[Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Just now, troph said:

but returning to the discussion of what matters, Texas baseball makes legends, Texas baseball hires legends. It’s the fucking standard. DP is neither.

Oh, please.  Texas baseball has hired one legend.  The other was essentially home grown, and came out of a high school program.  You overestimate what we do.

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yeah, so much irrelevance that we have enjoyed deep postseason runs more often than not during his tenure. We have been a couple of bad breaks away from making another trip to Omaha and from winning it all. This season was a fucking disaster on paper with the roster and the team has persevered to be in a position of relevance this postseason. We may flame out or go on a run. But I am not giving up on them the way all of yall already have. 

You cannot call the COVID season that wasn’t a bad break keeping us from winning it all. 

and deep in the CWS is not the same as a deep run meaning CWS appearances.

all that said maybe it’s a new era where Texas and a bunch of other programs  battle it out and Texas can win once every 20 years. I think that would be putrid yet here we are. 22 years since our last. Blame Augie for staying too long. Blame someone else too. 

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, please.  Texas baseball has hired one legend.  The other was essentially home grown, and came out of a high school program.  You overestimate what we do.

Make legends ? Jesus Christ bubba fucking read. Texas is one of the most storied programs in all of college baseball - our history is littered with legends for fuck sake. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah because playing for a title is worse than 3 regionals that Pierce had

One fluke year doesnt make someone qualified to be the head coach of a major institution. Don't be a dumbass. In baseball of all sports, sustained success is so important because the odds you win it all in the CWS is so low that it becomes a game of odds and making it consistently to maximize your chances becomes your best bet. To act like a one off run where a coach defied the odds and captured the title and never makes it back is a superior option to Pierce is a fucking joke of the highest order. I swear I am talking to a bunch of people who have never touched a bat or thrown a meaningful pitch in their entire lives.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

You cannot call the COVID season that wasn’t a bad break keeping us from winning it all. 

If you're the college baseball fan you purport to be, you should know that team was wicked good.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah because playing for a title is worse than 3 regionals that Pierce had

No, if I’m choosing to hire a new coach, I just prefer guys that won a title over ones have played for one in 14 years. 

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Go count’em up

Either way before 2000 the answer was ZERO.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you're the college baseball fan you purport to be, you should know that team was wicked good.

I am aware can we put the trophy in the case? Were we one bad play away from winning it all? No, an entire fucking season. Jesus. This is aggy level wishcasting.

Just now, troph said:

Make legends ? Jesus Christ bubba fucking read. Texas is one of the most storied programs in all of college baseball - our history is littered with legends for fuck sake. 

I'm not downplaying Disch & Falk, but come on, that was a completely different time and place, and you know it.

1 minute ago, troph said:

and deep in the CWS is not the same as a deep run meaning CWS appearances.

all that said maybe it’s a new era where Texas and a bunch of other programs  battle it out and Texas can win once every 20 years. I think that would be putrid yet here we are. 22 years since our last. Blame Augie for staying too long. Blame someone else too. 

I was calling the loss to Miss State the bad break. We were a swing of the bat away from taking that one. But anyways, we can all play the what if game. DP is what his record says it is. Fire him and get a guy with more skins, otherwise, he should stay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Either way before 2000 the answer was ZERO.

I am aware can we put the trophy in the case? Were we one bad play away from winning it all? No, an entire fucking season. Jesus. This is aggy level wishcasting.

What the fuck happened to you?  Seriously, are you OK?  That was a DP team and it was damn good.  Did I put the motherfucking trophy in the motherfucking case?  No?  Then get the fuck out of here with your Aggie insults.  Fuck off.

I’m too old for internet slap fights in the evening. my last say… 

I don’t think DP has what it takes to win it all. That’s it. I did until this year. If he sticks around and wins it all I’ll say I was wrong and celebrate the title. 

glad we are all on the same side even in disagreements.

hook ‘em horns! 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What the fuck happened to you?  Seriously, are you OK?  That was a DP team and it was damn good.  Did I put the motherfucking trophy in the motherfucking case?  No?  Then get the fuck out of here with your Aggie insults.  Fuck off.

I’m fine. Truly. Ok going to watch a movie.

37 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You keep leaving out out 6 runners ups in this....i find that interesting.

So of 38 appearances we played for the title at minimum 12 times or just about a 1/3 of the time....just interesting you keep leaving this out of this reply.

Angie and I share the same sentiment about runner-up finishes. 

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Pierce has a CWS ring. Bakich doesn’t.

Wait...

"During the 2019 season, Bakich led the Wolverines to a 50–22 record, including a 16–7 Big Ten Conference record, as they advanced to the College World Series for the first time since 1984. On June 15, 2019, Bakich was named the NCBWA National Coach of the Year.  Later that year, Bakich received the 2019 Skip Bertman Award."

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Wait...

"During the 2019 season, Bakich led the Wolverines to a 50–22 record, including a 16–7 Big Ten Conference record, as they advanced to the College World Series for the first time since 1984. On June 15, 2019, Bakich was named the NCBWA National Coach of the Year.  Later that year, Bakich received the 2019 Skip Bertman Award."

Where does that say Bakich won a national championship ring?

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wait...

He's saying Pierce won a national title while an assistant coach at Rice.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Where does that say Bakich won a national championship ring?

Where did you say Championship ring??

Balcones

"Pierce has a CWS ring. Bakich doesn’t."

Also pierce was an assistant...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Where did you say Championship ring??

Balcones

"Pierce has a CWS ring. Bakich doesn’t."

College World Series Ring. You win one when you win the whole thing. They don’t get a ring for making it to Omaha. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Charlie Strong has a national championship ring too.

I'm not the one who offered the point, I'm just clarifying what was said.  I don't think it necessarily speaks to Pierce's qualifications. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Pierce needs to look across I35 and be relentless with NIL and pursuit of transfers. He's treated it like a tool to fill in the occasional lineup/staff gaps. Many of the Top 8 seeds this year and last year were schools that brought in absolute horses via the portal (Burns, Montgomery, etc)

Did we lose a couple of portal bullpen arms to injury before this season? Yes, unfortunately. Did we also enter the season with presumably one live starting arm (turned out to be zero) and a bag of hopes? Also yes. 

So what the fuck were we waiting for?

Now either Pierce doesn't understand the portal benefits sufficiently, or he doesn't have the juice to get the program coffers sufficiently lined. 

Either scenario falls under his responsibility and either should lead a reasonable person to pessimism about where this thing is headed.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not the one who offered the point, I'm just clarifying what was said.  I don't think it necessarily speaks to Pierce's qualifications. 

Yep. Had nothing to do with it. Just along for the ride.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, a lot of assistant head coaches have CWS Championship rings.  Doesn't mean they should be Head Coach of Longhorns Baseball

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One of the dumbest statements made in this entire thread. Congrats. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Yep. Had nothing to do with it. Just along for the ride.

I didn't say that.  I'm simply saying that one might be a valuable assistant on a CWS championship team but not necessarily be what it takes to be a top level head coach.  Do you disagree?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Lets visit Pierce's CWS appearances:

2018: 6-1(L), 11-5(L)
2021: I'll give Pierce credit for this year because it was a good year
2022: 7-3(L), 10-2(L)

Outside of 2021 David Pierce Texas teams have been outscored at the CWS series 34-11 

So because there is not a "sure thing" which there never is we should stick with a guy who has peaked just because? Why is that? Why not try someone who has better resuem at time of hiring than what Pierce had at his time of hiring? Give said person the resources and talent that Pierce has had and lets see.....but keeping Pierce to keep Pierce because there isn't an Augie out there is fucking retarded.

It's worse than that, go look at the his Super Regionals those 1st two years. It was the equivalent of facing double digit seeds in the NCAAT to make your run. Not to mention, those home regionals were pillow soft.

Pierce is 13-1 at home during the NCAAT, while 11-11 on the road and in Omaha.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

It's worse than that, go look at the his Super Regionals those 1st two years. It was the equivalent of facing double digit seeds in the NCAAT to make your run. Not to mention, those home regionals were pillow soft.

Pierce is 13-1 at home during the NCAAT, while 11-11 on the road and in Omaha.

That is a bizarre criticism since being at home is what happens when you are the better seed and are hosting and is usually reserved for the earliest/middle rounds of the tourney. Being 11-11 on the road and in Omaha is not the criticism you think it is. Being 13-1 at home is actually pretty damn good tbh.  

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

That is a bizarre criticism since being at home is what happens when you are the better seed and are hosting and is usually reserved for the earliest/middle rounds of the tourney. Being 11-11 on the road and in Omaha is not the criticism you think it is. Being 13-1 at home is actually pretty damn good tbh.  

Beyond that, what would one expect on the road in the postseason or in Omaha, against what is ostensibly very good competition?  0.500 is shameful?  Come on.

Is he Augie?  No.  Nobody is claiming otherwise.

I'm pretty down on Pierce and don't think he's our long term answer, but I'm also in the camp of "who do we hire then?". There really isn't anyone we can get that has some great resume that's way better than DP. Not sure what we should do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, b_p said:

Pierce is Rick Barnes

Honestly probably a fair comparison, and guess who replaced Rick Barnes? Shaka fucking Smart because why? Oh yeah he had that one Final Four run that one year at VCU. That is pretty much exactly what is playing out in this thread, just the baseball version.

• Hook 'Em 2

College baseball standards.  Only 7 of the teams on this list are in regionals.  Notice the lack of SEC and ACC teams on the list.  Yet they have the lions share of the top 8 seeds, the regional host sites.

One of those names had a coach that left for an ACC program.  Why?  It’s a shift in paradigm.  Competitive advantages beyond just being a northern school.

We can have a standard but realize that’s a very different era.  I’d be surprised if UConn dominates women’s basketball again.  OU softball, we shall see.  Once competition enters the arena, it becomes difficult to maintain.  It’s a bit like saying a team ERA of 4.00 is crappy.  Understand the environment.

And understand that we negate one advantage other programs beginning next year.  

Here are the DI college baseball programs with the most Men's College World Series titles:

• USC has won 12 Men's College World Series championships
  • LSU is alone in second with seven after winning the title in 2023
  • Texas follows with six
  • Arizona State has won five
  • Arizona, Cal State Fullerton, Miami and tied with four
  • Minnesota and Oregon State have each won three
  • Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Stanford, Oklahoma, Michigan and California have each won two

24 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The criticism is that he faced shitty teams in Austin, which allowed him to advance farther in the tournament than he would have normally done if he had to face Ole Miss on the road or Florida in Austin instead of Tennessee Tech and South Florida. I don't understand why people want to keep this guy around. He took over complete control of the pitching staff and followed it up with one of the worst performances in that last 10-15 seasons, not to mention the ever changing assistant coaches including one that fucking quit before the conference portion of this season. These aren't signs of a program trending in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Honestly probably a fair comparison, and guess who replaced Rick Barnes? Shaka fucking Smart because why? Oh yeah he had that one Final Four run that one year at VCU. That is pretty much exactly what is playing out in this thread, just the baseball version.

We also had Patterson leading that coaching search, and followed that up with Perin which is how Pierce got the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We also had Patterson leading that coaching search, and followed that up with Perin which is how Pierce got the job.

CDC would have never hired Pierce. I’m trying to remember but wasn’t the hiring of Pierce basically a clusterfuck process as well?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Who hired Shaka is irrelevant, that wasn't the comparison. If the names CDC has at the top of his list are the same ones that are being mentioned in this thread, you are about to hire a baseball coach for one of the reasons Shaka was hired.

If CDC has a 2 time SEC champ at a baseball doormat at the top of his list and has good reason to believe he would jump, then sign me up. That is the only name that moves the needle at this time in my opinion.

Edited by chase25

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The criticism is that he faced shitty teams in Austin, which allowed him to advance farther in the tournament than he would have normally done if he had to face Ole Miss on the road or Florida in Austin instead of Tennessee Tech and South Florida. I don't understand why people want to keep this guy around. He took over complete control of the pitching staff and followed it up with one of the worst performances in that last 10-15 seasons, not to mention the ever changing assistant coaches including one that fucking quit before the conference portion of this season. These aren't signs of a program trending in the right direction.

That again is a bizarre criticism considering his team's regular season success is what allowed them to have a home regional against weaker foes. Should we say, naw, tournament committee, we don't want that home regional, we would rather go on the road and face Tenn in Knoxville? You also cant control who your super regional opponents are. He beat who was put in front of him. 

6 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Who hired Shaka is irrelevant, that wasn't the comparison. If the names CDC has at the top of his list are the same ones that are being mentioned in this thread, you are about to hire a baseball coach for one of the reasons Shaka was hired.

This is false it’s not irrelevant. It’s not a shocker that Patterson hired two awful coaches while CDC has been nails in hiring coaches. It matters, organization structure matters of a hire. You’re fooling yourself if you don’t think CDC could hire a better coach than Pierce….especially given since Pierce was 3rd or 4th on the interim ADs list at the time of his hiring. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is false it’s not irrelevant. It’s not a shocker that Patterson hired two awful coaches while CDC has been nails in hiring coaches. It matters, organization structure matters of a hire. You’re fooling yourself if you don’t think CDC could hire a better coach than Pierce….especially given since Pierce was 3rd or 4th on the interim ADs list at the time of his hiring. 

It is not false, you just don't believe that Smart is comparable to Bakich and Walter. Which is fine. I do agree that organizational structure from the top down matters greatly, but that is not ultimately why Shaka failed.

There is a better coach than Pierce, that doesn't take me having to have a conversation with, to see that, who I also believe is attainable. Wasn't able to edit my post to add before you quoted it.

I would not have hired Pierce back in 2016. So what, we don't have a time machine and all things considered I think he has done a really good job as a whole. If you think Bakich is the guy, who am I to say otherwise as a matter of fact. I don't believe he is, and he hasn't shown anything to state otherwise. Which brings us back full circle to hiring Pierce, if you wouldn't hire Pierce, why would you hire someone who has had one Cinderella run as a 3 seed and has no conference titles in almost 14 full seasons as a HC? If he had some conference titles along the way and say another Omaha appearance while at Michigan to show some semblance of sustainability than I would say go for it.

You don't like Pierce enough to take a shot in the dark and dance with a devil you don't know for the sake of change. I would rather dance with the devil I do know. That really seems to be the difference.

• Like 1

Last time Pierce lost a regional game was when they went to Long Beach his first year. He’s 12-0 ever since. The guy has taken care of business in the regionals and yet somehow it’s not that good because other higher seeds choked in their own regional. Ole Miss lost 2 straight to TT in the final and then Florida goes 0-2 in their own regional. What is Pierce supposed to do?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Levi said:

Last time Pierce lost a regional game was when they went to Long Beach his first year. He’s 12-0 ever since. The guy has taken care of business in the regionals and yet somehow it’s not that good because other higher seeds choked in their own regional. Ole Miss lost 2 straight to TT in the final and then Florida goes 0-2 in their own regional. What is Pierce supposed to do?

Funny you mention that. I remember that Long beach state regional. Those games against long beach state were fucking criminal. Crooked ass umpires.  

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] David Pierce Has Left The Building - FIRED
  • immamac locked and unlocked this topic