[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

21 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We need to get the new coach hired so we can start a fire him thread

No, we need to hire a new coach so we can focus solely on a new basketball coach. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HTXfan said:

Everyone wants to focus on the "top 10" big names, but history would show that is not necessarily the best route to take if you want to win big and the CWS.  For at least the past 50 years, the only coaches who have taken a team to the CWS and then moved to another team and won the CWS with their new team are Paul Manieri (ND then won at LSU), Andy Lopez (Cal State DH then won at Pepperdine and Arizona), Jay Johnson (AZ then LSU) and Garrido (CSF then UT).

Also, today the top names are generally already at schools where they are

1) winning big and have established their programs and assistant coaching rosters the way they want to run them

2) have significant fan, NIL and administration support

3) are in the Big 2 conferences SEC and ACC, and

4) are being paid very well (with a few exceptions) so very tough to money whip them.

Convincing one of them to leave is difficult unless there are other outside circumstances such as Schloss leaving TCU for Aggy.

Guys who have won and are considered high-level coaches such as Corbin, OConnor, Vitello, Jarrett, Schlossnagle (when he was hired by TCU), Lemonis and Tadlock were more like the guys mentioned in the above post.  These guys are young, respected in the baseball community and will likely end up being guys who coach a team in the future that is competing for national championships.

I know UT fans look at the history of the program and athletic resources and convince themselves that anyone would jump at the chance to move to UT, but I don't think that is necessarily the case in the current college baseball landscape.  Maybe we end up getting one of the "top" guys but if the search is being done with the input of very good baseball people dialed in to college baseball, we should be able to get a coach who won't initially wow the fan and alumni base but could end up being great for the program long term.

Just one example - Link Jarrett had only been a head coach at UNCG for 6 or 7 years and only made one regional. Most college baseball fans had probably never heard of him. However, he was very highly respected in college coaching circles.  When ND hired him they were an ACC bottom dweller.  In his first year at ND (excluding Covid year where they were in 1st in the ACC when the season was cancelled) they lost in the final Super Regional game to the eventual CWS champion and then the next year went to the CWS.  Now he has Florida State in the CWS in his second year there.

If CDC and his guys look hard enough, there are likely one or more Link Jarrett types out there if they can't get a big name coach.

Thank you for your application Mr Jarrett. Your hiring pitch was very well written, with excellent punctuation and grammar. The University will get back to you.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Update from OB baseball writer. Not much new but reiterates the decision to fire Pierce was made long ago and outlines why.

Tony Vitello - enquired about Maserati Tony again and was told that while he may very well be the guy, there is no one that believes he is leaving Tennessee. His agent Sexton, who is currently negotiating a contract extension loves the fact that Texas and Vitello are being mentioned though.

The Sexton angle here is very interesting.

During the Sark assistant hirings there were murmurs here that his son was updating wikipedia when hires were getting finalized behind the scenes.

Somebody smarter than me can check the IP address location of the recent wiki changes saying Vitello was the new Texas head coach. 

Screenshots of the Sark hires and discussion from 2021 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240611_184708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.56c213a07e7b9661989a99982b977488.jpg

Screenshot_20240611_184551_Chrome.thumb.jpg.455c27e8ce9eb5679fb647a6490ce3b4.jpg

24 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The Sexton angle here is very interesting.

During the Sark assistant hirings there were murmurs here that his son was updating wikipedia when hires were getting finalized behind the scenes.

Somebody smarter than me can check the IP address location of the recent wiki changes saying Vitello was the new Texas head coach. 

Screenshots of the Sark hires and discussion from 2021 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20240611_184708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.56c213a07e7b9661989a99982b977488.jpg

Screenshot_20240611_184551_Chrome.thumb.jpg.455c27e8ce9eb5679fb647a6490ce3b4.jpg

At this point I'll take anything....

@derpyhorndog look into the above as well as flights. Thanks

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Thank you for your application Mr Jarrett. Your hiring pitch was very well written, with excellent punctuation and grammar. The University will get back to you.  

It was just trying to show a specific example of what has happened recently with "under the radar guys".  I could have also added an anecdote about highly thought of and experienced assistant coaches being hired and doing well out of the gate such as Wes Johnson moving to Georgia this year.

Jarrett is from Tallahassee, played and coached at FSU and is in a good situation there.  Highly unlikely he would entertain an offer from somewhere else.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

At this point I'll take anything....

@derpyhorndog look into the above as well as flights. Thanks

The ISP location (of whoever updated Tony’s wiki page to Texas) was Starkville, MS. Looks like his son, James Sexton III, went to Ole Miss — but he should be long graduated at this point. So I don’t think the ISP location supports the “bread crumb” theory, unless big Jimmy has some Starkville connection I’m not aware of (the fact he used to rep Mullen is stale).

11 hours ago, HTXfan said:

It was just trying to show a specific example of what has happened recently with "under the radar guys".  I could have also added an anecdote about highly thought of and experienced assistant coaches being hired and doing well out of the gate such as Wes Johnson moving to Georgia this year.

Jarrett is from Tallahassee, played and coached at FSU and is in a good situation there.  Highly unlikely he would entertain an offer from somewhere else.

This is why I mentioned Chris Fetter in the HC Wish list thread. I personally think he was the driving force behind that Michigan run to the CWS title series, and he’s done a nice job with the Tigers’ pitching staff since he moved on. Think him leaving was a big part of Michigan taking a step back for Bakich before left Clemson. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

From a X account that covers Texas independently. 5k followers. Anybody know their history of accuracy on Texas sports?

but with over 1k follows. Borderline "meh" for any account that has any real sources, but not terrible. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

From a X account that covers Texas independently. 5k followers. Anybody know their history of accuracy on Texas sports?

We all know what happened the last time CDC hired a coach over a coffee and an egg mcmuffin. 

You know, I understand the anxiety over seeing what appear to be high quality transfers announced for aggy...

But it's surely better to concentrate on getting the right guy to take over the Head Coach job. Let him choose and recruit the players he wants. I'm fairly certain we have more than one candidate for the HC job coaching in Omaha and that they don't all want exactly the same group of transfers. 

We're sitting at about two weeks from time to celebrate or start planning suicidal behaviors. 

Hook'em.

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You know, I understand the anxiety over seeing what appear to be high quality transfers announced for aggy...

But it's surely better to concentrate on getting the right guy to take over the Head Coach job. Let him choose and recruit the players he wants. I'm fairly certain we have more than one candidate for the HC job coaching in Omaha and that they don't all want exactly the same group of transfers. 

We're sitting at about two weeks from time to celebrate or start planning suicidal behaviors. 

Hook'em.

college baseball has become a year to year roster. Get busy portal’ing or get busy dying !

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

lot of top hc’s about to get extensions / raises 

Bunch of loser coaches going to claim they got contacted by Texas for a raise.

• Like 2

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

college baseball has become a year to year roster. Get busy portal’ing or get busy dying !

More important to have the right HC. Worst case is all the Players are gone for this year, and it we need a year to catch up.

I'll take the best Coach over the best Players, all day, every day. Better to have both, of course, and the structure of portalization does not prevent us from starting two weeks late and still recruiting well.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

More important to have the right HC. Worst case is all the Players are gone for this year, and it we need a year to catch up.

I'll take the best Coach over the best Players, all day, every day. Better to have both, of course, and the structure of portalization does not prevent us from starting two weeks late and still recruiting well.

There’s an old saying in baseball, when players hit the ball, make the pitches and catches … coaches look really smart 

I’m ready for the new season 😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Just got an email that it’s being announced that Mr Wonderful is coming to Texas. I thought they meant Tony V.
Huge let down to find out it was about a pittbull 

I was told they were the same thing?

41 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Just got an email that it’s being announced that Mr Wonderful is coming to Texas. I thought they meant Tony V.

pitbull for pitching coach !

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Mister Worldwide?

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

This is correct.  The rght coach will be here for 15-20 years.  Choose the right portal player and they will be here 2 years max.

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic