[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

The moral of the story: if CDC's was able to keep the name of the new swim coach from leaking through his personal assistant who is married to an ex UT swimmer, I trust his abilities to make other hires without leaking info as well

I def feel like this is just his MO

I don't think Schaefer or Mike White were on the radar as far as candidates and then both were hired like

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I recently learned firsthand to never believe any rumors about Texas coaching hires while CDC is the AD, no matter how many people claim to have a "reliable inside source". Explanation: I swam for Texas, and one of my teammates (who was one of my groomsmen in my wedding) is now married to CDC's personal assistant. During the UT swim program's recent head coach hiring process, I figured I was in position to get all the inside info and/or leaks before the official announcement was made. I read lots of "insider source" rumors on various college swimming message boards, but each time I checked with my buddy his response was basically "I haven't heard a single word about any of it. I wouldn't risk my wife's job by telling you the name if I knew it, but I swear I don't even know the name". And sure enough, once the official announcement was made (Bowman) was not one of the 2-3 names I had been hearing from those "insider source" rumors. The moral of the story: if CDC's was able to keep the name of the new swim coach from leaking through his personal assistant who is married to an ex UT swimmer, I trust his abilities to make other hires without leaking info as well. This actually makes me sad, because I used to love reading into the rumors and getting fired up, but that fairy tale is over for me. On the flip side of that: the fact that CDC was able to hire a swim coach 2 days after he won a national championship for another school gives me great confidence that he's not going to swing and miss on this hire. I agree with all that have said the silence thus far is a great sign. He'll make the announcement once he has his guy, so I tend to agree that his guy is probably in Omaha. 

Tell Ricky to give up the goods. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I recently learned firsthand to never believe any rumors about Texas coaching hires while CDC is the AD, no matter how many people claim to have a "reliable inside source". Explanation: I swam for Texas, and one of my teammates (who was one of my groomsmen in my wedding) is now married to CDC's personal assistant. During the UT swim program's recent head coach hiring process, I figured I was in position to get all the inside info and/or leaks before the official announcement was made. I read lots of "insider source" rumors on various college swimming message boards, but each time I checked with my buddy his response was basically "I haven't heard a single word about any of it. I wouldn't risk my wife's job by telling you the name if I knew it, but I swear I don't even know the name". And sure enough, once the official announcement was made (Bowman) was not one of the 2-3 names I had been hearing from those "insider source" rumors. The moral of the story: if CDC's was able to keep the name of the new swim coach from leaking through his personal assistant who is married to an ex UT swimmer, I trust his abilities to make other hires without leaking info as well. This actually makes me sad, because I used to love reading into the rumors and getting fired up, but that fairy tale is over for me. On the flip side of that: the fact that CDC was able to hire a swim coach 2 days after he won a national championship for another school gives me great confidence that he's not going to swing and miss on this hire. I agree with all that have said the silence thus far is a great sign. He'll make the announcement once he has his guy, so I tend to agree that his guy is probably in Omaha. 

It may make you sad that he can keep a lid on negotiations for a new coach, but it is exactly what we need.  Really glad we have this guy running the show as he seems to have his shit together.  Even if it means we have to wait in the dark for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

CDC actively seeks counsel from outside of the UT circle of influence from trusted and independent subject matter experts. Someone would have to be very good friends with one of those types to know much when an actual search is being conducted. 

13 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Haven't heard anything, and a lot of the players, including the #1 starter are shutting down portal talk. I know Bakich isn't well thought of on the Surl, but he has a lot of people excited in Clemson. 

Plenty of people would be excited about Bakich. Thanks for the update on the Clemson end. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CDC actively seeks counsel from outside of the UT circle of influence from trusted and independent subject matter experts. Someone would have to be very good friends with one of those types to know much when an actual search is being conducted. 

wow we have a legit CEO engaged in a legit hiring process for his program chiefs.  founded in 1883, just now getting to best practices. imagine that.

Edited by troph

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.1890bcadef636d2bf0b0b9dd260167b8.png

I volunteer to skip the phone call and go in person to confirm availability at those two. Just give me the official surly credit card to book the flight.

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.1890bcadef636d2bf0b0b9dd260167b8.png

Just checked my JP McD app for this since they have all kinds of things randomly appear on the menu.

Yes, Spicy Chicken McNuggets have returned for spring-summer, even in combos:

Screenshot_20240613_111042_McDonaldsJP.thumb.jpg.1cf8b18b2c970e29fba1a0b845530183.jpgScreenshot_20240613_112012_McDonaldsJP.thumb.jpg.545cefc7edbc6cc8b2d1ff6f8e832a9b.jpg

But no McRib listings.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BachelorTrek said:

Just checked my JP McD app for this since they have all kinds of things randomly appear on the menu.

Yes, Spicy Chicken McNuggets have returned for spring-summer, even in combos:

Screenshot_20240613_111042_McDonaldsJP.thumb.jpg.1cf8b18b2c970e29fba1a0b845530183.jpgScreenshot_20240613_112012_McDonaldsJP.thumb.jpg.545cefc7edbc6cc8b2d1ff6f8e832a9b.jpg

But no McRib listings.

At Wendy's you can get spicy nugs for cheaper and they're better than McDonald's spicy nugs IMO. They even have 50 count if you are looking to indulge mass quantity.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

At Wendy's you can get spicy nugs for cheaper and they're better than McDonald's spicy nugs IMO. They even have 50 count if you are looking to indulge mass quantity.

MassQuantitiesConehead.gif.634603e493500e9ed4566448218d2fc4.gif

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I haven't tried the Wendy's ones yet, but you haven't followed the Yen's devalue train..... nearly 157 yen to $1 is the trading rate right now, which makes their 5-piece 280 yen/$1.79. 4-piece Wendy's spicy nugs are $2.54. McD-Japan's spicy nugs are cheaper.

Edited by BachelorTrek

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

No Way Reaction GIF

The current homerun dugout celebration for Tennessee consist of the player wearing a leopard print(?) cape and a hat that has the word “daddy” on it. I believe they had a giant chain last year. Mullets and mustaches might be the least of our concerns. IMG_2845.thumb.jpeg.4885d695b31b3789727dc2cf79d440e6.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I'm gonna have a good laugh if it is vitello and we get beards/moostachios, mullets, and chainz

I'm pretty sure there will be a stipulation that player appearance conforms to current standards.  It's kind of a thing, like "no dogpiles until Omaha".

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Levi said:

The current homerun dugout celebration for Tennessee consist of the player wearing a leopard print(?) cape and a hat that has the word “daddy” on it. I believe they had a giant chain last year. Mullets and mustaches might be the least of our concerns. IMG_2845.thumb.jpeg.4885d695b31b3789727dc2cf79d440e6.jpeg

Oh, I'm totally aware of what they and other schools do with their celebrations and BS swag (chains and crap ie. Tommy White) that they wear. 

Not for it.

There's nothing wrong with grooming standards. 

Name on the front being much bigger than the one on the back (which we don't have).

Dog piling only once. 

Those 3 things don't need to be fucked with.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Oh, I'm totally aware of what they and other schools do with their celebrations and BS swag (chains and crap ie. Tommy White) that they wear. 

Not for it.

There's nothing wrong with grooming standards. 

Name on the front being much bigger than the one on the back (which we don't have).

Dog piling only once. 

Those 3 things don't need to be fucked with.

What about Bevo Blvd out in front of the Disch?  Gaming stations in the seats along first base side?  

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Imagine using Bevo Blvd an overwhelming gameday and atmosphere around the stadium success as a negative. Fucking nitwit.

40-50 college kids playing Fortnite while LSU 1B comes to the plate is genius.  Really is.

44 minutes ago, Levi said:

not sure the cape is even the biggest concern, do I see some camel toe there?

26 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

People are going to have to lighten up on this one, it is a part of the game now. Texas has their own team HR celebrations like everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, chase25 said:

People are going to have to lighten up on this one, it is a part of the game now. Texas has their own team HR celebrations like everyone else.

Agreed.  The current generation of players like it.  Let them have some damn fun, you old fogies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Oh really? No shit. 

We're just not full of douchebaggery. 

We don't ever need to go the route of Tiger King.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Right. But it’s the daddy hat for me and other props that can be a bit too much. I think Texas under Pierce had a football helmet? I don’t remember anything else. 

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Oh really? No shit. 

We're just not full of douchebaggery. 

We don't ever need to go the route of Tiger King.

I watched Ivan flip his bat back to the pitchers mound (which would be an ejection today) after destroying a baseball in 2022 against South Carolina. That is as douchebag as it gets and Ivan is a pretty mild mannered person.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Levi said:

Right. But it’s the daddy hat for me and other props that can be a bit too much. I think Texas under Pierce had a football helmet? I don’t remember anything else. 

The helmet was a joke after Sean Allen was hit with a foul ball in the face while in the dugout. 

They players gave it to him to wear at his next game for protection. The team went on a run, hit some homers, and it became part of the celebration in the dugout that carried into the post season.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

The daddy hat thing isn’t my cup of tea either, but when I’m deciding who the next coach of Texas should be, what props they use when celebrating a HR should not be a concern.

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I watched Ivan flip his bat back to the pitchers mound (which would be an ejection today) after destroying a baseball in 2022 against South Carolina. That is as douchebag as it gets and Ivan is a pretty mild mannered person.

OK, cool. 

He was talked too about that also... 

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

The helmet was a joke as to when Sean Allen was hit with a foul ball in the face while in the dugout. 

They players gave it to him to wear at his next game for protection. The team went on a run, hit some homers, and it became part of the celebration in the dugout that carried into the post season.

I remember and the reason why. Just wasn’t sure of anything outside of that. 

Just now, chase25 said:

The daddy hat thing isn’t my cup of tea either, but when I’m deciding who the next coach of Texas should be, what props they use when celebrating a HR should not be a concern.

Yeah I’ll accept it if we were to get Vitello. Props are what they do nowadays and I was mostly being subjective on which ones I think are fine. As for pimping home runs I’ve been game for that since day one.  

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

I remember and the reason why. Just wasn’t sure of anything outside of that. 

Yeah I’ll accept it if we were to get Vitello. Props are what they do nowadays and I was mostly being subjective on which ones I think are fine. As for pimping home runs I’ve been game for that since day one.  

Props to da Props.  Lulz.

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic