[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I'm guessing it is Vitello.

CDC probably said winner gets the job...

if we actually hire the winner of this game it will be glorious.

I think you're right, but Schloss seems better. Maybe Vitello is better if he wins the CWS over Schloss...

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Oh no.

Pierce had two years remaining on his contract after Del Conte gave him an extension in 2021. His salary was $1.2 million a year. An ugly incident with one of his pitchers after Texas’ early exit from the Big 12 Tournament in Arlington led to Pierce’s visit before the school’s Human Resources department and likely sealed his fate.

It was uncertain if Texas planned to fire him for cause over that altercation. He was entitled to 70% of his existing contract so Texas would be obligated to pay him about $1.68 million.

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The announcement right now likely means he has someone else lined up whose team is not playing.

You may be right, but why wasn't it announced days or weeks ago then? Could also be that they wanted to give Pierce a chance to address the team, and also be able to announce the hire at, I don't know, around 9pm this evening? Waiting until today provides the minimum amount of distraction for those still playing. So if it is one of them, it's honoring the request of said new coach. 

Educate me here.  In olden days, you couldn't poach somebody's head coach without extending the courtesy of asking permission to talk to them through the AD, and those discussions usually found the light of day.  Now I know that the Beard deal was done at the McD's in Plainview or wherever and don't remember the details.  Assuming it's Schloss, Texas and aggy have to play in the same sandbox to some extent in regards to the Legislature, etc.  Do any of these things matter any more?

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

Educate me here.  In olden days, you couldn't poach somebody's head coach without extending the courtesy of asking permission to talk to them through the AD, and those discussions usually found the light of day.  Now I know that the Beard deal was done at the McD's in Plainview or wherever and don't remember the details.  Assuming it's Schloss, Texas and aggy have to play in the same sandbox to some extent in regards to the Legislature, etc.  Do any of these things matter any more?

Like a gentleman's agreement? There is no legal requirement written into anything and there is no league governance for that. 

This is the faux amateur college athletics industry. Not the professional governed by real rules and league commission. 

• Hook 'Em 6