson has been to 4. Texas has been 11 times (well below our 50% historical average actually now that I see that).

You are spinning too fast for yourself to keep up.

You sarcastically refer to them as historic programs and then tell us not to pay attention to the history?  Then pull some aggy bullshit and pick a random year to now say this is when it really matters?  JFC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

39 minutes ago, Balcones said:

You are spinning too fast for yourself to keep up.

You sarcastically refer to them as historic programs and then tell us not to pay attention to the history?  Then pull some aggy bullshit and pick a random year to now say this is when it really matters?  JFC.

Do you consider USC baseball an elite job?

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

This thread is funny. Bakich just got swept at home in the super regional by a massive underdog. 

Come on man keep going! Make a prediction. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck it, just keep Pierce for one more season

This is the only answer that makes sense. See what he can do in the SEC and keep the recruiting class together. It makes 0 sense to fire him right now. 

• Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some of y'all need to just shut the fuck up.  or you actively hate the program, I can't tell.  Or David Pierce visits you at night to blow you so you're convinced he should keep his job

His record against SEC teams is ass.  we already know what he can do. 

Look at what Florida just did. Terrible season. But they got hot at the right time & now they’re packing their bags for Omaha. Pierce reliably gets us to the dance every year, if you’re in there you have a shot.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Look at what Florida just did. Terrible season. But they got hot at the right time & now they’re packing their bags for Omaha. Pierce reliably gets us to the dance every year, if you’re in there you have a shot.

Texas was outscored 34-11 in two of his appearances with 5 run game being the closest in those appearances. That is about as non competitive as you can get and down right embarrassing. Let me put into a perspective you might understand. It's like the valley HS football teams you root for that go 3 rounds deep and get shit on by a SA team, every so many years they may beat the SA team and make it 4 rounds deep in playoffs just go get curb stomped by Austin area school. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is the only answer that makes sense. See what he can do in the SEC and keep the recruiting class together. It makes 0 sense to fire him right now. 

No fucking way. He is in year 8. 100% of roster are his recruits, program is declining. Texas gains nothing for one more year of him as HC. 

I trust a new hire to hit ground running with recruiting vs a lame duck coach in Pierce going onto SEC. 

I know being a contrarian is your thing but come on. If you are actually a fan of Texas Baseball you cannot believe letting Pierce “run it back” is a good move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

No fucking way. He is in year 8. 100% of roster are his recruits, program is declining. Texas gains nothing for one more year of him as HC. 

I trust a new hire to hit ground running with recruiting vs a lame duck coach in Pierce going onto SEC. 

I know being a contrarian is your thing but come on. If you are actually a fan of Texas Baseball you cannot believe letting Pierce “run it back” is a good move. 

It’s much less of a “I believe Pierce is the guy” and more of a “there’s literally no good options out there for a replacement”.  

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s much less of a “I believe Pierce is the guy” and more of a “there’s literally no good options out there for a replacement”.  

There are at least 3-4 guys who are better options now than Pierce was at the time of his hiring. This argument is shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Such a stupid take.

What changes in one year? Assuming we have another mediocre season and we decide to finally fire Pierce, what candidate out there now needs just one more season to prove himself?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Hire slow, fire quick

The guy has shown his stripes.

The game has passed him up. It'll only get tougher.

He's reached his peak and is on the downslide. Anything that keeps him here is a just setting the program back..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chase25 said:

Do you consider USC baseball an elite job?

No.  But they should be pissed because historically they are elite.  Right?

The amount of twisting and turning is quite high on this thread.

Take Bakich.  Got some great stuff on the resume.  But he got swept in the super.  He also skated by the mighty High Point by 1 run in the regional.  Also beat Coastal Carolina by 1.  Go look at their non-conference schedule.  I guess Xavier is badass cause other than midweeks versus UGa and KSU, it’s weak.  As to his Michigan World Series appearance is that a one time event or spectacular coaching?

Johnson.  As referenced previously, his best year at Zona was probably year 1.  Year 4 was very mediocre.  This year at LSU was mediocre for their standards.  LSU seems to be the #1 program in terms of NIL.

Vitello.  Did he lose to Tenn Tech or USF to allow us to walk into the CWS?  Is he 0-1 versus Pierce in the CWS?  On the surface from a program development standpoint, he’s the best option.

I’ve read here that our atmosphere and facilities are not top 10.  Our NIL is clearly very good but also clearly not the best.  It’s been stated certain transfers have preferred the SEC and presumably the ACC.  I’d assume for incoming frosh this is similar.  So we should expect a top 5 program because of our history but other programs histories are irrelevant because.

There is a leveling of the playing field in joining the SEC that Pierce has not had the privilege of that every SEC coach currently enjoys.  And that the ACC does to a lesser extent.

History does matter.  But it is a very different era than what Gus dealt with.  And different from Augie too.  Many fans ignore that except when it fits their narrative.

There are likely better fits than Pierce, but the resumes will not necessarily reflect that.  Game management won’t be markedly different.  It’s more the behind the scenes stuff that make the fit better, but it’s also this stuff that the typical fan doesn’t really know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas was outscored 34-11 in two of his appearances with 5 run game being the closest in those appearances. That is about as non competitive as you can get and down right embarrassing. Let me put into a perspective you might understand. It's like the valley HS football teams you root for that go 3 rounds deep and get shit on by a SA team, every so many years they may beat the SA team and make it 4 rounds deep in playoffs just go get curb stomped by Austin area school. 

Vitello is 1-4 in Omaha.  Outscored 29-13, with two shutouts.  Hell, David Pierce sent his ass home in 2021.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

SI doing the work for anyone who wants to see Pierce coach against the SEC next year

Versus The SEC

Pierce took over as head coach in 2017 and has since coached over 550 games of baseball, the majority against Big 12 opponents. The SEC, however, is a different beast. Five of the last six national champions have come from the conference, and four of the final eight super regionals this year were hosted by SEC schools. This is the best conference in college baseball, without question.

So how has Pierce faired in games against these teams?

Well since 2017, Texas has played 43 times, roughly a conference regular season’s worth of games. Of those 43 games, Texas won just 16 of them, good for a 37% winning percentage. If an SEC team won 37% of its conference games in 2024, it would be ranked 11th out of 14 teams and missed the postseason. David Pierce-led Texas teams have struggled mightily against SEC competition, and concerns of them facing off against the best of the best in 2024 are valid.

honey boo boo thumbs down GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Vitello is 1-4 in Omaha.  Outscored 29-13, with two shutouts.  Hell, David Pierce sent his ass home in 2021.  

cool David Pierce us 60+ years old and washed while Vitello is 45. Vitellos career is just beginning and is WAAAAAY more successful than Pierce was at the time of his hiring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

cool David Pierce us 60+ years old and washed while Vitello is 45. Vitellos career is just beginning and is WAAAAAY more successful than Pierce was at the time of his hiring. 

Keep trying. Balcones is bound to come around at some point. 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Stick with the age narrative then.  It is irrelevant whatever Pierce was at the time of his hiring.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Stick with the age narrative then.  It is irrelevant whatever Pierce was at the time of his hiring.

In my research only 3 coaches over the age of 60 have won a national title. It’s not irrelevant what Pierce was at time of hiring. In fact it’s important to note he never made it out of a regional then. Especially when people are trying to diminish a Vitello or Bakich who are far more successful coaches than Pierce was at time of hiring. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

SI doing the work for anyone who wants to see Pierce coach against the SEC next year

Versus The SEC

Pierce took over as head coach in 2017 and has since coached over 550 games of baseball, the majority against Big 12 opponents. The SEC, however, is a different beast. Five of the last six national champions have come from the conference, and four of the final eight super regionals this year were hosted by SEC schools. This is the best conference in college baseball, without question.

So how has Pierce faired in games against these teams?

Well since 2017, Texas has played 43 times, roughly a conference regular season’s worth of games. Of those 43 games, Texas won just 16 of them, good for a 37% winning percentage. If an SEC team won 37% of its conference games in 2024, it would be ranked 11th out of 14 teams and missed the postseason. David Pierce-led Texas teams have struggled mightily against SEC competition, and concerns of them facing off against the best of the best in 2024 are valid.

honey boo boo thumbs down GIF

I see why SI is in the shitter. David Pierce is 297-162 at Texas, how does that add up to over 550 games? They also have not played 43 games against the SEC and he has more than 16 wins.

The record isn't good, but does it hurt to maybe run a Google check before publishing an article online?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I see why SI is in the shitter. David Pierce is 297-162 at Texas, how does that add up to over 550 games? They also have not played 43 games against the SEC and he has more than 16 wins.

The record isn't good, but does it hurt to maybe run a Google check before publishing an article online?

It’s like 21-34 or something like that. It’s 10 games below .500

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yes, socal is one of the deepest talent pools in the nation 

It is not an elite job, USC has abandoned that program and they just put the final nail in its coffin with their move to the B1G. Times change and what Rod Dedeaux did in the 1960s and 1970s is irrelevant to today.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s like 21-34 or something like that. It’s 10 games below .500

19-27 is what my quick math says.

Again, not good. But if Sports Illustrated is going to have their name attached to something, you would think it would have been fact-checked before.

These threads become so unbelievably devoid of context it is amazing.

Tennessee hadn’t made the NCAA tournament in 13 years when Vitello took that job… Comparing anything he has done at Tennessee to what Pierce has done at Texas is so disingenuous it isn’t even funny.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

19-27 is what my quick math says.

Again, not good. But if Sports Illustrated is going to have their name attached to something, you would think it would have been fact-checked before.

17-20 on the weekend and in the NCAA tournament which is probably the most fair assessment. Not going to hold the midweek games against him. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

In my research only 3 coaches over the age of 60 have won a national title. It’s not irrelevant what Pierce was at time of hiring. In fact it’s important to note he never made it out of a regional then. Especially when people are trying to diminish a Vitello or Bakich who are far more successful coaches than Pierce was at time of hiring. 

I think age is relevant.  I wouldn’t hire someone on the verge of 60 and not overly inclined at 50+.  Pierce at the time of his hiring would probably be the oldest you’d want to hire.

My points are that you are knocking one guy for actual accomplishments when there’s similar data available for your alternatives.  Then picking and choosing when history starts.

It has not been discussed here, but it’s a valid question and one people likely have no clue about.  But Texas (43) high end talent trails CA (79) and FL (67) and is closer to GA (39) than those two.  That was from an article in 2020 from the prior decade about 1st round picks in the draft.  I suspect that held since 2020 too.  That talent is not going to be drawn to the Big 12.  We will acknowledge that in football but ignore it here.

I don’t know the answer as to how impactful it is, but that’s one of the most important questions here.  How limiting was the Big 12 in getting players here?  I’m quite confident in saying LSU wins nothing without Paul Skenes.  Hell, LSU got a top talent from the ACC.  Why would a guy like Skenes (or White) take less money to play in the Big 12 over the SEC or the ACC?  That’s the type of player we should have more access to now.  And you were the one introducing facilities and atmosphere.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Clemson was -150 for the series.   Favored yes, not massive by any stretch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chase25 said:

17-20 on the weekend and in the NCAA tournament which is probably the most fair assessment. Not going to hold the midweek games against him. 

I’d agree with this.  People didn’t judge Augie on early season or non-conference success.  He’s judged on his national championship efforts.  Now you compile a ton of wins on the road to this.  As Texas coach, I always felt he was preparing his teams for that final push.  

If we only dogpile in Omaha, those are not won on the backs of mid week games.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

No fucking way with Pierce’s roster construction . He has gaping holes every year. Florida is one of the most talented teams in the nation. Texas, is not. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic