[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

6 minutes ago, troph said:

No because within 6 years he won it all, had the program ready to rake for a while, and was the best coach in the sport at our university, same for Gus (8 years). Their pinnacle was higher than DP’s.

I’ve lost confidence that DP can win it all here and once that’s not possible it’s time to go. If it is possible I can be patient. Same was the case with Gus and Augie. The problem there is how hard it is to fire legends. DP is no legend and Texas is not at the apex of the sport going into his 9th year. 

If it’s DP guess what, it’s 100% his program 8 years in. 8 years ago means squat.

Their level of competition was far different.  They also were far better at getting to the CWS than winning it with Texas, only winning it what 15% of the time? 
I haven’t put the numbers to it, but I believe Texas is probably #3 in terms of kicking out top baseball tslent these  days, which I’m not sure has always been the case.  Overall, there’s far more talent in players and coaches now.

You are correct that what Pierce inherited 8 years ago doesn’t matter now.  There was no portal, no NIL so what he did inherit was limited and wasn’t going to turnover immediately.

Appearing in 50% of CWS is an incredible standard.  One that in my opinion is not likely to hold over the long term.

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

No what ends up happening in these arguments is you take a hall of fame coaches entire career and body of work and put it up against someone’s story who is still being written. Pierce’s time may come to an end at the end of this season, not up to me.

For one David Pierce isn’t Augie that shouldn’t even have to be stated. Comparing to Gus is an excercise in futility partially because it was a totally different era and partly because if we hired our next head coach from South San Antonio High School in 2024 this board would lose their collective minds.

Augie’s track record from Cal State Fullerton carried him through the beginning of his tenure at Texas. His first 5 years amounted to 1 CWS appearance, 2 losing seasons, and not one regional host. That is hardly having the program ready to rake for awhile. Now the next 4 years they went on a run that is going to be hard to rival by any college baseball program with how much more competitive the sport is getting year after year.

To make a long story short, Augie’s first 5 years didn’t really inspire much of anything and then it happened, baseball can be fickle like that. Reality is Texas has the #3 class in 2024 and #2 class in 2025 (subject to change because of the draft). That’s with the last 4 years resulting in CWS (Big 12 title), CWS, SR (Big 12 title), season not over. If you are going to blow that up, you better be damn sure you have the next Augie Garrido on line 1, not fucking Erik Bakich and Tom Walter.

Bingo

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lets visit Pierce's CWS appearances:

2018: 6-1(L), 11-5(L)
2021: I'll give Pierce credit for this year because it was a good year
2022: 7-3(L), 10-2(L)

Outside of 2021 David Pierce Texas teams have been outscored at the CWS series 34-11 

So outside of his two top 8 finishes, has a top 3 finish?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yes I do think he can win in the SEC. 

Yes I do think he can win a title. We almost did it in 2021. 

Do I think it is  likely? No. But it is hard as fuck to win multiple titles as a coach in baseball. 

Again, he better be replaced by someone with some serious skins on the wall or we are going to fuck ourselves. 

If you think he can win it all - and with Texas resources that really means he should - then I have no issue with your position and respect it.

and for the record I thought he could until this season. I’ve had enough of late season fools gold with CWS flame outs. Jesus Christ fellas, Texas is a team that should be fucking feared in Omaha, we’ve largely made it barely and been outclassed. DP is a top 10-15 coach no doubt it’s just not good enough. And I won’t apologize for it, he lost my confidence this year. Time for him to go.

texas baseball standards should not be watered down - EVER.  The moment he’s not the guy that can win it all he needs to go. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, chase25 said:

No what ends up happening in these arguments is you take a hall of fame coaches entire career and body of work and put it up against someone’s story who is still being written. Pierce’s time may come to an end at the end of this season, not up to me.

For one David Pierce isn’t Augie that shouldn’t even have to be stated. Comparing to Gus is an excercise in futility partially because it was a totally different era and partly because if we hired our next head coach from South San Antonio High School in 2024 this board would lose their collective minds.

Augie’s track record from Cal State Fullerton carried him through the beginning of his tenure at Texas. His first 5 years amounted to 1 CWS appearance, 2 losing seasons, and not one regional host. That is hardly having the program ready to rake for awhile. Now the next 4 years they went on a run that is going to be hard to rival by any college baseball program with how much more competitive the sport is getting year after year.

To make a long story short, Augie’s first 5 years didn’t really inspire much of anything and then it happened, baseball can be fickle like that. Reality is Texas has the #3 class in 2024 and #2 class in 2025 (subject to change because of the draft). That’s with the last 4 years resulting in CWS (Big 12 title), CWS, SR (Big 12 title), season not over. If you are going to blow that up, you better be damn sure you have the next Augie Garrido on line 1, not fucking Erik Bakich and Tom Walter.

Did Texas baseball rake from 2002 on for the better part of 5-6 years? Yeah it did.

Augie almost got fired. I was there, I was losing hope. He turned it in the nick of time - in YEAR 6!!!

we are in year 8. You can’t tell me DP’s program is on the upswing, it’s not. 

and you for damn sure can compare Augie and DP at the 8 year mark of their tenure at Texas, and you should. 

as for Gus, outside of LSU, there is no program with more recourses than Texas. I’d argue what DP has at Texas is more akin to what Gus had than not.

look, if you think DP can win it all here, then I have zero issue with your position. But let’s be clear, the standard for Texas baseball is to be in the mix every year to win it all - that does not mean win it every year. But it also doesn’t mean making it to the CWS to be outclassed. That is not our standard. It’s just not.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Pierce record vs SEC says he'll never win the SEC.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Bakich would 100% win a title at Texas, he's 14 years younger, and he's attainable.

Ooooo I can play this game too.

Bakich record in the tourney says he'll never win the tourney. 

A guy with one CWS appearance and a whole bunch of regional losses?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Ooooo I can play this game too.

Bakich record in the tourney says he'll never win the tourney. 

A guy with one CWS appearance and a whole bunch of regional losses?

Bakich has played for a national title has Pierce?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, troph said:

If you think he can win it all - and with Texas resources that really means he should - then I have no issue with your position and respect it.

and for the record I thought he could until this season. I’ve had enough of late season fools gold with CWS flame outs. Jesus Christ fellas, Texas is a team that should be fucking feared in Omaha, we’ve largely made it barely and been outclassed. DP is a top 10-15 coach no doubt it’s just not good enough. And I won’t apologize for it, he lost my confidence this year. Time for him to go.

texas baseball standards should not be watered down - EVER.  The moment he’s not the guy that can win it all he needs to go. 

What changed your mind on winning it all?

Heres a big consideration.  The SEC runs over everyone.  Is it an advantage to be in the SEC?  From a recruiting standpoint, an excitement standpoint, a benefit of the doubt standpoint?  Because if that matters and I believe that it does, then it improves his chances.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Heres a big consideration.  The SEC runs over everyone.  Is it an advantage to be in the SEC?  From a recruiting standpoint, an excitement standpoint, a benefit of the doubt standpoint?  Because if that matters and I believe that it does, then it improves his chances.

Only if he wins but he doesn't do well vs SEC and won't win. Our facilities and NIL are behind the top SEC teams.

Just now, Had Enough said:

Mostly time. 

mostly performance in the post season - which has been really good but not great. If you accept that Texas belongs in the CWS often, then performance in that tourney should be spotlighted. He’s an older coach and has been there numerous times and he just doesn’t have the roster or the ability to get his teams over the hump. Texas has had one really good showing in Omaha, other than that it’s pretty bad actually. Did you know there is was a time in the not so distant past that Texas had NEVER gone 0-2 in Omaha? Texas winning and making deep runs in Omaha is really the standard and I just haven’t seen him do it.

he’s had some success, even this year with some of the pitchers but I don’t think he’s an elite pitching coach yet here we are. I think he’s been an ok recruiter and program sustainer but frankly I think he’s of an age where what you see is what you get. He’s good. He’s just not great. I’ve seen enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Reality is Texas has the #3 class in 2024 and #2 class in 2025 (subject to change because of the draft). That’s with the last 4 years resulting in CWS (Big 12 title), CWS, SR (Big 12 title), season not over. If you are going to blow that up, you better be damn sure you have the next Augie Garrido on line 1, not fucking Erik Bakich and Tom Walter.

Are 2025 recruits signed yet?? (No clue on that deadline)

How has Pierce handled transfer portal??

Pierce lost me this season... just too much ugly baseball in multiple stretches and lack of development of pitching.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're right playing for a national championship at Michigan of al places is worse than getting shit on and going 2 and q

So one fluke run is your standard for success? Time to go get Gary Gilmore. Since 2016, the year he won the title, he too has 4 regional losses under his belt. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Only if he wins but he doesn't do well vs SEC and won't win. Our facilities and NIL are behind the top SEC teams.

Sorta my point.  If he’s not on equal footing with those programs, how do you compare?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, troph said:

On the flip side, anyone wanting Pierce to be fired and replaced with a lesser resume, must be comfortable with the risk that it comes with. There is like 3 or 4 guys that aren’t up there in age and still have an equal or better resume than Pierce. If we can’t get one of those guys with one being Vitello(barf), then the assumed risk is greater than keeping Pierce. Imo if Bakich makes a deep run with Clemson then he maybe moves into the quality resume guys. 

Edited by Levi
Missed word

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Sorta my point.  If he’s not on equal footing with those programs, how do you compare?

Fire him, easy.

1 minute ago, Levi said:

On the flip side, anyone wanting Pierce to be fired and replaced with a lesser resume, must be comfortable with the risk that it comes with. There is like 3 or 4 guys that aren’t up there in age and still have an equal or better resume than Pierce. If we can’t get one of those guys with one being Vitello(barf), then the assumed risk is greater than keeping Pierce. Imo if Bakich makes a deep run with Clemson then he moves into the quality resume guys. 

There have been a handful of guys mentioned with far better resumes than what Pierce had at the time of his hiring.

Fire him, easy.

There have been a handful of guys mentioned with far better resumes than what Pierce had at the time of his hiring.

That’s the key. At the time of his hiring. And for me I think CDC has proven he can pick coaches. So I’d rather give him the keys than keep DP around. 

in the end i’m just a fan, so who gives a fuck. But yes if CDC makes a move I’ll deal with the risk, but renewed hope of Texas competing for national championships when there is none now would be a breath of fresh air. 

in the end some of us just see this differently, but hey this is still the best forum on the board with the most intelligent posters so even the debate among us is fine and good.

basically I have a lot of respect for those saying he can win it all, I hope you’re right if he gets more time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

, Texas is a team that should be fucking feared in Omaha, we’ve largely made it barely and been outclassed. 

We have been 38 times and only won it 6.  We have gone 2 and Q 7x.

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lets visit Pierce's CWS appearances:

2018: 6-1(L), 11-5(L)
2021: I'll give Pierce credit for this year because it was a good year
2022: 7-3(L), 10-2(L)

Outside of 2021 David Pierce Texas teams have been outscored at the CWS series 34-11 

Jesus Christ, what a prototypical Longhorn "fan" post.  "Let's look at what's happened except for when it was really good".

Idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fire him, easy.

You can just stop with that “at the time of his hiring” nonsense. We are at the present with what Pierce has shown. We can’t go back in time and have an administration and AD know what the fuck they’re doing. So acting like we should hire guys with comparable resumes before Pierce was hired is stupid. If we are going to fire a guy with 3 CWS appearances than the replacement better be far better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Balcones said:

We have been 38 times and only won it 6.  We have gone 2 and Q 7x.

I fucking get that Texas has only won 6 times and I think you may be wrong about 7x 0-2 btw. 

How many runner ups? Count em up. We are in a major dry spell when you consider deep runs in Omaha and DP’s performance.

the hard part here is he’s just barely missing the mark but he’s consistently missing it. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Mostly time. 

mostly performance in the post season - which has been really good but not great. If you accept that Texas belongs in the CWS often, then performance in that tourney should be spotlighted. He’s an older coach and has been there numerous times and he just doesn’t have the roster or the ability to get his teams over the hump. Texas has had one really good showing in Omaha, other than that it’s pretty bad actually. Did you know there is was a time in the not so distant past that Texas had NEVER gone 0-2 in Omaha? Texas winning and making deep runs in Omaha is really the standard and I just haven’t seen him do it.

he’s had some success, even this year with some of the pitchers but I don’t think he’s an elite pitching coach yet here we are. I think he’s been an ok recruiter and program sustainer but frankly I think he’s of an age where what you see is what you get. He’s good. He’s just not great. I’ve seen enough. 

I believe that first two and out was Augie.  Pre SEC and ACC takeover.  

Pierce is pretty much what he is.  I’d say he’s good but not great.  He has had success though.  Perhaps not quite to the desired level that we hope, but next year the field levels out a bit.  The on field performance warrants another year.  Don’t take that to mean I think he’s special, but truth is that Augie in game wasn’t either. It’s the behind the scenes stuff that’s more concerning or actually leads to speculation.  If CDC determines, he needs to go, fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ, what a prototypical Longhorn "fan" post.  "Let's look at what's happened except for when it was really good".

Idiot.

So keep Pierce because MAYBE next year we will do better?

Texas Baseball, always next year!

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

You can just stop with that “at the time of his hiring” nonsense. We are at the present with what Pierce has shown. We can’t go back in time and have an administration and AD know what the fuck they’re doing. So acting like we should hire guys with comparable resumes before Pierce was hired is stupid. If we are going to fire a guy with 3 CWS appearances than the replacement better be far better. 

So you don't think more accomplished coaches at the time of hiring would not make a difference? lol okay.

Just now, Had Enough said:

I believe that first two and out was Augie.  Pre SEC and ACC takeover.  

Pierce is pretty much what he is.  I’d say he’s good but not great.  He has had success though.  Perhaps not quite to the desired level that we hope, but next year the field levels out a bit.  The on field performance warrants another year.  Don’t take that to mean I think he’s special, but truth is that Augie in game wasn’t either. It’s the behind the scenes stuff that’s more concerning or actually leads to speculation.  If CDC determines, he needs to go, fine.

Yes it was Augie. 2000 I think? I was pissed.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Congrats on getting blown the fuck out out, i guess. The new Texas Standard at least we made it!

38 trips to the CWS. We have only won it 6x. Do the math pal.

Also, do you think we go 2 and Q more or win it all? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

38 trips to the CWS. We have only won it 6x. Do the math pal.

Also, do you think we go 2 and Q more or win it all? 

You keep leaving out out 6 runners ups in this....i find that interesting.

So of 38 appearances we played for the title at minimum 12 times or just about a 1/3 of the time....just interesting you keep leaving this out of this reply.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

Did Texas baseball rake from 2002 on for the better part of 5-6 years? Yeah it did.

Augie almost got fired. I was there, I was losing hope. He turned it in the nick of time - in YEAR 6!!!

we are in year 8. You can’t tell me DP’s program is on the upswing, it’s not. 

and you for damn sure can compare Augie and DP at the 8 year mark of their tenure at Texas, and you should. 

as for Gus, outside of LSU, there is no program with more recourses than Texas. I’d argue what DP has at Texas is more akin to what Gus had than not.

look, if you think DP can win it all here, then I have zero issue with your position. But let’s be clear, the standard for Texas baseball is to be in the mix every year to win it all - that does not mean win it every year. But it also doesn’t mean making it to the CWS to be outclassed. That is not our standard. It’s just not.

I'm not going to put words in your mouth but the crowd that wants to fire him are holding him to a standard that would dilute Augie's 20 years at Texas down to 5 good years (6 if you want to throw in 2014) which is asinine, especially in baseball.

We are at the point with many of you where I would almost like to see y'all running the coaching search just for the pure entertainment of it.

"Yeah so Erik we really want you to be the next HC at Texas, now lets get into the expectations. 0-2 at Omaha is unacceptable have to win at least 1 game every yea...."

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

• Haha 1

Texas Baseball, always next year!

Dumb motherfuckers always have half the solution.  I'm not exactly a big DP fan, but I see extenuating circumstances and can respect them.  Idiots like you can't.  Covid season we looked very good, last year we came a fucking boneheaded play away from possibly advancing to Omaha, this year we had massive personnel issues.  Not ALL of that can be put on the coach.

Combine that with the fact that there ARE no Augies out there, and you had damn well better be fucking careful for what you wish for.  Beyond that, the purse-swinging pearl-clutching Nancy attitude of some of you people makes me sick.  The season is not over yet.  Half of you wish it was.  Fucking disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dumb motherfuckers always have half the solution.  I'm not exactly a big DP fan, but I see extenuating circumstances and can respect them.  Idiots like you can't.  Covid season we looked very good, last year we came a fucking boneheaded play away from possibly advancing to Omaha, this year we had massive personnel issues.  Not ALL of that can be put on the coach.

Combine that with the fact that there ARE no Augies out there, and you had damn well better be fucking careful for what you wish for.  Beyond that, the purse-swinging pearl-clutching Nancy attitude of some of you people makes me sick.  The season is not over yet.  Half of you wish it was.  Fucking disgusting.

So because there will never be an Augie again we should just keep Pierce forever then, got it.

• Haha 1

You keep leaving out out 6 runners ups in this....i find that interesting.

So of 38 appearances we played for the title at minimum 13 times or just a little over a 1/3 of the time....just interesting you keep leaving this out of this reply.

Thank you. I did this before but am too lazy to do it tonight. 1/3 of the time Texas has had made it to the CWS (a record number of times) Texas has been playing for it all. That’s the fucking standard if you ask me. DP seems close but he’s much farther from that than he is close to it. I’ve lost confidence it is what it is.

Texas Baseball, always next year

So you don't think more accomplished coaches at the time of hiring would make a difference? lol okay.

Again, reading comprehension. And I do think hiring a better coach would have put us in a better case right now but you’re acting like it’s ok to hire another Pierce from Tulane. Why would you want that to be the standard hiring process? We got pretty damn lucky hiring a guy like Pierce and getting the results we have thus far. Football and basketball have shown what happens more often than not. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I'm not going to put words in your mouth but the crowd that wants to fire him are holding him to a standard that would dilute Augie's 20 years at Texas down to 5 good years (6 if you want to throw in 2014) which is asinine, especially in baseball.

We are at the point with many of you where I would almost like to see y'all running the coaching search just for the pure entertainment of it.

"Yeah so Erik we really want you to be the next HC at Texas, now lets get into the expectations. 0-2 at Omaha is unacceptable have to win at least 1 game every yea...."

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

But you are putting words into my mouth. Next time try harder, I have too much respect for you to have you do that.  

1 minute ago, Levi said:

Again, reading comprehension. And I do think hiring a better coach would have put us in a better case right now but you’re acting like it’s ok to hire another Pierce from Tulane. Why would you want that to be the standard hiring process? We got pretty damn lucky hiring a guy like Pierce and getting the results we have thus far. Football and basketball have shown what happens more often than not. 

I've listed coaches with better resumes than Pierce had at Tulane at his time of hiring....so no I'm advocating for better hires than Pierce was. 

So because there will never be an Augie again we should just keep Pierce forever then, got it.

That isnt what he said. He said you better make sure you nail the fucking hire. Because if not you will slide into a deep pit of irrelevance where you wish you could have Pierce era success again. 

Posted (edited)

How many times did Augie’s teams win it all or play for a title? I think the number is 4 maybe more?

I don’t think DP will do either once, let alone at least 4 times before he “retires”. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

That isnt what he said. He said you better make sure you nail the fucking hire. Because if not you will slide into a deep pit of irrelevance where you wish you could have Pierce era success again. 

Don't worry DP is steering us to irrelevance in this modern NIL/portal era

1 minute ago, troph said:

But you are putting words into my mouth. Next time try harder, I have too much respect for you to have you do that.  

No that is why I said the "crowd" not you personally. And in responding to you I'm responding to a general group that has a similar sentiment as you

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

How many times did Augie’s teams win it all or play for a title? I think the number is SIX. 

I don’t think DP will do either once, let alone SIX times before he “retires”. 

You do realize Augie was arguably the greatest college baseball coach of all time, right?

Do you hold yourself to a similar professional standard?  What the fuck?

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're right playing for a national championship at Michigan of al places is worse than getting shit on and going 2 and q

Fresno State and Coastal Carolina are looking at you sideways.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

No that is why I said the "crowd" not you personally. And in responding to you I'm responding to a general group that has a similar sentiment as you

Fair enough.  For the record, I don’t have the same view for basketball or even football, and I’ll admit my position about what the Texas baseball standard is and whether DP measures up is tough and there is room for alternate views especially if you think DP can still win it all. 

I've listed coaches with better resumes than Pierce had at Tulane at his time of hiring....so no I'm advocating for better hires than Pierce was. 

You’re not entirely because if you were then your list should include (no particular order):

Vitello, O’Conner, O’Sullivan, Schloss, Gilmore, Savage and any other coach in the country with a better resume than Pierce has right now.

The Walter’s and Bakich’s should be on the outside looking in. 

Don't worry DP is steering us to irrelevance in this modern NIL/portal era

Yeah, so much irrelevance that we have enjoyed deep postseason runs more often than not during his tenure. We have been a couple of bad breaks away from making another trip to Omaha and from winning it all. This season was a fucking disaster on paper with the roster and the team has persevered to be in a position of relevance this postseason. We may flame out or go on a run. But I am not giving up on them the way all of yall already have. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

You do realize Augie was arguably the greatest college baseball coach of all time, right?

Do you hold yourself to a similar professional standard?  What the fuck?

Since you called me out kinda (and I know you’re not coming at me) … I mean I’m really fucking good at what I do and given my personal - let’s call it “story” and the bullshit I and my people have to manage on that front - yeah I’m pretty fucking phenomenal. 

but returning to the discussion of what matters, Texas baseball makes legends, Texas baseball hires legends. It’s the fucking standard. DP is neither.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

You’re not entirely because if you were then your list should include (no particular order):

Vitello, O’Conner, O’Sullivan, Schloss, Gilmore, Savage and any other coach in the country with a better resume than Pierce has right now.

The Walter’s and Bakich’s should be on the outside looking in. 

Yeah because playing for a title is worse than 3 regionals that Pierce had

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic